Thoughts on CTX3030

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to contribute my 2 cents worth.

Guys, first off, I have been MD'ing since 1975. That's 38 years of swinging a dang detector. I have recovered my fair share of civil war relics, coins, and other items of value. I started with an all-metal Fisher, and in 1982 I graduated to a Garrett. Then in 1994 I upgraded to a Garrett Deepseeker ADS 7. My Christmas present in 2005 was a brand new Etrac. With this Minelab machine I have recovered some outstanding coins and relics which, if sold, would pay for the Etrac many times over. I feel that I have mastered the Etrac and am capable of recovering any and all targets of value within 12" of the soil surface running in wide-open TTF with maxed-out sensitivity.

For our 43rd wedding anniversary, my wife and I have booked a 5-day trip to Grand Cayman Island south of Cuba. So today I ordered a new CTX3030 From Bart at Big Boys Hobbies along with a set of Grey Ghost waterproof headphones so I can hunt the shallow water down there out in front of the big resorts. I really do not care what this equipment costs, because after 2 back surgeries and a major heart attack which came within 15 minutes of killing me, the cost of these toys is insignificant.

So the debate rages on whether the CTX3030 is worth the investment. When you guys get my age and have gone through what I have, money will mean nothing. Hell, buy the machine and enjoy what time you have left on this earth. And post photos of your finds so we can all share in your enjoyment.

Thank You for the information and it sure looks like a sharp machine. Oh and let us know how the new machine works for you !!

Cheers - Koffee

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't own the CTX yet. I went on a week long trip and we hunted 8 hard hours a day. I have a Minelab Safari with a Sunray inline pointer and a protect cover, with the 11" coil. It is heavy, I felt it after a few 8 Hr. days. There were three other guys with us. They all had the CTX 3030. One guy was from digg wars, I don't want to use his name. The other guy owns a metal detecting business on the West coast.They all had nothing but good things to say about the CTX, I never heard any of them complain about the weight. I was a little unsure about getting one until I read this post. I was going to get the X Cail for water hunting and keep the Safari for regular hunting. I have changed my mind thanks to this post, I will get one befor spring. I am also getting the harness that Minelab put out, that should cover the weight issue. The weight is a problem when you have arthritis in your elbo. Thank you all, you gave me all the information I needed to make up my mind.
Jim
I wanted to address something concerning the CTX's weight. I use my CTX on 5-7 hour hunts almost non-stop, at least twice a week. I started to have problems here recently with elbow and shoulder pain. I was talking with Keith at New Bedford and there was one commonality concerning my pain, I HAD BEEN ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY BEEN USING THE 6 INCH COIL, in the last 5-6 hunts. I think that the larger stock coil offsets the balance on the battery box end, while the smaller coil has the tendency to move the pivot point of the CTX closer to the battery end and away from the control box handle. I then have to compensate by using a tighter grip and force the coil down more.

To remedy this, I started to run my lower rod end further out which has helped some by moving the fulcrum point closer to the coil end.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
MĂ©xico
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah the only thing that hurts me is my grip, after 6-8hr of use my hand grip does hurt lol, no shoulder or elbow though, only grp, but using the 11".

I bought the Pro-swing to help me out, first it was very strange and awkward to walk around with the harness, but after like 20 adjustments I forgot I'm using it, grip still somewhat hurts but not as much as without it.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to be clear and fair, just because you used one is not the same as owning one and learn it as it should.

There are detectorists like myself who use this machine at the beach where the ATP doesn't actually shine in wet sand, the disc pattern I can do with the 3030 has no comparisson in a primitive disc which is basicaly conductive =/= non conductive of the ATP, I can dig bi-metal coins (Stainless Steel ringed, center is a bronze alloy) and still can discriminate 95%+ of the rest of the ferrous or trash targets for me, try that with the ATP and if it can detect one in wetsand, it'd be nulled cause of the SS ring.

Target separation is so good that this bi-metal coins show as 2 targets in the screen in Ferrous/Coin mode.

If I wanted a true deep machine, I'd get a PI, but I dont envy at all the couple extra inches they get vs digging EVERYTHING, I can live by getting the 17" coil and gain a couple of inches in depth, pricey yes but since I won't be digging trash It'd be paying for itself in no time even with clad.

Raw depth does not equal as a better detector.

Concerning the target separation, after hundreds of hours on my CTX, 5 hunts ago, I was getting a real "iffy" target. I am not sure what the cross hairs were reading, but my sound and readings were bouncing. I dug up my target and I had a "clad" sandwich consisting of a couple of dimes and pennies about four inches down and stacked neatly. I also almost duplicated this find a week ago with a couple of silver Roosevelts, Wheat pennies and Mercury dimes. In both instances, I had bouncy readings and what I found was that the CTX was reading all the targets separately. In both cases both targets were stacked dimes and pennies.

One comment on the mapping feature:

I don't use it much, but in experimenting, it works really well in helping you thoroughly search an area. I have a large park that I started mapping and it will take me at least 5 hunts to touch every corner of it. I was able to search about 15% of it on the first hunt and afterwards I am able to see how well I covered the area. I like the feature because I am able to see how well I overlap and area. The only feature that I really have not used is the "find points" but I can see where this would be perfect in mapping out a battlefield or old CW campsite.

Last edited:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing that makes one locator better than another is whether you understand and like it. I have a Fisher F75 that was bought about three years ago and a Minelab CTX3030 that was bought about two months ago. I really like the F75 and can only criticize its' dislike for EMI. I have found many good things with it. Now, I am still in the learning process with the CTX, but, I am already comfortable with it and approaching complete confidence in it. I think the best detector is the one you have and like, regardless of brand or cost.

One thing I do know for a fact, you can't go wrong if you purchase your locating machine and equipment from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies in Oklahoma City, OK. He will provide you with experienced information and quality products, before AND after the sale. If you have questions about a certain machine, he will give you the straight skinny, no B.S.! If he doesn't know (which is a rarity), he will tell you and then do his best to find out for you. Bart is a man you can trust for a good deal......all the way around!! Before you get sucked into buying from the big, 'well known' store that offers 'hundreds of dollars worth of free accessories', check out what Bart offers. You will get just as good of a price, but, the difference will be in the incentive items! You get brand name, quality products that have true value! Make the comparison and you will be convinced!!

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CTX Cons-

price, component prices like a $300 6'' coil, twice as much as my white's/
I'd put weight, but it's not a big deal. Plus we are getting exercise while we detect, right?

Pro's...

High HIGH quality build, makes every other detector feel like junk. Stable carbon fiber rod, easy quick adjust, clean display, ect.
TARGET TRACE

Simply put, buy it and learn it. Once you really learn it, you won't regret it.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
MĂ©xico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yep, premium products always come with a premium price ... :laughing1:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CTX Cons-

price, component prices like a $300 6'' coil, twice as much as my white's/
I'd put weight, but it's not a big deal. Plus we are getting exercise while we detect, right?

<snip>

Actually, the weight is a big deal for me. Once some momentum is established with the 17" coil, my arthritis has a hard time reversing it! I traded the 17" for the 6" coil. Yeah, the price is a factor, but, like others have said.....the good stuff ain't cheap. I have to like your "Pro's"......I feel the same way!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like what SHARECROPPER said. At my age I want to enjoy all makes and models and as long as my wife doesnt catch on to me and throw my cloths in the yard. I have five right now but will probably double that number before my wish list is complete and yes the 3030 is on my list. I have enjoyed all the verbal banter. ( smile) P.S. my ADS Deepseeker way back in the late nineteen hundreds detected a bullet deeper than I want to dig with that big loop on it. And yes I still say LOOP !

Last edited:

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im into the hobby for 2 years now, and this will be my 3rd. It took me about 1+ year of many times out to learn my whites v3i to where I'm very confident and accurate. Instead of buying a dedicated water detector I decided to give the CTX a try. I'll be able to do water and land with the CTX. I'm looking forward to learning this CTX inside out and seeing what it can do. I will like the GPS functio, for sure. I'll get it and custom program it just like my current V3i program where I discriminate just iron and then two tone it for low range nickel and gold and higher tone for silver and turn my recovery delay up (trashy park) One thing I would like to see is an option for depth discrimination. Many times I hunt a site and don't like to hear signals 2" TO 4"rather 5"+. Figured there would be an easy software change that could allow that.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
concept,
The depth discrimination idea is a good one! And, you are right, it seems like that could be easily done with a little software/firmware update. It would save having to look at the screen every time you get a signal that sounds good. I've only had my CTX for a few months and am just now getting comfortable with it and confidence is growing quickly. I still have my Fisher F75 and will be keeping it for a backup.....I still think it is a great machine. Recently got the 6" DD sniper coil for the CTX, haven't even tried it yet, but, I am sure it will help a lot in trashy areas in which I hunt a lot.
I'm putting a "like" on your post for the depth idea, I think it is a good one!!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im into the hobby for 2 years now, and this will be my 3rd. It took me about 1+ year of many times out to learn my whites v3i to where I'm very confident and accurate. Instead of buying a dedicated water detector I decided to give the CTX a try. I'll be able to do water and land with the CTX. I'm looking forward to learning this CTX inside out and seeing what it can do. I will like the GPS functio, for sure. I'll get it and custom program it just like my current V3i program where I discriminate just iron and then two tone it for low range nickel and gold and higher tone for silver and turn my recovery delay up (trashy park) One thing I would like to see is an option for depth discrimination. Many times I hunt a site and don't like to hear signals 2" TO 4"rather 5"+. Figured there would be an easy software change that could allow that.
The easiest way to tell deep from shallow targets from audio response is to turn volume gain down. Then the deeper targets are much softer sounding and then you may glance at the screen to confirm depth and FE-CO numbers etc. Target trace is really helpful on those iffy targets. Many if my best finds are 2-6 inches deep though so I would still dig the shallow ones except for maybe Zincolns

Last edited:

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately your concept of not digging the shallow targets on the ctx in the 2-4 inch range you will be missing out on the occasional silver, gold and other really old coins. This past summer I dug a standing liberty quarter at 2 inches deep, a 1847 large cent at 1.5 inches deep. Multiple mercury dimes at 3 inches. And a gold ring right on top of ground. You just never know until you see it with your own eyes. Every time I think about skipping that shallow stuff I remember that not all silver, gold, or old coins are deep! Best to dig it all you never want to leave the goodies behind for another guy. Glhh!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are right on the money..........you will never know for sure what it is until you dig it! Until they come out with a detector that can give you an image of an underground object (within the $$$ reach of the average person), you have no choice if you want to know for sure.

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THank you guys for the comments and tips.

You are correct in that you will miss targets in certain locations. I hunt, "hunted out parks" a lot and I can't tell you how many coins I've found deep, in the 6-10" range when I have found absolutely none in the 1-5" range, or an extreme few and those were probably wheats and roseys. I have hit parks and other locations that have been hit relatively slim and found good stuff 1" to 4"..but those are RARE, or houses never hunted. I have also found seated right on top of the ground...visually. I'd love to have depth discrimination for those places that are pounded hard. Would be as easy as a simple program swap button and save my ears for a long day of deep digs. In those parks I find myself watching the screen more than listening sometimes. It would be nice just to hear 6"+ signals...or 4+ whatever I feel I'm hitting the most when I find a place that looks void of shallow targets Sure, there may be some shallows, but I'd like to get the deep sure goodies and then try to find the shallow stuff.

Last edited:

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disclaimer: I neither use nor have used a CTX, but this post is not about the machine.

Still haven't mastered my Safari yet!

Lisfisher, I'm going to offer you a lil different type of advice here.

Please understand I am not trying to flame "You nor anyone else", alot of good advice has been given, but Lisfisher personelly I think you need to stay with the safari until you do master it before jumping. The difference between the safari and the CTX is alot, so much so, that it can become frustrating to some people.

I do not know how long you have been hunting, do see on your profile you have whites listed, there is a whole world of difference between a whites, (My First detector) and a minelab(My current detectors).

Everyone has given you great advice pertaining to the CTX, but my question and concern is if you are ready for one. Do I use a CTX no sir, have enough confidence in my excal to know it hits as deep as I want to dig.

There are Pros and Cons about upgrading, some say start with the most complex detector stick you can and learn it, others say get the easiest and learn the basics first as the basics are what will allow you to find the deep targets. Buying the most complex stick can lead to frustration, hence letting it sit in a corner and collect cobwebs or getting out of the hobby, seen both happen.

So please understand, any minelab has a very high degree of learning, and a steep as heck learning curve compared to other detectors, and you are planning on jumping abourd the most complex minelab has to offer.

If you do please do not get frustrated, understand it might take you a year or so to learn the machine.

I wish you the best.

Swing slow, dig deep......

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sleeper is putting out some very, very sound advice. However, there are personal exceptions, but, they are probably rare. I was told the Fisher F75 was "too much machine" for my first detector and that I would become frustrated and probably give up the hobby. Well, I found the machine most intuitive and easy to learn. However, Sleeper is correct about the CTX, at least, as far as I am concerned. It is a completely different animal from the F75 and it speaks a completely different language. There are many more user options, each of which can affect where and how you are detecting and for what. I would consider it a relatively steep learning curve and one that will take some time to master.....maybe a LONG time. I can say that after three months, I have become comfortable with the CTX and considerably more confident in what I am digging. If you do get it, like Sleeper said, stick with it! It is a great machine and will reward your persistence with some great finds. If you don't already have one, do yourself a favor and get a good shovel with the CTX.....it IS a deep seeker.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sleeper is putting out some very, very sound advice. However, there are personal exceptions, but, they are probably rare. I was told the Fisher F75 was "too much machine" for my first detector and that I would become frustrated and probably give up the hobby. Well, I found the machine most intuitive and easy to learn. However, Sleeper is correct about the CTX, at least, as far as I am concerned. It is a completely different animal from the F75 and it speaks a completely different language. There are many more user options, each of which can affect where and how you are detecting and for what. I would consider it a relatively steep learning curve and one that will take some time to master.....maybe a LONG time. I can say that after three months, I have become comfortable with the CTX and considerably more confident in what I am digging. If you do get it, like Sleeper said, stick with it! It is a great machine and will reward your persistence with some great finds. If you don't already have one, do yourself a favor and get a good shovel with the CTX.....it IS a deep seeker.

I would tend to agree with you. I saw, held, and read a lot about the CTX, but you cannot understand it without OJT. Totally different then any other detector.

Before I took the plunge, I had extensive experience with an AT Pro, Whites IDX, various Tesoros' and a few other Whites if this gives you some idea of how much of a curve it was for me to pick up my FIRST Minelab and it being a a CTX. I had read enough and saw enough videos to believe in the machine, but for my first 4 hunts (15 hours) of use, I "side saddled" my AT Pro and pulled that out as I my trust or experience waned with the CTX and to recheck my targets. I am still learning things about the machine, but it took me about ten hunts to really understand and get used to it.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
MĂ©xico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would tend to agree with you. I saw, held, and read a lot about the CTX, but you cannot understand it without OJT. Totally different then any other detector.

Before I took the plunge, I had extensive experience with an AT Pro, Whites IDX, various Tesoros' and a few other Whites if this gives you some idea of how much of a curve it was for me to pick up my FIRST Minelab and it being a a CTX. I had read enough and saw enough videos to believe in the machine, but for my first 4 hunts (15 hours) of use, I "side saddled" my AT Pro and pulled that out as I my trust or experience waned with the CTX and to recheck my targets. I am still learning things about the machine, but it took me about ten hunts to really understand and get used to it.

yeah and in top of that, after watching many videos and almost memorizing the manual, you need to identify what setting works best for you in your specific hunting ground, so the first hunts might be somehwat frustrating, switching from a detector you know well to something that you feel it should outperform right away but it takes a bit of time too, once you get confortable with it its just a breeze, I've digged countles and countles coins with nails in my scoop (Beach use) AND being bi-metal coins (Stainles steel ringed) and it just makes me smile that its possible to acomplish that !

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately your concept of not digging the shallow targets on the ctx in the 2-4 inch range you will be missing out on the occasional silver, gold and other really old coins. This past summer I dug a standing liberty quarter at 2 inches deep, a 1847 large cent at 1.5 inches deep. Multiple mercury dimes at 3 inches. And a gold ring right on top of ground. You just never know until you see it with your own eyes. Every time I think about skipping that shallow stuff I remember that not all silver, gold, or old coins are deep! Best to dig it all you never want to leave the goodies behind for another guy. Glhh!

Very true, I found a 1830's button on the top of the ground and the coin in my avatar was dug right under the grass roots, less than an inch. When I dug it I thought it had to be junk, because all other old targets were around 5-8''. I also dug a US boxplate at 2'' deep and got the overload signal on my detector, I almost skipped it thinking it was a can.

Dig everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions