Thoughts on CTX3030

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a ctx3030 in may of 2013, I have used a variety of different types of detectors in the past few years. What I can say is I wish I would have bought this last year. My silver coin count has tripled in only 6 months compared to last year in 12 months. I swing the 17"Ă—13" coil all the time since I bought it back in july. I have scanned over targets that read 12 inches deep on my machine and have my other hunting buddies, one who owns a minelab explorer se, the other an etrac and lastly a whites dfx. Only the etrac with his sensitivity maxed and gain maxed was able to hear a slight change in the threshold. The ctx3030 wasn't even running at max. I had sensitivity at 22 and gain at 18, it was a nice silver tone through my wireless module. I dug it up and it was 1888 seated dime. I love my ctx3030. Hits deep, finds coins next to nails or bolts or small iron trash. I have a harness but rarely use it to hold up the detector. I use it to mount my digging tool, pinpointer and bag. Also I love the gps features. I can mark a find on the machine and dig it up at a later date. I can mark coordinates to old homesteads and walk right to them. I never worry about if its going to rain on me while I am out. Before I bought the ctx3030, someone else told me if I had a ctx3030 I wouldn't need any other detectors. Wow he was spot on. I have a fisher f75 that now sits in my closet. I guess I better take out the batteries because since I got the ctx I haven't looked back. Maybe the ctx isn't for everyone, there is a bit of a learning curve and if everyone else had one of these machines there would be alot less silver Down Under. Good luck to all and happy hunting!

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was afraid of good reviews on this one...now I have to sell my guitar and synth unit to afford one of these...ugh!!!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have had mine for a few days now and even though I can't test outside because of 3 feet snow you still can spend countless time just going through the menus and manual trying to learn what each button does , also you
Can tell the build quality on it is top notch , very well balanced , I like the fact that the coil wire runs up the shaft , had an incident with my atp pro last summer was walking along swinging away and the coil cable got hooked on a small branch coming out of the ground , with the momentum I had going it pulled the detector right out of my hand and landed on the ground ! Didn't do any damage just happens so fast . I guess if I had used the arm strap it would have stopped it from hitting the ground but I never use that strap , sold my pro and the 5x8 coil about two weeks ago , wish I could of kept both units but was not an option .summer can't come fast enough, unless some of you southern guys want to invite me and my daughters down for a visit lol

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my CTX from BB Hobbies back in August. I have easily 250-300 hours on it. I like most things about the detector, but wish there were a few things different about it. I am actually still learning the CTX and after 200 hours of use, I really started to experiment a bit with the settings and doing things like digging all the targets with any remotely high signal to determine how accurate it is. These are my observations below. I have not owned a Minelab before so many of my opinions about the readings/settings may be the same on other Minelab detectors. My plan is to purchase a Deus next year and eventually be able to come up with my own observations of both of these "high end" detectors.

My positives:

1. Very quiet on the "Gone Hunting" settings. I hardly use my AT Pro because of the chatter it makes.
2. My first Minelab, but I pull out of the field with the better finds when I am with people. Could simply be because I work slower.
3. Menu is set-up fairly intuitively after going through them a few times.
4. Seems to be fairly good at target separation. I routinely dig nails next to coins. (I hear the XP is better, but the CTX seems better then most of the moderate range detectors I have used before.
5. Reacts fairly fast at finding targets and recovering. Not as fast as the AT Pro.
6. Depth readings are pretty accurate (not accurate when target is on top of the ground or within an inch, usually can tell by the sound when this happens).
7. The target trace feature is very helpful on iffy targets and the GPS is a good tool to use when in open areas and trying to make sure that you grid well.
8. Nice that the lower stems raises up about a foot by simply unlocking the shaft, although the handle/meter is longer then other detectors, so you have to have a larger bag to store the detector in (standard Minelab bag will not fit this detector).
9. 6" coil is magnificent in rough terrain and in target separation.
10. You can create your own programs or modify the setting, but my thoughts are that once you set your programs are you really going to go back and keep changing them anyway?
11. Other settings such as adjusting the threshold pitch and noise cancellation are really handy. Adjusting the settings has really helped me to find iffy targets.
12. With the ferrous and conductivity readings, you can get very accurate in determining if an item is aluminium junk or a nickel which read really close to the same. The readings closely relate to the particular coin, but I have seen different soil throw off the readings a bit. I can get probably around 75% accurate on my targets before I dig based on the readings.
13. Some of the stock programs on the machine seem real sketchy. I tried using them, but the can't seem to beat the GH program.

My cons:

1. Weight, but the weight is mitigated by the balance of the machine, but you still feel it. It isn't a Tesoro by any means.
2. Arm cuff is a little flimsy in comparison to the weight. I replaced my arm cuff with a Herke cuff, which doesn't give when I swing.
3. Lots of nooks and crannies around the machine where dust and dirt collects.
4. The machine will null out at times on larger targets. I have this happen on things as small as a Vienna Sausage can lid (It only seems to null out on shallow larger targets). In doing air tests with silver American Eagles, it will sometimes null out when I place the Eagle within about an inch of the coil.
5. Goes fairly deep, but in my opinion this isn't one of the deepest detectors out there. My opinion is that most coins are going to be found in the 8" range or less and this machine has good separation which is more important then running really deep.
6. LCD screen is difficult to see in anything close to bright light.
7. Changing the coils is a little tricky, but it is easier then re-winding cable around a shaft. It would be faster to have an extra lower rod, but they cost $175.
8. I didn't like the Koss headphones that came with the detector and mine broke at the plug within 6 weeks of use. I have seen where others have had a similiar problem.
9. Took me quite a bit of use before I got real accurate at pinpointing with the stock coil. Still sometimes it can be guess work, but I can almost always dig no more than a 3" plug or "pop" shallow targets up with a screwdriver.
10. The detector will burn through alkaline batteries very fast. I get no more than 10 hours use out of a new set, but this can be expected out of a detector with so much going on with it electronically. With the rechargeable battery I will get 20-25 hours use out of it. I have only used alkaline batteries when I forgot my charger and was away from home.
11. The manual only tells gives you a very basic overview of the features and control of this machine. Best settings and other tricks has to be learned by asking or OJT. For example, I have learned that running the machine on auto-sensitivity makes the machine run more stable but I seem to miss some really iffy targets, so I switch back and forth between auto and manual, and run manual-sensitivity as high as I can and still run the machine stable. Taking the machine off of discrimination mode will open up some good signals, but will also produce some false "good" signals such as nails.
12. Routinely, I have heard "high" signals while I get a low number reading and even sometimes the crosshairs seem to show in the penny range. I will still dig these targets and quite often it is a coin. As a result, I prioritize the sound first and then where the cross hairs read and then I check the ferrous/conductivity reading. Seems like with more settings and features, there are pluses and minuses to each.
13. This can be good or bad, but with the stock coil you don't have to be directly over a target to get a reading. This is good when swinging because I can be next to a target and then home in on it; effectively giving me a larger swing path. The problem with this is that you can't get close to larger metallic objects without interference. Turning down the sensitivity helps but doesn't eliminate this. This is another reason that the smaller 6" coil is handy. I can use this coil right up against fences and metal signs and I have found coins that others has missed because of this. Recently, I found a Mercury dime almost under a chain link fence.

Last edited:

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx for your views on the ctx! Going to be a long winter

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent review, Pointman. Thanks for posting.

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with almost all of what Pointman said. I can tell you that with the 17x13 coil it is the deepest detector I have ever used (should be expected). I also primarily use Gone Hunting's coin program.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish Santa would bring me a 17" coil for my ctx ,
Can't see it happening though lol

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my CTX from BB Hobbies back in August. I have easily 250-300 hours on it. I like most things about the detector, but wish there were a few things different about it. I am actually still learning the CTX and after 200 hours of use, I really started to experiment a bit with the settings and doing things like digging all the targets with any remotely high signal to determine how accurate it is. These are my observations below. I have not owned a Minelab before so many of my opinions about the readings/settings may be the same on other Minelab detectors. My plan is to purchase a Deus next year and eventually be able to come up with my own observations of both of these "high end" detectors.

My positives:

1. Very quiet on the "Gone Hunting" settings. I hardly use my AT Pro because of the chatter it makes.
2. My first Minelab, but I pull out of the field with the better finds when I am with people. Could simply be because I work slower.
4. Seems to be fairly good at target separation. I routinely dig nails next to coins. (I hear the XP is better, but the CTX seems better then most of the moderate range detectors I have used before.
5. Reacts fairly fast at finding targets and recovering. Not as fast as the AT Pro.
6. Depth readings are pretty accurate (not accurate when target is on top of the ground or within an inch, usually can tell by the sound when this happens).
7. The target trace feature is very helpful on iffy targets and the GPS is a good tool to use when in open areas and trying to make sure that you grid well.
8. Nice that the lower stems raises up about a foot by simply unlocking the shaft, although the handle/meter is longer then other detectors, so you have to have a larger bag to store the detector in (standard Minelab bag will not fit this detector).
10. You can create your own programs or modify the setting, but my thoughts are that once you set your programs are you really going to go back and keep changing them anyway?
11. Other settings such as adjusting the threshold pitch and noise cancellation are really handy. Adjusting the settings has really helped me to find iffy targets.
12. With the ferrous and conductivity readings, you can get very accurate in determining if an item is aluminium junk or a nickel which read really close to the same. The readings closely relate to the particular coin, but I have seen different soil throw off the readings a bit. I can get probably around 75% accurate on my targets before I dig based on the readings.
13. Some of the stock programs on the machine seem real sketchy. I tried using them, but the can't seem to beat the GH program.

My cons:

1. Weight, but the weight is mitigated by the balance of the machine, but you still feel it. It isn't a Tesoro by any means.
2. Arm cuff is a little flimsy in comparison to the weight. I replaced my arm cuff with a Herke cuff, which doesn't give when I swing.
4. The machine will null out at times on larger targets. I have this happen on things as small as a Vienna Sausage can lid.
5. Goes fairly deep, but in my opinion this isn't one of the deepest detectors out there. My opinion is that most coins are going to be found in the 8" range or less and this machine has good separation which is more important then running really deep.
7. Changing the coils is a little tricky, but it is easier then re-winding cable around a shaft. It would be faster to have an extra lower rod, but they cost $175.
8. I didn't like the Koss headphones that came with the detector and mine broke at the plug within 6 weeks of use. I have seen where others have had a similiar problem.
9. Took me quite a bit of use before I got real accurate at pinpointing with the stock coil. Still sometimes it can be guess work, but I can almost always dig no more than a 3" plug or "pop" shallow targets up with a screwdriver.
10. The detector will burn through alkaline batteries very fast. I get no more than 10 hours use out of a new set, but this can be expected out of a detector with so much going on with it electronically. With the rechargeable battery I will get 20-25 hours use out of it. I have only used alkaline batteries when I forgot my charger and was away from home.
11. The manual only tells gives you a very basic overview of the features and control of this machine. Best settings and other tricks has to be learned by asking or OJT. For example, I have learned that running the machine on auto-sensitivity makes the machine run more stable but I seem to miss some really iffy targets, so I switch back and forth between auto and manual, and run manual-sensitivity as high as I can and still run the machine stable. Taking the machine off of discrimination mode will open up some good signals, but will also produce some false "good" signals such as nails.
12. Routinely, I have heard "high" signals while I get a low number reading and even sometimes the crosshairs seem to show in the penny range. I will still dig these targets and quite often it is a coin. As a result, I prioritize the sound first and then where the cross hairs read and then I check the ferrous/conductivity reading. Seems like with more settings and features, there are pluses and minuses to each.
13. This can be good or bad, but with the stock coil you don't have to be directly over a target to get a reading. This is good when swinging because I can be next to a target and then home in on it; effectively giving me a larger swing path. The problem with this is that you can't get close to larger metallic objects without interference. Turning down the sensitivity helps but doesn't eliminate this. This is another reason that the smaller 6" coil is handy. I can use this coil right up against fences and metal signs and I have found coins that others has missed because of this. Recently, I found a Mercury dime almost under a chain link fence.

That's an excellent review, Pointman!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My positives:

My cons:

4. The machine will null out at times on larger targets. I have this happen on things as small as a Vienna Sausage can lid (It only seems to null out on shallow larger targets). In doing air tests with silver American Eagles, it will sometimes null out when I place the Eagle within about an inch of the coil.

Great post! Gone Hunting settings on the CTX really changes things! Glad you like it! Great review!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't used the largest coil so I cannot attest to the depth.

I recently spoke with Bart Davis concerning some sketchy sounds with the stock coil and he believes that they may be coins that are real deep. My next step is to dig all the targets to see exactly how deep this machine tends to go with the stock coil. I have the tendency to dig all the very clear signals which are usually within the 6" range. The soil in the areas where I hunt has very little mineralization.

Last week I dug a 1967 dime that was between 8-9 inches in stable soil. The graph readings was in the low 12 range, but it sounded high. I knew it was a clad dime or quarter because of the sound, but it wasn't consistent. Sensitivity was on manual and set at 23.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't used the largest coil so I cannot attest to the depth.

I recently spoke with Bart Davis concerning some sketchy sounds with the stock coil and he believes that they may be coins that are real deep. My next step is to dig all the targets to see exactly how deep this machine tends to go with the stock coil. I have the tendency to dig all the very clear signals which are usually within the 6" range. The soil in the areas where I hunt has very little mineralization.

Last week I dug a 1967 dime that was between 8-9 inches in stable soil. The graph readings was in the low 12 range, but it sounded high. I knew it was a clad dime or quarter because of the sound, but it wasn't consistent. Sensitivity was on manual and set at 23.

Call me if I can help more!

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the soil is good as you say it is, crank up your sensitivity to 27 or 28 and those signals might clear up for you.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish Santa would bring me a 17" coil for my ctx , Can't see it happening though lol Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
I wish he would make me a 8 inch coil

Dig until your arm falls off

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My positives:

I use my ATP with sensitivity at max 95% of the time and have very little chatter....and i hunt cellar holes and other iron infested areas. If ground balance is set properly the atp is very quiet and i also almost always run in all metal. Oh, and my opinion of the ctx is that it is overpriced and way more complicated than need be. My advise is for the money; buy the ATP or gold for water use and if you dont like it on land you still have $1800.00 or so to buy another machine. Thats enough to buy the Deus! And not many people will admit to a $2500.00 mistake! I wouldn't.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my ATP with sensitivity at max 95% of the time and have very little chatter....and i hunt cellar holes and other iron infested areas. If ground balance is set properly the atp is very quiet and i also almost always run in all metal. Oh, and my opinion of the ctx is that it is overpriced and way more complicated than need be. My advise is for the money; buy the ATP or gold for water use and if you dont like it on land you still have $1800.00 or so to buy another machine. Thats enough to buy the Deus! And not many people will admit to a $2500.00 mistake! I wouldn't.

It's always wonderful to hear opinions from people who have never owned the detector.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own the CTX yet. I went on a week long trip and we hunted 8 hard hours a day. I have a Minelab Safari with a Sunray inline pointer and a protect cover, with the 11" coil. It is heavy, I felt it after a few 8 Hr. days. There were three other guys with us. They all had the CTX 3030. One guy was from digg wars, I don't want to use his name. The other guy owns a metal detecting business on the West coast.They all had nothing but good things to say about the CTX, I never heard any of them complain about the weight. I was a little unsure about getting one until I read this post. I was going to get the X Cail for water hunting and keep the Safari for regular hunting. I have changed my mind thanks to this post, I will get one befor spring. I am also getting the harness that Minelab put out, that should cover the weight issue. The weight is a problem when you have arthritis in your elbo. Thank you all, you gave me all the information I needed to make up my mind.
Jim

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
MĂ©xico
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

You sir are part of the following quote ... literaly. LOL

The only people that will give negative reviews on the CTX 3030 is #1- folks that doesn't have one, #2- folks that can't learn to use one properly.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE used one...and was not impressed, especially for the price. Fancy screens and programs dont float my boat! Finding the good stuff is all i care about and not showing off my 2500 dollar machine! Show me something that the ctx has found that i couldnt find with my ATP. It doesnt read deeper...actually depth sucks for the price! And target seperation is no better than the pro with the 5x8....so what is so great about it? Maybe its the flutie music it plays in trashy areas????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread