This morning in Salerno battlefield......

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Salerno battlefield.

In this place fought german soldiers against Rangers and 82^ Airborne

DOKATOR DEUTSCHE BW ERZEUGNIS

dvc07779.jpg

Some idea about age of this part of knife?

dvc07780.jpg

Brass box FIRST AID

dvc07781.jpg

Unknown object. Some idea???

dvc07782.jpg

dvc07783.jpg

dvc07784.jpg

Appear so :woot: :woot: :woot:

1709100948.jpg

Who find

1709100949.jpg

Some news about this soldier???

dvc07785.jpg

Upvote 1

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
If it turns out he had no children, brothers or sisters, then I think the museum would be a great idea. I wouldn't want to turn it over to a distant relative that may not appreciate it all that much. I think the museum with information about him would be a more fitting place.

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote to someone said me he is a relative of John but he is not able to give me any other information about that is available on Internet and not replied to my questions?
Some idea to contact true relatives?
Thanks.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a fantastic find for sure! The first thing that crossed my mind when I read it -- has anyone contacted the US Military about this find? I'm not sure what is the proper protocol with something such as this. I'm sure they would be interested in knowing about the discovery of a US soldier's dog tags. They may even want to search for more items at the site where this was located. Did that newspaper that was contacted ever do a story? Matteo, let me know if I can assist in any way and thank you!

Regards, Erik in New Jersey

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Matteo!

Upon thinking more about your find and its signifigance, I'm going to recommend that you contact either your local American Consolate or the American Embassy in Italy (I would imagine it's in Rome). It seems as though you have been frustrated in attempting to contact his family and it seems to me that the Embassy would have the proper tools for contacting the next of kin. There may also a proper protocol in the way finds as significant as this are handled and returned to the United States and I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned that. I have a friend here who has connections with the Mexican Embassy in New York City, so if you need any contact telephone numbers or additional information, just send me a Private Message. I commend you on your very signifcant find and your attempts to return it. Let me know if I can help in any way.

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I have said before and in the PM to you with the info. I located a relative. When I first spoke with this relative he answered enough questions to tell me he was related and this was done on the spot he had no time to go look it up so the info I sent you is a relative. I think you may be trying not to return to his family :dontknow:

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
:icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:
As a Viet Nam Area Vet (non combat) and a 1 year contractor in Iraq, I salute ALL Veterans and will shake any of their hands when I meet them.
I know you will do the right thing.
This (yours and Pfc Vegso) story will make headlines!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in contacting the family, i was a seven month old baby when this 'brave man' gave his life defending me & my family & all Americans, they will never be forgotten.

BANNER VOTE
Fossis.......... :icon_salut:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For information on getting a picture of the gravestone (cross), you may wish to contact the American Battle Monuments Commission who is the guardian of America’s overseas commemorative cemeteries and memorials of United States Armed Forces. They may also be able to give you additional info on next of kin.
Their Email address is: [email protected].

rjs123

Dec 14, 2009
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Deep Tech Vista Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly amazing! A banner find indeed!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

BANNER?......... Most Definitely!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you see a WW2 vet, be sure to thank them,not many of the greatest generation left..
Hope the tag makes it home. :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this is an amazing thread
way to go matteo

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Thankyou John J. Vegso, and to all others who fought, and gave thier lives ,not just for us but the whole world. You all will be rememberd this weekend. As far as im concerned I am able to metal detect because of men like John Vegso. I know they are all in a special place now, all of them that SAVED THE WORLD. Hope his tag was returned. All have a great weekend.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The VA said that 16M served; only 1M will be left by 2014.
The current attrition rate is 1K per day !!
With a little effort you can find either the GI or next of kin.
But time is short and relying on our government to give you answers quickly may be asking too much.
I refer you to what can be done with a little research and help from friends.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=392637.0
Tomorrow is Memorial Day; pause and remember why you have the holiday.
Don.........

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good hunt and research of mates of T. Net!.....God rest his soul this soldier . :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread