The Peralta Stone Maps, Real Maps to Lost Gold Mines or Cruel Hoax?

Do you think the Peralta stone maps are genuine, or fake?

• Total voters

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
i think they're real, granted no very acute but given the time period was quite a feet for the technology available then.I personally find the history behind it all the most intriguing, the hidden allure of the gold. It dose hav much more to offer other than just gold, a rich 300 year spanish rule frought with war with natives forced religion and all things to be expected from the rulers of spain and they're conquistadors.oro blanco, ORO Negro mina de sombrero all very real, amathyst barring gold rose quartz barring gold black apache gold and white bull quartz with vugs barring gold. here's the confusion it all doesn't come from the same hole or audit each one comes from a different location, ps apologize for the pore spelling and grammar ��

where are you from?

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT w blue coil, minelab...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
speaks for itself

IMG_2452.JPG

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Roy,

Hope all is well with you and Beth.

Not sure your post is 100% correct. No one knows what those two have found in the mountains......for sure. You should have inserted (as far as I know) in there somewhere.

Other than that small disagreement, I consider your post spot on.

Take care,

Joe

Hi, Oro

I must interject your though process, There's plenty of evidence there
It's just not there now, from large amounts of pottery, buried mines that the Forrest service wiped out in the name of safety,but the best evidence is what you don't see is what peeked my interest. Large amounts of mercury in the air, ect.

babymick1

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT w blue coil, minelab...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,wrmickel1 i agree with you're interjection, i was not aware of large amounts of mercury pollution in the area or other airborne hazards?! good to know

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you guys don't believe in 'Indian giants', you need to check out the video footage about the life of Jim Thorpe, the great Native American Olympic athlete! Thorpe was 6' 1", but his abilities made him seem 7 feet tall! Thorpe was born in 1887 (so he lived during the time this site mainly researches), and watched the world change around him in the twentieth century.

Seriously, one of the greatest athletes America has ever seen.
Check out his professional football career long after his Olympic stardom days (yes there was professional football back in those days). Mostly played in barn storming type organizations where he was paid by the game. He then played in 52 NFL games, retiring at the age of 41. He is still listed by the NFL as being in the top 10 football players of all time.
He also played a little professional baseball, which is what ended up getting him in trouble with the Olympic Committee who withdrew his Olympic medals.
He was also known for his 'boxing skills', knocking out several loud mouths at a time when under the influence of a little fire water.

Wa-tho-huck 'Bright Path' (Jim Thorpe), a giant among men!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Roy,

Hope all is well with you and Beth.

Not sure your post is 100% correct. No one knows what those two have found in the mountains......for sure. You should have inserted (as far as I know) in there somewhere.

Other than that small disagreement, I consider your post spot on.

Take care,

Joe

The post you are quoting there is from 2006, and I would stick by it except that I do not believe that Travis Tumlinson believed the stone maps were genuine Spanish treasure maps. And I would say that as far as I know, neither Bob Corbin nor Tom Kollenborn found the lost Dutchman mine. :thumbsup:

Babymick wrote
Hi, Oro

I must interject your though process, There's plenty of evidence there
It's just not there now, from large amounts of pottery, buried mines that the Forrest service wiped out in the name of safety,but the best evidence is what you don't see is what peeked my interest. Large amounts of mercury in the air, ect.

There is evidence of a large gold deposit, possibly deeply buried. There are numerous evidences of ANCIENT, pre-Columbian Indian presences in the Superstitions. I have no doubt that there are several lost mines in the range. However I stand by the statement about NO evidence of any GROUP of mines, as are hinted at in some legends as many as eighteen etc. Mining activity on this level would leave a large amount of waste rock, earth, camps, trails, not to mention the numerous mining shafts and tunnels that would be involved in 18 mines! There is no such evidence of any group of mines in the Superstitions. You are welcome to believe otherwise, and I would love to see the evidence to prove my statement wrong.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oroblanco, many people have found old arristas North of Weavers Needle, not it the area most look for the LDM, but further North. Of course Canyon Lake Hides a lot of area and so does Apache lake. I'm talking about the Peralta's not the LDM. The Peralta's tried to take out a lot of gold, twice, but were hit by the Apaches and buried the gold iin Massacre Canyon. The is the only reason for the 2 trenches of gold bags found in 1948. One 50 feet long and the other 70 feet long. I can still see the picture in my head of the guy kneeeling down with an 8 inch leather bag on his thigh with his WWII mine detector showing over his shoulder.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What wrmikel is talking about was an aerial survey done by the USGS in 1968 (I believe). I have a copy of the survey somewhere, but I know I have posted it here and at Desert USA. It basically said the amount of Mercury Vapor in the air over the Northern stretch of the Supers (read: LaBarge Canyon) was indicative of either an extensive mercury deposit or extensive mining operations.

MIke

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Gollum

I've looked for the deposit or signs of one Vegetation what grows what don't, Vegetation samples, they all have mercury in small amounts. The only thing I've found was liquid mercury in one stream bed Which leads me to believe a large mining operation, Since its only in one stream bed.

Wrmickel1

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The high concentrations of mercury vapor in the area may be natural if large exposed deposits of cinnabar are found thereabouts. Erosion of these deposits would release the mercury into the surrounding environment if that is the case. While this doesn't preclude the possibility of a major mining operation having once been present in the larger area, it doesn't automatically point to that. Since the mercury would have been necessary for the amalgamation of crushed ore....gold,silver and a number of other metals...the results of the tests in the report could be interpreted to mean that a large refining operation was present in or around LaBarge canyon....ie: arrastras, amalgamation patios and smelting furnaces. Also possible IMO, is that it may have been a former cinnabar mining and crushing venture that was responsible for the mercury vapor readings.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
The high concentrations of mercury vapor in the area may be natural if large exposed deposits of cinnabar are found thereabouts. Erosion of these deposits would release the mercury into the surrounding environment if that is the case. While this doesn't preclude the possibility of a major mining operation having once been present in the larger area, it doesn't automatically point to that. Since the mercury would have been necessary for the amalgamation of crushed ore....gold,silver and a number of other metals...the results of the tests in the report could be interpreted to mean that a large refining operation was present in or around LaBarge canyon....ie: arrastras, amalgamation patios and smelting furnaces. Also possible IMO, is that it may have been a former cinnabar mining and crushing venture that was responsible for the mercury vapor readings.

wayne....there are alot of mercury mines along peralta road on both side...most if not all have been covered up by the blm....there were also some mercury mines in tortilla canyon

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Azdave

In which state was these mines, I'm finding liquid.

It takes a lot of heat to do that, Unless they were processed there.

wrmickel1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Azdave

In which state was these mines, I'm finding liquid.

It takes a lot of heat to do that, Unless they were processed there.

wrmickel1

mickel...on the mines on peralta road i'm not sure how rich the mercury ore was..i never saw the ore..the blm took all the tailings and pushed them in the shaft and buried them..jim hatt got into some mercury mines in tortilla canyon...i think it had raw mercury in it...thats probably what did jim in

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
What, did him in! Oh oh, Next!

I think these damm Camels will do me,

Cause I'll walk a mile with one hanging in my mug!

Wrmickel1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave

The deep seeker detection unit I use has a built in air detection monitor, don't want to get in a tunnel with bad gas.

Wrmickel1

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mickel...on the mines on peralta road i'm not sure how rich the mercury ore was..i never saw the ore..the blm took all the tailings and pushed them in the shaft and buried them..jim hatt got into some mercury mines in tortilla canyon...i think it had raw mercury in it...thats probably what did jim in

Hi Dave - any exposure to mercury isn't a good thing, but I suspect a bigger problem for Jim was his time spent in the nuclear energy environmental monitoring field added to the years of cigarette smoking :(.

Are you by any chance going to be at the Rendezvous this year? I plan to be there and would like to meet you.

Paul

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hi Dave - any exposure to mercury isn't a good thing, but I suspect a bigger problem for Jim was his time spent in the nuclear energy environmental monitoring field added to the years of cigarette smoking :(.

Are you by any chance going to be at the Rendezvous this year? I plan to be there and would like to meet you.

Paul

paul..i have both lead and mercury poisoning and neither is a good thing...lol... i'm sure that nuclear plant didnt help jim's health either....i plan on being at the rendezvous this year and would like to meet you also

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

azdave35,

Jim's Mercury mine in the Tortilla area only had some traces of mercury in the form of cinnabar but it could have been a fairly rich pocket that was mined out by someone(s). The mine only went back a few yards.

I picked up some astoundingly rich cinnabar in more than one place on the west side of Tortilla Mountain and down into Peters. A picture of one of my samples is below.

When I worked the underground Metcalf mine at Clifton the blasting crew would sometime open a native Mercury deposit along with the cinnabar. The thick dark native mercury would come slowly oozing out of the rock. The blast would atomize the mercury and the mucking crews would breath it in the air and have the dust settle on their clothes. It was quite a sight to behold.

Matthew

Cinnabar (Mercury) Tortilla-Peters.JPG

Very rich Cinnabar (mercury) from the northern Superstition Mountains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions