THE OLD CACHE****

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I would do. Introduce yourself to the new landowner. Tell them that you used to live in the house. Show proof if you have it. Then tell them that as a youngster, you and some friends buried a "time capsule" and that now, unfortunately, one of the old gang has passed and you wanted to bring the time capsule to the family gathering so you all could remember the good old days. Tell them you know exactly where it is and that it will only take you a few minutes to recover, and that you will leave the yard in great shape and won't make a mess. This should peruade them to let you come on to the property and get your goods.

This is a good suggestion. You may want to also bring a body of your 'friend'. The more proof of your story being true the more likely they will to let you dig. Plus they would probably want to get a dead body off their property as quickly as possible so it makes your request more a time is of the essence request. Good luck.

NJ

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DeerStalker
Here's what I would do. Introduce yourself to the new landowner. Tell them that you used to live in the house. Show proof if you have it. Then tell them that as a youngster, you and some friends buried a "time capsule" and that now, unfortunately, one of the old gang has passed and you wanted to bring the time capsule to the family gathering so you all could remember the good old days. Tell them you know exactly where it is and that it will only take you a few minutes to recover, and that you will leave the yard in great shape and won't make a mess. This should peruade them to let you come on to the property and get your goods.

This is a good suggestion. You may want to also bring a body of your 'friend'. The more proof of your story being true the more likely they will to let you dig. Plus they would probably want to get a dead body off their property as quickly as possible so it makes your request more a time is of the essence request. Good luck.

NJ

I like these two, but what if he agrees and watches you dig it up? I don't like people watching me dig, but in this case I think I would like to watch if I was the land owner. But what if the the cache is clear and sees nothing but coins then he knows it a lie. What if it isn't clear and he ask to open it? You can say no we will open it together. Other than that I do like it.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...you say you haven't even been back to see the old house/property. How do you even know the yard still looks the same as it did when you lived there? For all you know, your rock may have been dug up and an inground swimming pool installed - now clean fill at someone else's home. 60 years is a long time. I'd bet multiple owners of the land. I know lots of folks landscape when they buy houses. Your first step should be a drive-by to see what the house and yard look like. If things look the same, introduce yourself and go for it. If it looks different, moot point, move on. Remember, things look different from an adult prospective. You are so sure it is 10 feet from the street. 10 feet as a kid (unless you used a measuring tape) in reality can 2 feet. Get my point? Kids have no true sense of time, space, measure. You need to check out property first, without talking to anyone. Take a walk by the house or drive by. I've said enough...getting frustrated with you. Are you actually asking for someone else to do your digging???

robertwhite

Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do some of you people not get it? There is NO cache at an old house, there is no $12M cache (Frankn' other thread) and all this is just a tall tale? If Frankn has been MD/TH for 40 years as he says, do you honestly believe he "just" remembered a cache of silver dollars that he buried as a child? Do you honestly believe that he would not accept a deal for a potential $3M?

Listen up people, some of you are being duped and all Frankn is doing is laughing at you via his computer.

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Do some of you people not get it? There is NO cache at an old house, there is no $12M cache (Frankn' other thread) and all this is just a tall tale? If Frankn has been MD/TH for 40 years as he says, do you honestly believe he "just" remembered a cache of silver dollars that he buried as a child? Do you honestly believe that he would not accept a deal for a potential $3M?

Listen up people, some of you are being duped and all Frankn is doing is laughing at you via his computer.

Yup I believe you are correct, anyone with 40 years experience wouldn't need to ask how to retrieve a childhood treasure he buried, there is only 2 answers, you ask permission or you break the law and trespass on private property. People don't get sucked into another fairy tale with no end in site, that is all this is.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RobertWhite,
I fully understand...at first Frankn really ticked me off now I love him. I look at is posts as pure entertainment from a quirky weird uncle. I read that offer post for one fully page of replies then ignored it but I think last time I saw it the thing it was up to 10 pages. It may give the counter thingy post a run for its money...lol. Good stuff.
NJ

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got it a long time ago...Im glad Im not the only one. Hes a master at provoking disscusion but pretty easy to see through if you stop and think about it for a second.

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Ok here's my issue with this thread I keep asking if the coins are American because here is a man with so much experience he can't describe an American coin he says it's different from what we have now it has a bird sitting on it. The only dollar with a bird sitting is a peace dollar. Wouldn't a person with this much experience know what a peace dollar is

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a twist to add to the cache story lines.... The next personal attack gets a nice timeout to think about it.....

For those who have forgotten the rules or just don't want to take the time to go read the rules here are are some excerpts .................

By using this site, you agree you have read, understand, and will abide by the following terms and conditions....
FORUM GUIDELINES

Keep the discussion civil, respectful and on topic.

If you disagree with another member's post, make your comments in a polite and respectful manner.

Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone.

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

Sniping, name calling, denegration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!

TreasureNet - Rules

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude...
I know of a family treasure possibly buried on private property. A cache of silver dollars much bigger that the $13.00 dollars worth you're talking about. All these years and I'm mum on the location. Go ask the current landowners about detecting the area.....if they will let you. That's my problem....can't get permission. I'm the second generation treasure hunter on this one....but you MUST keep it above board.

Al

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
ppratt. AS I said before it is a sitting Eagle. I am not a coin collector and do not follow coin values. Yes this is an American silver dollar. I might keep one or two coins from a cache find, but sell off the rest. That time period would put it shortly after WWII. is that when the peace dollars circulated?

Deepskyal, In my case, I buried the cache of silver dollars, so I consider them mine. Did a member of your family bury that cache?

hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
ppratt. AS I said before it is a sitting Eagle. I am not a coin collector and do not follow coin values. Yes this is an American silver dollar. I might keep one or two coins from a cache find, but sell off the rest. That time period would put it shortly after WWII. is that when the peace dollars circulated?

This seems wrong to me. If I just found something and was going to sell it. I would do research on it to see if it was worth anything, and also to make sure I wasn't getting a bad deal. What if you had a few 1921 and 1928 P dollars in there and took them for silver price? Do you not know there key coins along with a few other years in that series? I would personally take you for a ride if you were willing to sell for spot value, just on sheer ignorance alone.

I know the rules say we cant bash anyone, but I cant get a grip on your thinking. The others maybe right that you do just sit at home pushing our buttons. You just don't make sense. Why don't you look out for your own personal wealth. Others won't look out for it.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a twist to add to the cache story lines.... The next personal attack gets a nice timeout to think about it.....

For those who have forgotten the rules or just don't want to take the time to go read the rules here are are some excerpts .................

By using this site, you agree you have read, understand, and will abide by the following terms and conditions....
FORUM GUIDELINES

Keep the discussion civil, respectful and on topic.

If you disagree with another member's post, make your comments in a polite and respectful manner.

Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone.

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

Sniping, name calling, denegration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!

TreasureNet - Rules

Treasure Hunter,
I love T-Net and agree there should be no name calling allowed and things should be done in a polite and respectful manner but this post broke the rules from the get go. He asked whether he should speak to the owner or do a 'night raid'. I was answer Frankn with a few tongue in cheek responses to show how silly his request was but I do feel enter anyones property without permission is an idiotic thing to do and 'if' Frankn does it then it would make him an idiot in my opinion. I'm not saying he is an idiot now but if he does a 'night raid' then I would say he is.

The mods on this site are awesome and I love T-Net and would not want to be banned. I do think you did over look the fact that Frankn was asking about doing an illegal activity which is trespassing. This could be viewed as using T-Net for an illegal activity or asking for instructional feedback on how to do an illegal activity which I beleive is also against TreasureNet Rules. Which now that I think about it I may have broken that rule by giving a joking response...sorry.

I love this hobby as I'm sure most on this site do. I also try to promote ethical metal detecting and it kind of pisses me off when others don't. With shows like American Diggers on the airwaves the last thing we need is a guy dressed like a ninja with a metal detector sneaking on peoples property at night.

I will step down from my soap box and apologize to Frankn if he felt any of my posts were disrespectful. I will also say a night raid is a bad idea and also illegal (okay now I'll step down off my soap box)

NJ

robertwhite

Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter,
I love T-Net and agree there should be no name calling allowed and things should be done in a polite and respectful manner but this post broke the rules from the get go. He asked whether he should speak to the owner or do a 'night raid'. I was answer Frankn with a few tongue in cheek responses to show how silly his request was but I do feel enter anyones property without permission is an idiotic thing to do and 'if' Frankn does it then it would make him an idiot in my opinion. I'm not saying he is an idiot now but if he does a 'night raid' then I would say he is.

The mods on this site are awesome and I love T-Net and would not want to be banned. I do think you did over look the fact that Frankn was asking about doing an illegal activity which is trespassing. This could be viewed as using T-Net for an illegal activity or asking for instructional feedback on how to do an illegal activity which I beleive is also against TreasureNet Rules. Which now that I think about it I may have broken that rule by giving a joking response...sorry.

I love this hobby as I'm sure most on this site do. I also try to promote ethical metal detecting and it kind of pisses me off when others don't. With shows like American Diggers on the airwaves the last thing we need is a guy dressed like a ninja with a metal detector sneaking on peoples property at night.

I will step down from my soap box and apologize to Frankn if he felt any of my posts were disrespectful. I will also say a night raid is a bad idea and also illegal (okay now I'll step down off my soap box)

NJ

NJ - I had sent a PM earlier today to one of the mods (since you can't send one to Treasure Hunter) and basically said the same thing and am awaiting a reply. I sure don't mean to come to this forum as a noob and start trouble, but I also refuse to be used as a pawn by Frankn or anyone else. I feel the fact that he is allowed to continually post these kind of things makes the whole site look bad. The only thing I disagree with you is that I for one will not apologize to Frankn as he is knowingly and willingly using this site to play his little games. If a mod chooses to ban me, then so be it, but I can assure them that my intentions are for the good of the members here and MD in general, unlike the OP.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn asks about a recovery and you guys have your panties in a bunch about what! Seriously. Geeze. That ol boy ought to be slapping his thigh.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter,

NJ

NJ,

I have no problem with people disagreeing with someone's posts, it is the personal attacks, flame wars and name calling that is against the rules. People are going to disagree, but it can still be done with some civility and respect for the members........

RobertW, I had to turn my PMs off to general members and only allow admins, mods, and contacts to PM me because of a TROLL on this site. He was banned and decided to be a TROLL in the fullest since of the word....Not just insulting me in dozens of pms but personal racist attacks on my wife as well.... How low is someone that would attack someone's wife.......

robertwhite

Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJ,

I have no problem with people disagreeing with someone's posts, it is the personal attacks, flame wars and name calling that is against the rules. People are going to disagree, but it can still be done with some civility and respect for the members........

TH - I have no issues what so ever about keeping things civil. But........... In this particular thread, I really don't see any of that stuff going on. Frankn created a thread to not only knowingly semi-troll, but had the audacity to talk about conducting illegal acts. Myself and others tried to explain just exactly what he was contemplating in a fairly respective manner. Instead of replying to the members at large, he chose to ignore such responses and semi-troll some more.

In my personal opinion, Frankn is making yourself, mods, and the site as a whole, his personal play area as he is obviously not being sincere, but instead, just stirring the pot more and more. He has done this in other threads also and for new members like myself, it just leaves a bad taste about the hobby because he is allowed to conduct himself in this way. Now I may be totally wrong, but I dealt with the public for many years and my BS meter is tuned better than most.

And again, I am not arguing the point, just trying to be honest.

RobertW, I had to turn my PMs off to general members and only allow admins, mods, and contacts to PM me because of a TROLL on this site. He was banned and decided to be a TROLL in the fullest since of the word....Not just insulting me in dozens of pms but personal racist attacks on my wife as well.... How low is someone that would attack someone's wife.......

That is just plain ridiculous behavior. I hope that you guys have found a way to cripple his trolling and keep him off the site. As for that racist crap and wife attacks, that does not sit well at all with me and we can only hope that one day he plays that song to the wrong person (myself included) and has to deal with the results.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJ,

Sorry to hear about this TreasureHunter...hes about as low as it gets...he will get what he deserves one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread