THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was that your place on Howe Island Jim, I only ever saw pics of the inside? :icon_scratch:

Yes it was. It was hard to believe we actually rebuilt a 50's cottage into a home. It has been a real grind doing this home over after pouring my guts out doing that one. But slowly the 2020 timeline is growing near and I'll have time to putter-oh so near.
24596DA8-DF25-430D-A223-46049D43102F_1_201_a.jpeg
I did a 46 day stint on the island doing the landscaping. All the stone was from excavating of foundation of garage and footings under the cottage. It's hard to get that motivated again.....:laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

Funny how things change.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: I remember after a night of to much partying in Barbados we all had the great idea of doing a Barbados grand prix race through the compound at 2 in the morning.

Tearing up and down the streets in sun mokes pretty much a dune buggy. Some of our older neighbors didn't appreciate the racket and called the cops....problem was the cops at the local shop only had bicycles...lol.

It looked like a scene for the keystone cops.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning AARC..... pepperj.....bill and Dave. Kinda running late this morning. Pea picking time again. Thank goodness I didn’t plant more. Another 108 heat index day. Can’t complain though, I’m still above ground.:laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

We got the rain overnight and raining again as we speak....we finally get the day off from berry picking.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

My wife has been keeping tabs on the total weight of the various berries, by far the most are the red currants at 29.5 lbs, throw in the black currants and black raspberries and odds are all told we'll end up at 50 lbs or so.

That makes for a lot of preserves, we give away some excess to family and friends and my wife sells some of the surplus to cover off on supplies and make a bit of pocket change.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back then? You didn't have a house invested in that would be gone because of some fun campfires in a fire ban area. ;)

Back then my response wasn't very nice either-I was the other type of guy that one regretted having living on the block.

Party-party

First house we rented with the two room mates. Lets have a move in party was the general agreement!

They approached me one fine foggy minded morning " Jim we have to go back to work now"

"Why I asked"

Well we've had this party going for 2 solid weeks now-and we're burnt out....

"Really-2 weeks" But, but......Wow-reality sets in....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

We got the rain overnight and raining again as we speak....we finally get the day off from berry picking.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

My wife has been keeping tabs on the total weight of the various berries, by far the most are the red currants at 29.5 lbs, throw in the black currants and black raspberries and odds are all told we'll end up at 50 lbs or so.

That makes for a lot of preserves, we give away some excess to family and friends and my wife sells some of the surplus to cover off on supplies and make a bit of pocket change.

Nicely done Bill, in the winter months it's all great to have a taste of the summer's bounty.
We're going organic blueberry picking in Avonmore this coming week.
Because of COVID the owners are opening the farm up to a few special customers a few days early. We're on the list of preferred it seems.
So another couple are meeting up with us at the farm for a days picking.
They picked and froze the Haskaps for us this year, I purchased the whole crop of what they want to sell.
So that will a 60lb lot that we will split with our friends.
The blueberries are ripening up great the owner said, so it will be better than last year. Got 70+lbs off a 2/3 of a row last year.
It's like picking concord grapes-plus the pound that I ate during the pick. :laughing7:
So we're just on our last few bags now so I'm thinking if I make up any jams I'll have to get 80lbs this year or more-we've been on ration mode with the fruits it seems.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

So true Bill-it sucks to be responsible.:laughing7:

I see burnt donuts in the middle of a 4 way intersection. I think those......

Then I think of when I did a little burn out with the /99 Lightning.

Wife would look over and say "That was just $50 you burnt off"

Nailed it! :headbang:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mornin' Cap'n! :icon_salut:

By the by, Cap? Did you limit my boarding pass yesterday? :icon_scratch:

I believe your shore leave pass stipulated that you only go to the nearest Temperance Hall.

He's being very strict it seems-what have you been up to to be so grounded?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning WIF. YEAH,now that I'm retired I don't know what day it is half the time.:laughing7: And don't care.:laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 in goin solo is still safety as usual...

Lead sheathing orientation? Has it drifted?
If a low contour from a recent (or even prior) scour is near ,it might warrant a sniff.
Mapping found debris looking for a pattern or route away from ballast (where's that? Don't answer if you know..) might as well happen. If sheathing helps find a trend....Why not?
But , I know about as much about things tumbling/flowing/being drop kicked about in the ocean as I due about space satellite construction. Which ain't much!
You are right on point RC....there is a flat coral head.....it is broken and a large crack runs for 40 feet....on either side of this crack is crumpled lead bottom sheathing !! We are sniffing around right now !! We have 2 lines so it's not as straight forward at this point as we would like. These wrecks are from 1563....400 plus years old. Not much is left after that many years so finding anything is a miracle. There should be a heavy pile somewhere.....I've started to narrow down a corridor of isolated finds (oral traditions) that I truly think point to suvivors coming ashore. Some finds have dated to our time frame and a recent discovery almost certainly came from our group of survivors. A large papel medallion, a gold ship spike(smuggling technique), a pomander, a flint lock pistol and the brass basket cage of a raiper. I'm starting to form a drift pattern for survivors.....as much as I enjoy galleon hunting for the big dogs...I'm all about me finding treasure how I always do.....finding those small spots where the survivors all hunkered down. Think about it...if your boat is going down wouldn't you put one or 2 of the most portable and valuable pieces of treasure in your pocket....just in case you did survive ?? The pieces that someone would try to save would be the ones with the highest value !! There are pieces on the beaches down here that could absolutely change a person's life ( pay my mortgage off) so I love hunting on my own but with an eye for any evidence that points to our wreck time frame. I am confident that if I just put in my time and hunt hard....I'll succeed at finding a high dollar spanish or dutch treasure like some of those who came before me....its out there....I for one know that...100%.

ARC.....you are so right to be excited about the archives in havana....we have had access for some years now and that info could not be found anywhere else.....many times the official records in spain differ from those in cuba....the colonial officials in havana hid many truths from the king and nobility back home in spain. The salvage accounts of all the major fleet disasters are much more in depth 1622, 1715,1733 etc. This is the future of treasure...cuban archives in Havana will lead to many great discoveries.....already our access has closed back up....but we do have friends in high places down there !!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've managed to motivate myself with my own pep talk !! That's it I'm taking a 2 hour drive south it's time to get back on the spanish trail !! Wooo hooo I'm outta here !!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what's on the menu for tonight. I can't find an English version of the recipe that's comparible. we also add a good sized piece of salt pork for added flavour and our veggie mix is a bit different but you get the idea.

It's a standard French summer dish in Quebec.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon crew mates.
There's been talk of wild parties, & mud strewn decks!
WHADIFIND getting bumped off ship.
WD making pot roast like a wizard.
Rook getting baked...hot, hot, hot!
Bart hunting treasure while swimming in clear as "gin" water...cause here's no rum left??
There are said to be multiple new freezers aboard ship...holding berries?? many, many berries!!

And the Captain pulling magic out of some southern port or something??

... ANTIQUARIAN is coming back to all this?
Even RR's wheeling and dealing can't fix all this!I
....where's a broom and a mop? ...and a backhoe!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other crew members have wisely chosen shore leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread