This is why we are being shut out from FS and Blm, and state areas.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in western Montana we have dumpster site open 24 7 free of charge for household garbage to deter illegal dumping. Seems to work pretty well.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Some years ago a septic company wanted to save money by not taking the tank truck to a treatment facility. They found a karst depression and dumped their load there. A karst depression is what happens when a cave ceiling collapses.
The sewage entered the cave and traveled some 20 miles and contaminated the water at a laundromat. After the contamination authorities were able to backtrack and found the source.
I can only imagine what else people have dumped in a convenient hole in the ground.

About that time people I knew from being involved in caving were in a cave in S. Mo . The water level was about 3 feet. After they came up they had a rash on skin that was in the water. Worrisome.

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I burn 90% of all my garbage in my backyard. Make a choice, pollute the sky or pollute the earth. There is no getting away from it. We humans cause pollution. Where I live, we r charged 5 - $50 for a load to dump it at the dump. Thus far I have never dumped my garbage on the roadside or other. But when they started charging us to dump it at an approved waste site, I sure was tempted to.

This is is no different than the junkie, free needle drop-offs. To keep the needles from being discarded carelessly they introduced the free injection sites as well as needle drop-off bins.
I want to dump my junk for free, maybe I should follow our stubborn examples and throw my garbage out in the dark.
It is the example that works, is it not?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey they believe in Flying the Flag :laughing7:
I wonder if they saluted it 8-)

Anyway I see that allot around here too.

I can burn my trash here, 2 mile away they can't :(
so things like this are their alternative

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I burn 90% of all my garbage in my backyard. Make a choice, pollute the sky or pollute the earth. There is no getting away from it. We humans cause pollution. Where I live, we r charged 5 - $50 for a load to dump it at the dump. Thus far I have never dumped my garbage on the roadside or other. But when they started charging us to dump it at an approved waste site, I sure was tempted to.

This is is no different than the junkie, free needle drop-offs. To keep the needles from being discarded carelessly they introduced the free injection sites as well as needle drop-off bins.
I want to dump my junk for free, maybe I should follow our stubborn examples and throw my garbage out in the dark.

Hi cokat7
Toxic Elements in the Air,
Scattered rubbish everywhere,
Junk floating on polluted water,
No future for son or daughter .

Me poet too tinpan

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I burn to do my part to help create global Warming

Unfortunately it doesn't help :( going Sub 0 here anyway :(

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I burn to do my part to help create global Warming

Unfortunately it doesn't help :( going Sub 0 here anyway :(

Hi Jeff . You can delete very piece of rubbish on TN but cannot delete your own rubbish. By the way down under we pay a Carbon tax yet we produce less than 1 % of all carbon gases. Must part of the gobal free trade agreements LOL

tinpan

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I once thought of writing a book. I was going to title it "There's No Such Thing As Garbage."
The book came about from knowing a civil engineer that monitors gas from landfills. I started analyzing my garbage and what I did with it.
So I set up a compost bin. Added small bits of meat leftovers to my dogs normal food. Took recycles to these bins the city next door provides. They take what most recycle centers take along with glass.
What goes in the garbage is about i/2 a bag once a week. It's usually stuff that could be recycled but is contaminated with usually food. I live in a place where water is in short supply and I have to consider if washing stuff makes more sense than tossing it.

I'm not bragging about anything. Like I said it was an experiment. Call it research for a book. I did learn that landfills are expensive and some day there will be people mining them for what we call garbage.
A whole lot of stuff we throw away never has to be.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not something someone prospecting or detecting would do, I go out of my way to make sure the land is left like I found it. I don't even want another prospector or someone detecting to know where I'm finding my stuff.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The global warming theory has been shot down. The guy that came up with it even destroyed his notes so I have seen written. Greenhouse gas is a fallacy. The ozone layer hole is a natural happening that in-larges and contracts on it's own. The carbon tax is just that, another way for gov. to collect more money. The economy has been beat down by the greens with there false actuzations. They are killing treasure hunting in many forms. In CA they have killed suction dredging as a recreational pastime. In our forests, they are having roads closed so they can have their pristine hiking trails all to themselves. A lot of the large recent forest fires are due to the lack of brush cleanup that use to be dun until they objected. They wanted it all 'natural'. They killed in some areas on the bases of an owl that exists from Mexico to Canada the logging industry. Maybe they are the true aliens! lol
Frank... 111-1 profileRED.jpg

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I smell a thread hijacking underway lol
Speaking of garbage and landfills, I used to live in Rochester Hills, here in michigan, down the road from me was a no longer used garbage hill, well like everything else in life, methane gas migrates and takes the path of the least resistance, which happened to be downhill to the east of the hill and into a homes basement, which then promptly exploded..sucks but its true, thankfully the occupants were not at home at the time.
After that they installed vents to release the gas from all the rotting crap into the atmosphere...seems like a waste to me pun intended, since you could use that gas to generate power.

Mike

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
As greedy S.O.B.s charge more and more to haul away our trash more folks are going to take the path of least resistance and just throw their crap where ever they can. I am old enough to remember the old town dump. Open on the weekends and if you were a town resident you could just come and throw away most anything. Lots of folks would bring their junk and poke around a bit and end up taking a few things back home! (one man's junk....etc, etc)

In fact the town dump is where a lot of us kids learned how to shoot. Our dads would bring us down after dark. The car lights were turned off for a few minutes and then all turned on at once and we would open up on all the rats with our guns. Was great fun and rodent control all rolled into one.

And in the Adirondack mts all the campers would go for ice cream and hit the town dump after dark to see all the bears come in to feed. (were NOT allowed to shoot those though!)

Now alas...the town dump is no more.

Just a line of dumpsters with an attendant charging you 3 bucks for every bag of garbage you toss in.

I miss the old days.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we all stopped breathing that would go a long way to decreasing green house gas emissions as well....not to mention regulating cow farts.
Seriously......dumping garbage on road sides, private property, public lands.....etc. is wrong. Dump it properly, burn it properly.....what ever. I have seen access to areas restricted due to improper dumping of trash.......TR

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few pet peeves about trash.
At the beach on a hot day there are people who will have a party and leave garbage everywhere when they leave.
I always thought these pigs needed to have a big littering fine. Problem is those pigs did not get cited by the other pigs!
We say we cant afford more cops, yet if we wrote a few good littering tickets a day (in CA, I think it can be $1000 fine), we could easily pay for the cop on the beat just to write these kinds of tickets.
Problem with littering is that if your kids see you doing it, they will follow suit. Not good.
I also believe we have alot of "help" just sitting in prisons with low offense, non-violent crimes.
We could give these guys a choice. Either sit in jail all day or be used on a chain gang to pick up trash, fill pot-holes, fix trails, cut bushes, etc. There is alot of labor going to waste that we have to feed and house that could be used.
These folks would still probably choose to be outside vs. sitting in a jail cell all day. If it was a "by choice" program, then all the Lib groups could not claim it was unfair and we would actually get some good results out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread