This morning in Salerno battlefield......

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Salerno battlefield.

In this place fought german soldiers against Rangers and 82^ Airborne

DOKATOR DEUTSCHE BW ERZEUGNIS

dvc07779.jpg

Some idea about age of this part of knife?

dvc07780.jpg

Brass box FIRST AID

dvc07781.jpg

Unknown object. Some idea???

dvc07782.jpg

dvc07783.jpg

dvc07784.jpg

Appear so :woot: :woot: :woot:

1709100948.jpg

Who find

1709100949.jpg

Some news about this soldier???

dvc07785.jpg

Upvote 1

midwest_mick

Apr 26, 2010
indiana
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
historical moment !!! great find what an opportunity to be involved in history of a soldier, im sure it means alot to the family great find and kudo's on your morals for what youve begun to do for him! from a disabled vet myself.....

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
returning dog tags are very important and help families in a positive way. banner if returned :notworthy:

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009
:hello2: :icon_thumleft: Congradulations to all who have helped in the researching of this American Hero - PFC John J. Vegso !!!!!!

Let's get his dogtags home to his family. Matteo, great job !!!

Usil

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2011
The knife handle is WWII. I have seen similar bakelite handles on German knives. Not sure who this knife was made for though.

Usil

tndigger2011

Aug 21, 2011
Kingsport,TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher(F75--LTD) Garret AT Pro
I am a serving soldier as well as an officer who has been in combat and lost freinds to combat related deaths. I would be willing to send the appropriate amount of money to return that dog tag to the family of the soldier killed in action.
If you are willing to due this please IM so we can make arrangements. Tim

Bulldog1948

Jan 2, 2011
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
GC 1036- Gold Digger
I wanted to add some very important information concerning the elderly WW2 vets. The VA now has a special program that says " No Vet will die alone" This was on CBS News this past week. This program deals especially with WW2 vets [ rate of death now 1500 dailey].
You can contact the Va for their nearest hospital to become a hospice volunteer. When their time is near, they place a beautiful flower on their door so that everyone will know the situation and honor them. There are many of these old fellows laying there waiting to pass into eternity. Please think about becoming a volunteer and hold their hand and comfort them. They fought and shed their blood for us. Now, it's our turn as the childern of the Greatest Generation and also grandkids, to hold their time-worn and feeble hands.
God Bless America and all of our Vets during this Christmas Season
Mike :coffee2:

IrishRooney13

Nov 25, 2011
New Paltz, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that this is an old thread. But I just saw it for the first time and to be honest am a bit disturbed by it. Indications in this thread are that this person never returned the dogtag to the next of kin? Is this so? That is extremely upsetting.

sultan of silver

Nov 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one story that I hope has a good ending. May hats off to all that have served this great country.

plumber354

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Matteo. I am from North Charleroi, Pennsylvania, USA. It is a long story, but I stumbled upon your post. I am truly shocked, and amazed. I was a very close friend of Josephine Weber. (Vegso) Over the years, I had listened to stories about her growing up, and the loss of her brother Johnny. She passed away in 2001. She left her family home to myself, my mother, and another close friend. (the 460 Conrad Avenue home listed on John Vegsos memorial card) Going through her belongings, I never found anything but one picture of her brother. I was truly shocked when someone on facebook posted the memorial card, which led me to find this post. Josephine was a good woman, who had a rough life. She lost her brother during the war, her first husband died of a heart attack, and her second husband also passed away. She had no children, which led her to call me her adopted grandson. From our talks, she had told me that the Marion Vegso listed on the dog tags was Johns wife. He had gotten married, like so many others, right before he left to go overseas. John and Marion were also childless. Josephine had felt the woman married John to be on the insurance policy, which Josephine had told me was $10,000, a great deal of money in 1943. Josephine never mentioned any Vegso relatives, so I doubt if anyone can claim to be one. When I was growing up in the 1980's, no one besides myself even knew who John Vegso was. I am curious as to what had become of the dogtags. They would have truly been a great comfort to Josephine, as she had nothing from her brother. He left, and she never saw him again. None of his personal items came back home after he was killed. Some neighbors had provided her with a picture of his gravesite when the visited Italy. She had never seen it prior to this. She still cried when talking about John. I am still amazed that they were found. I would welcome an opportunity to communicate with you. My email is [email protected] My address is 1516 Leeds Avenue, Monessen, PA 15062 Oh, and my name is Darryl M. Ray Thank you. Hope to hear from you.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Matteo. I am from North Charleroi, Pennsylvania, USA. It is a long story, but I stumbled upon your post. I am truly shocked, and amazed. I was a very close friend of Josephine Weber. (Vegso) Over the years, I had listened to stories about her growing up, and the loss of her brother Johnny. She passed away in 2001. She left her family home to myself, my mother, and another close friend. (the 460 Conrad Avenue home listed on John Vegsos memorial card) Going through her belongings, I never found anything but one picture of her brother. I was truly shocked when someone on facebook posted the memorial card, which led me to find this post. Josephine was a good woman, who had a rough life. She lost her brother during the war, her first husband died of a heart attack, and her second husband also passed away. She had no children, which led her to call me her adopted grandson. From our talks, she had told me that the Marion Vegso listed on the dog tags was Johns wife. He had gotten married, like so many others, right before he left to go overseas. John and Marion were also childless. Josephine had felt the woman married John to be on the insurance policy, which Josephine had told me was $10,000, a great deal of money in 1943. Josephine never mentioned any Vegso relatives, so I doubt if anyone can claim to be one. When I was growing up in the 1980's, no one besides myself even knew who John Vegso was. I am curious as to what had become of the dogtags. They would have truly been a great comfort to Josephine, as she had nothing from her brother. He left, and she never saw him again. None of his personal items came back home after he was killed. Some neighbors had provided her with a picture of his gravesite when the visited Italy. She had never seen it prior to this. She still cried when talking about John. I am still amazed that they were found. I would welcome an opportunity to communicate with you. My email is [email protected] My address is 1516 Leeds Avenue, Monessen, PA 15062 Oh, and my name is Darryl M. Ray Thank you. Hope to hear from you.

Welcome And Hello,

Darryl Ray

I replied to Matteo's thread a few times during Sept 17 2010 :icon_scratch:hard to believe it's been that long ago . That is incredible that you are the closest living connection to our fallen hero Pfc. Johnny Vegsos .

He and his team still search Italy for personal affects of WW 2 airmen and soldiers , simply amazing , you have found this thread .
I am not sure if Matteo donated the dog tags to the Museum in Salerno .

Best To You

Last edited:

plumber354

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome And Hello,

Darryl Ray

I replied to Matteo's thread a few times during Sept 17 2010 :icon_scratch:hard to believe it's been that long ago . That is incredible that you are the closest living connection to our fallen hero Pfc. Johnny Vegsos .

He and his team still search Italy for personal affects of WW 2 airmen and soldiers , simply amazing , you have found this thread .
I am not sure if Matteo donated the dog tags to the Museum in Salerno .

Best To You

Thanks Dawg. I thought I did send Matteo a message, but it ended up on here. Im new here. How do I send a message to Matteo directly?

Darryl

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Darryl

Sent you a pm . Log in and Scroll up to top of page and click on your private messages .

Matteo will be shocked to read your post . Anyone else reading plumber354

farmerjay

Aug 31, 2013
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pinpointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, nice finds. Thanks for putting up the picture of the dog tag.
Thanks and God Bless!! :icon_thumright:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us work hard and follow up when our members in other countries find something like this. The few post above show how important it is. Many times they are posting and using an english translator program and much gets lost. This is amazing that it has even come up again. Good thing T-Net rides at the top of Google searches.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally I returned on the forum. I'm writing a email. Please excuse me for delay. Thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread