This morning in Salerno battlefield......

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Salerno battlefield.

In this place fought german soldiers against Rangers and 82^ Airborne

DOKATOR DEUTSCHE BW ERZEUGNIS

dvc07779.jpg

Some idea about age of this part of knife?

dvc07780.jpg

Brass box FIRST AID

dvc07781.jpg

Unknown object. Some idea???

dvc07782.jpg

dvc07783.jpg

dvc07784.jpg

Appear so :woot: :woot: :woot:

1709100948.jpg

Who find

1709100949.jpg

Some news about this soldier???

dvc07785.jpg

Upvote 1

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wonder if that First aid kit was used on him right where those tags were found? I hope you get to go back and look at that spot for some more personal items. Very sad outcome, but to find those tags to me is a find of a lifetime. I been thinking about this post all day. Told everyone I knew about it. 67 years ago almost to the date. Speechless.

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! It brings tears to my eyes knowing this man fought for my country and gave the ultimate sacrifice. I salute you PFC Vegso :icon_salut:!!! Thank you sir for your service and sacrifice. I will proudly vote BANNER!!!!!!!!!!
Sincerely, peanut
P.S. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THOSE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVE THIS GREAT COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Matteo

A truly great, and solemn, find. As a parent of a soldier presently in US Army Special Forces, I would be more than grateful to have this returned to my family, in similar circumstances. I hope that can happen for his family. Such a sadness that so many brave soldiers, of all countries, die so far from home.

The best to you, my friend, for sharing this.

I consider myself a pretty tough guy mentally, but this has really sombred me out. Wow....and sigh.

John From Ohio

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a family member to have some piece of mind after all that time is worth more than any reward...It's up to people like yourself to give him peace...Congrats on a BANNER find. :notworthy:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a terrific find. I doubt he has any family left alive unless of course he had children but I didn't see an indication of that. Either way, it is a truly awe inspiring find to

think that it was laid to rest there when Vegso was given to God. Tremendous feeling to think about it! Congratulations on a wonderful piece of history. If you don't return

it to his descendants, it might serve just as well to keep it where his body is laid to rest, in Italy; as a special piece in your collection and show everyone it when they visit and

look at your collection and tell them about him, and his honorable sacrifice for his country and yours! That would be a wonderful way of keeping a part of him alive and

honoring his memory at the same time :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are looking for contsact his relatives. We find another photo of this soldier and perhaps a photo of hi home. As soon as possible I'll post.

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matteo La Boccia said:
We are looking for contsact his relatives. We find another photo of this soldier and perhaps a photo of hi home. As soon as possible I'll post.

Matteo La Boccia,

I sent you a PM the other day with contact info of a relitive that I located and spoke with.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Did anyone else notice the dogtag was found 2 days after the 67th anniversary of his death an he was killed 9days after his 28th Birthday?

Thats why I said this should be a banner post.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
zaxfire69 said:
creeper71 said:
Did anyone else notice the dogtag was found 2 days after the 67th anniversary of his death an he was killed 9days after his 28th Birthday?

Thats why I said this should be a banner post.
sorry I must have over looked your post..when I was on here in the wee hours in the morning..You did mention it..sorry again

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just think that it is amazing that he found them..Expecially the time frame that they were found. It really made me sit down and think about how this fellow gave his life for ours.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
wow!!!! i really want to ww2 relic hunt!!! ww2 is a big part of my life. It is so interesting and love to learn 'bout it ;D Great hunt btw!!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has moved me like very few ever have. Thank God for all the men and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for the benefit of the rest of us. Matteo, you are doing a very honorable thing in trying to return the dogtag to the descendents of Pfc Vegso. I really hope you are successful. Returning the dogtag to the family would give infinitely more joy than any banner ever could. Good luck.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
A very awsome story and find ,,,,,,great bunch of research,,,truly one of the most moving storys of recovery on this site!!!!

thanks to all involved,,,BANNER VOTE FROM ME!!!! :headbang:

arthur

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very moving post, especially since Private Vegso was a "local guy" for us here in Southwestern PA. Charleroi, PA is a small mill town on the Monongahela river about 25 miles south of Pittsburgh. It probably hit that small town pretty hard when he was killed. I have forwarded a link to this thread to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. I think this would be good story, first and foremost to honor his memory, and secondly to put our hobby in a good light.

KoryLGriffin

Jul 20, 2010
Now those are great finds. That's what I'm looking for. I wish I had somewhere local to look for neat things like you posted. Thanks for the shares...

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matteo La Boccia,

In a PM from you to me you mentioned the Dog Tag possibly going to your local Museum. I am just wondering now if that is what the plan is and or if the relative I sent you contact info for has been contacted? Just wondering what is going on with the dog tag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread