Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE used one...and was not impressed, especially for the price. Fancy screens and programs dont float my boat! Finding the good stuff is all i care about and not showing off my 2500 dollar machine! Show me something that the ctx has found that i couldnt find with my ATP. It doesnt read deeper...actually depth sucks for the price! And target seperation is no better than the pro with the 5x8....so what is so great about it? Maybe its the flutie music it plays in trashy areas????
Just goes to show what you don't know. Why stop there? Why not expound on your display of foolishness?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What??? If you're refering to the depth; a F75, A T2SE, any CZ, or several Tesoro machines are much deeper in any ground for a fraction of the money. So instead of making a stupid statement as above; TELL ME WHAT THIS MIRACLE MACHINE CAN DO THAT A $500 INFERIOR ATP CANNOT?????????????

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What??? If you're refering to the depth; a F75, A T2SE, any CZ, or several Tesoro machines are much deeper in any ground for a fraction of the money. So instead of making a stupid statement as above; TELL ME WHAT THIS MIRACLE MACHINE CAN DO THAT A $500 INFERIOR ATP CANNOT?????????????

So you haven't OWNED one. Let me guess, you held one that someone else was using? You swung the coil a couple times and now you're an expert?

When I first bought my E-Trac 5 years ago I HATED IT! I felt like I was missing so much and I couldn't pinpoint worth a damn. But I new I had to LEARN it before I made the decision to sell it or not. Guess what, after about 20 hours I was starting to like it. After 100 hours I LOVED it because I found more old coins that ever before. It was heads and shoulders above my Garrett and my Whites.

Please stop acting as if just because someone likes a Minelab that they hate all other machines. It's not about showing off how much money a person has to spend. If you don't like the features of the CTX, that's fine. NO detector is right for everyone. I don't care if you use an ATP, why do you care if others don't?

newfie

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Dawsonville, Ga
Detector(s) used
whites,fisher
I've owned Garrett, Whites and Fisher, have a CZ 20 now that's about 15 years or more old but I am very interested in the 3030 Minelab, I do a lot of water and beach hunting, the Caribbean especially, would this be a good detector to have or should I consider a Fisher CZ 21 with larger coil? It seems that those of you who have the 3030 are pleased with it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned Garrett, Whites and Fisher, have a CZ 20 now that's about 15 years or more old but I am very interested in the 3030 Minelab, I do a lot of water and beach hunting, the Caribbean especially, would this be a good detector to have or should I consider a Fisher CZ 21 with larger coil? It seems that those of you who have the 3030 are pleased with it.
If you're going to spend that much time in the water, you might want to check into sending your old CZ in for the upgrade to CZ-21 guts. It's not cheap, but it's far less than another machine as well built and capable.
And a side benefit is that you don't need to learn a whole new machine.

newfie

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Dawsonville, Ga
Detector(s) used
whites,fisher
thanks, I never thought of that, next trip is not til May so I've got the time.....appreciate your comment, thanks

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I HAVE used one...and was not impressed, especially for the price. Fancy screens and programs dont float my boat! Finding the good stuff is all i care about and not showing off my 2500 dollar machine! Show me something that the ctx has found that i couldnt find with my ATP. It doesnt read deeper...actually depth sucks for the price! And target seperation is no better than the pro with the 5x8....so what is so great about it? Maybe its the flutie music it plays in trashy areas????

Just to be clear and fair, just because you used one is not the same as owning one and learn it as it should.

There are detectorists like myself who use this machine at the beach where the ATP doesn't actually shine in wet sand, the disc pattern I can do with the 3030 has no comparisson in a primitive disc which is basicaly conductive =/= non conductive of the ATP, I can dig bi-metal coins (Stainless Steel ringed, center is a bronze alloy) and still can discriminate 95%+ of the rest of the ferrous or trash targets for me, try that with the ATP and if it can detect one in wetsand, it'd be nulled cause of the SS ring.

Target separation is so good that this bi-metal coins show as 2 targets in the screen in Ferrous/Coin mode.

If I wanted a true deep machine, I'd get a PI, but I dont envy at all the couple extra inches they get vs digging EVERYTHING, I can live by getting the 17" coil and gain a couple of inches in depth, pricey yes but since I won't be digging trash It'd be paying for itself in no time even with clad.

Raw depth does not equal as a better detector.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be clear and fair, just because you used one is not the same as owning one and learn it as it should.

There are detectorists like myself who use this machine at the beach where the ATP doesn't actually shine in wet sand, the disc pattern I can do with the 3030 has no comparisson in a primitive disc which is basicaly conductive =/= non conductive of the ATP, I can dig bi-metal coins (Stainless Steel ringed, center is a bronze alloy) and still can discriminate 95%+ of the rest of the ferrous or trash targets for me, try that with the ATP and if it can detect one in wetsand, it'd be nulled cause of the SS ring.

Target separation is so good that this bi-metal coins show as 2 targets in the screen in Ferrous/Coin mode.

If I wanted a true deep machine, I'd get a PI, but I dont envy at all the couple extra inches they get vs digging EVERYTHING, I can live by getting the 17" coil and gain a couple of inches in depth, pricey yes but since I won't be digging trash It'd be paying for itself in no time even with clad.

Raw depth does not equal as a better detector.

Thank you....finally someone gives a straight answer without just saying something ignorant. This makes some sense to me for the area and targets that you are hunting. And no i dont have alot of experience with this machine. But i dont hunt beaches and i hunt very little for modern jewelry/coins. I mainly hunt pre 1900 homesites and also hunt relics/ civil war sites. So honestly, do you see the ctx really being worth the money for me compared to machines like the f75, T2, Tejon, etc. I have heard some good things about the T2 with the relic hunters....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I primarily use my CTX for beach detecting and coin shooting, but it seems to be an awesome relic machine too. Here's a video that's pretty good on its ability to pick targets out of nail infested sites. This guy seems to know a lot about almost every detector out there for relic hunting, check out some of his other videos. I've owned the ATPro so must disagree with many of the previous comments about depth and target seperation in particular, but that's just my 2 cents! Not here to bash it.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering a ctx as it has a couple features that really interest me. The first one is mapping. I am curious as how this actually works. Before I start a hunt I usually do it in a 2 phases. The first one is map and Grid the area while establish durable land marks. Then I scan the area quickly and dig a couple areas and see if I can date and Identify any item that could belong to the site. After this I start the detecting part.

once I dig an item, will it let me designate which items came from each area I decided to dig by unique id? If so I am really interested in this detector.

The other thing that interests me in this system is the all terrain aspect. I have seen it does really nicely in wet areas. Occasionally, I am in a salt water swamp and am curious if this machine does decently in these conditions.

Cheers - Koffee

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering a ctx as it has a couple features that really interest me. The first one is mapping. I am curious as how this actually works. Before I start a hunt I usually do it in a 2 phases. The first one is map and Grid the area while establish durable land marks. Then I scan the area quickly and dig a couple areas and see if I can date and Identify any item that could belong to the site. After this I start the detecting part. once I dig an item, will it let me designate which items came from each area I decided to dig by unique id? If so I am really interested in this detector. The other thing that interests me in this system is the all terrain aspect. I have seen it does really nicely in wet areas. Occasionally, I am in a salt water swamp and am curious if this machine does decently in these conditions. Cheers - Koffee

Koffee,

It should serve you well in both aspects you mentioned. I have only tinkered with the mapping a few times on the beach. The GPS is very accurate and should work perfectly for your technique you mentioned. Secondly, it is very good in salt water/ beaches and I would think salt water swamps, though I've never used mine in one. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Koffee,

It should serve you well in both aspects you mentioned. I have only tinkered with the mapping a few times on the beach. The GPS is very accurate and should work perfectly for your technique you mentioned. Secondly, it is very good in salt water/ beaches and I would think salt, water swamps, though I've never used mine in one. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Koffee,

The Ctx3030 is a great all around machine. When you connect the Ctx3030 up to a computer using minelab xchange software you can input gps coordinates such as way points. Say there is a an old homesteads that you are interested in finding and you know the coordinates, input coordinates with the computer. When you are out in the field you can use gps on Ctx3030 to walk you right to your site. Also say while you are at your site you find something interesting, maybe its about to thunderstorm and you cannot recover this object at this time, you can scan target with Ctx3030 and save a findpoint. The detector will save the gps coordinates, program you were using at the time, identification numbers and so forth. Now you can return to this special spot and dig up whatever you marked as a find point in the machine. You also can start what is called a geohunt from the time that you turn your detector on and hit record. The Ctx3030 will record your tracks on a map that you can view on your machine and also on your computer using google maps and see just how well you actually gridded out an area. The Ctx3030 just has so many great features. I love my Ctx3030, its truely an all in one machine. It has excellent target separation, extreme depth and responds well in any type of ground mineralization. If you take the time to learn this machine it will pay for itself providing you are at good locations. Talking about depth I have recovered a dime at 12 inches+ , I knew it was a dime before I dug it. If you are considering a Ctx3030 and take the time to learn it you won't need any other detectors. I also have used an At pro, and when I scanned the at pro over the 12 inch dime target I didn't even get a small whisper with it. I sold my at pro because it just doesn't compete with the Ctx3030. I also love the backlight I can hunt with this machine in the dark! I also have a fisher f75 as a backup detector, since buying the Ctx3030 back in june of this year, I haven't used it once. I removed the batteries and it remains in my closet. I only keep it for the sole purpose that if a friend of mine wants to try out detecting and doesn't have a machine he or she can borrow mine. GLHH to all!!

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for the information and time Fletch88 and Dirtfishingdave I am really intrigued by the information!!

Cheers - Koffee

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also you can store up up to 100 way points and 100 findpoints,. In xchange software you can also rename finpoints and way points with anything you want. Say "silver at swamp"

Glhh!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All this ctx talk is just Makeing me nuts waiting for spring to try mine out !!! Lol

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been out in a few weeks, today temperature was 30 degrees and snow still on the ground here in pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I decided I am tired of waiting for it to melt, so today after work I went out and dug some holes. I have to admit the ground was frozen for the first few inches then it was easy digging after that. Only found about a buck in clad and this cool piece of jewelry

ForumRunner_20131218_194504.png

20131209_184850-1.jpg

I believe its a david yurman cable bracelet made out of silver. I am not sure about the stones, but I love my ctx3030, best investment ever!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey nice find there!!

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Sharecropper

Feb 27, 2009
I would like to contribute my 2 cents worth.

Guys, first off, I have been MD'ing since 1975. That's 38 years of swinging a dang detector. I have recovered my fair share of civil war relics, coins, and other items of value. I started with an all-metal Fisher, and in 1982 I graduated to a Garrett. Then in 1994 I upgraded to a Garrett Deepseeker ADS 7. My Christmas present in 2005 was a brand new Etrac. With this Minelab machine I have recovered some outstanding coins and relics which, if sold, would pay for the Etrac many times over. I feel that I have mastered the Etrac and am capable of recovering any and all targets of value within 12" of the soil surface running in wide-open TTF with maxed-out sensitivity.

For our 43rd wedding anniversary, my wife and I have booked a 5-day trip to Grand Cayman Island south of Cuba. So today I ordered a new CTX3030 From Bart at Big Boys Hobbies along with a set of Grey Ghost waterproof headphones so I can hunt the shallow water down there out in front of the big resorts. I really do not care what this equipment costs, because after 2 back surgeries and a major heart attack which came within 15 minutes of killing me, the cost of these toys is insignificant.

So the debate rages on whether the CTX3030 is worth the investment. When you guys get my age and have gone through what I have, money will mean nothing. Hell, buy the machine and enjoy what time you have left on this earth. And post photos of your finds so we can all share in your enjoyment.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some great information on these posts. The find points can be renamed and will all display on you google map in Xchange2. You add a picture to the map after you get home. I've used mine on some archaeology digs, and the bread crumb trail and find points were great asserts for the project. The find points give you depth, target ID, detector settings, gps coordinates etc.

There isn't anything else out there even close to this technology. It's an awesome machine.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread