Then And Now

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector on the left in the 1985 ad looks like my first "real" detector, a garrett ads master hunter 4 from 1983, sometimes called a garrett groundhog, although i have seen a few models called groundhog. It was a great detector but I moved up to the garrett master hunter 7, a detector I loved but now seems so heavy compared to the new machines.

My brother had the groundhog...a toy compared to my ADS. "The good ole days when silver was aplenty"

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The detector on the left in the 1985 ad looks like my first "real" detector, a garrett ads master hunter 4 from 1983, sometimes called a garrett groundhog, although i have seen a few models called groundhog. It was a great detector but I moved up to the Garrett Master Hunter 7, a detector I loved but now seems so heavy compared to the new machines.
My father in law used a Master Hunter way back when and it WAS a bit heavy compared to the new detectors. A lot of detectors back then were heavy.

My brother had the groundhog...a toy compared to my ADS. "The good ole days when silver was aplenty"
My first detector in 1983 was the Garrett AM 2 which I've posted. It basically was a TOY and didn't have much depth. Was a non-motion unit. My next detector was the White's 6000di.... Image (45).jpg Image (46).jpg Image (44).jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1707815 These are a pair of Garrett Metal Detector ads, the one on the left is from 1985 and the other is from 2017. The guy in the left photo looks as if he's on his lunch hour from the office, wearing a dressy type shirt and pants plus highly shined shoes.

Looks like me eight years ago on my lunch break when I worked next to a town park. Detected on my lunch hour in my "office" clothes.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I'm to busy checking out my own selfies TP

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
You notice that the guy on the right is on top of a mountain? I wonder what the heck he is looking for.

I think he is simply following that mysterious spaceship in front of him!

Attachments

• temp 0.jpg
    temp 0.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 41

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesnt look like Oak island!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, you've never heard of something being tacti-cool?

Never underestimate the consumer who loves turning money into noise while pretending to be G.I. Joe.
Guy on the left = no pin pointer or probe. Guy on the right = Even with all the stuff in his pack he still forgot his pin pointer..................

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guy on the left = no pin pointer or probe. Guy on the right = Even with all the stuff in his pack he still forgot his pin pointer..................
Guy on the left has no pinpointer because I don't think pinpointers hit the market yet.....in 1985. No pouch though. Guy on right forgot his pinpointer but I'l bet he didn't forget his designer label sports drink and a granola bar.

That's the coil of the guide the dude is following, Gary Drayton I'll wager. :tongue3:
If that's Drayton in front of him, they must be on an expedition to locate some "Bobby Dazzlers"

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the coil of the guide the dude is following, Gary Drayton I'll wager. :tongue3:

Are you sure? ... It appears to be floating on its own accord .. no strings attached!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Blame Ken Griffey, Jr.

Another reason not to wear your baseball cap backwards: that's not how operators do it. Well...except maybe this guy, aka: Cowboy.
I had a what I thought to be a brilliant idea some years ago. A 360 degrees backwards cap. No matter how you wore it, it was wrong and backwards. The cap would simply Not have bill. This way Thugs, and those pretending to be men wouldn't have to take the extra time to turn the hat around backwards. There would be no pesty bill to be in the way, and no matter how you wear it it's backwards. It would be a Lose Lose situation made specifically for Losers.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy on the left has no pinpointer because I don't think pinpointers hit the market yet.....in 1985. No pouch though. Guy on right forgot his pinpointer but I'l bet he didn't forget his designer label sports drink and a granola bar.

If that's Drayton in front of him, they must be on an expedition to locate some "Bobby Dazzlers"
No they hadn't. closest thing we had was a multipurpose tool. a small long screwdriver aka probe coin flipper. Pouch!?!? That's what pockets were for! Trash on the left, keepers on the right. Pouches came in about the time plaid pants went out of style. In my area even back then you'd never wear plaid detecting because it was a sure fire way to get mugged by an 8 yr old. :laughing7: Oh now that I think about it....... If you talked & acted like Drayton the Morning paper headline would read "Strange Feller found in the desert clutching a mine detector." "Appears to have been searching for earrings."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread