THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last week I drove past one of my permissions that recently had the bean stalks disked, so I called the farmer to ask if it would be ok if I detect it this Sunday past (which I always do as a courtesy). Well, when he called me back he told me that, “he recently had a report from a neighbor of some 10 – 15 Asian gentlemen from the city were flying kites and trespassing on one of his other fields”, which I’ve detected for a number of years. He proceeded to tell me, “a friend had told him, that if one of those people had gotten hurt while trespassing, that they may very well have been able to sue him for damages.” He then told me that, “he didn’t have insurance to protect himself if that ever happened, so he’s now decided that I cannot detect his properties anymore.” Needless to say, I was extremely upset all of last weekend, mainly because I’d just lost my permission to 10 – 12 sites that I’ve detected for years. All because of a few inconsiderate assholes from the city who have no respect for private property!

If anything, this experience will now inspire me to get some new permissions in my area. So last night I called the owner of another farm property which I last detected in June and he told me that I was welcome to come by on Sunday morning.

On a lighter note, I absolutely love this song by Larry Fleet…

Sorry to hear that.
It happened to me (remember-oct/19 lost that permission-I didn't ask for visitor permission but it was because of silo bin opened and he lost product.) He owned the biggest insurance company in the city-so that lost is still vibrating in the farmer''s world. So that was 250 acres-8+ homestead sites that I had located.
It hurts-been working the back channels through others to get it back-but from an insurance point of view just get a cheap liability rider on your home insurance policy.
I looked into it a few years ago and it was peanuts to get it for maintenance folks that were doing some work.
I'm thinking of getting a policy for myself for the harder to obtain permissions that are afraid of being sued.
(Most of my permissions own backhoes-so they can just bury the issue.:laughing7:)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear that.
It happened to me (remember-oct/19 lost that permission-I didn't ask for visitor permission but it was because of silo bin opened and he lost product.) He owned the biggest insurance company in the city-so that lost is still vibrating in the farmer''s world. So that was 250 acres-8+ homestead sites that I had located.
It hurts-been working the back channels through others to get it back-but from an insurance point of view just get a cheap liability rider on your home insurance policy.
I looked into it a few years ago and it was peanuts to get it for maintenance folks that were doing some work.
I'm thinking of getting a policy for myself for the harder to obtain permissions that are afraid of being sued.
(Most of my permissions own backhoes-so they can just bury the issue.:laughing7:)
I remember that farmer Jim, he pulled onto a site that you and I were detecting one day and asked us to leave. :thumbsup:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning guys...thanks pepper...im gonna try hard. I've got a little voice in my head saying go back to Corrigan beach....south of the 1715 winter salvage camp....I found a lead liner to a treasure chest....plus the potsherds. I need a storm to hit right now !!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week I drove past one of my permissions that recently had the bean stalks disked, so I called the farmer to ask if it would be ok if I detect it this Sunday past (which I always do as a courtesy). Well, when he called me back he told me that, “he recently had a report from a neighbor of some 10 – 15 Asian gentlemen from the city were flying kites and trespassing on one of his other fields”, which I’ve detected for a number of years. He proceeded to tell me, “a friend had told him, that if one of those people had gotten hurt while trespassing, that they may very well have been able to sue him for damages.” He then told me that, “he didn’t have insurance to protect himself if that ever happened, so he’s now decided that I cannot detect his properties anymore.” Needless to say, I was extremely upset all of last weekend, mainly because I’d just lost my permission to 10 – 12 sites that I’ve detected for years. All because of a few inconsiderate assholes from the city who have no respect for private property!

If anything, this experience will now inspire me to get some new permissions in my area. So last night I called the owner of another farm property which I last detected in June and he told me that I was welcome to come by on Sunday morning.

Ooh I love it!

Sorry about your lost permission. Maybe new will be a good thing.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain here for the last week and the next 5 days to come.But the sun is up there,somewhere.:BangHead::tongue3:
Good luck Bart...its still 2021 :tchest:

2011_1012Mttohuntdeer4th0001.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooh I love it!

Ooh I love it!

Draw up a legal document releasing him of all liability if something happens then visit him or call him and see if he would reconsider with signed legal document releasing him of liability.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Mornin all.

Antiqu-e:
You're in another country. (Let alone another state removed from mine...)

Landowner liability has long been a concern with game/critters hunting permissions here.
Obviously if a landowner deliberately causes a harmful condition there is a liability. Building a tank trap to stop a vehicle for example.

Recreational law helps relieve some concerns. I've no idea what the area your former site's jurisdiction involves.
Might be worth a look to see if anything similar exists as exists here.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just picked up 1000 shares of The very good food company. It's listed on Vancouver stock exchange in Canada also the OTC in the U.S. and they're awaiting Nasdaq approval for listing. They are a vegan meat substitute producer. It was started by a couple of chefs who weren't impressed with all the chemicals and preservatives added to the current offerings so they came up with their own version of burgers, sausages, etc...they currently sell direct to Canada and the U.S. and through Amazon, etc....might be worth checking it out if you think it's a good opportunity or not.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions