Thoughts on finding wedding rings

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was reading another post tonight about finding a child's ring and how sad it seemed:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/336077-saddest-find-i-ve-ever-made.html

I have found a number of lost wedding and engagement rings over the years and was, on a few occasions, able to find the original owner. But for the most part they were lost by parties unknown. I sold them and the cash was nice. However, it was always a bit sad. Imagine losing something that should be so precious to you. Most of us know how to go and recover something we have lost, but for many it is not an option. Sometimes our finds to carry a note of sadness in the joy of the find.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many lost items over the years. Items like the wallet where the owners id are inside I call them to return the wallet. Jewelry usually isn't marked with Names and addresses so these are classed as mine till I know of the owner. If I read of a lost item and know I found it, I return it if I can. But I am not going to post ads everywhere that I found such and such. A gold wedding band of 5 gr. is worth about $142.00 at today's spot price and paying 96% of spot. Its a nice bonus to all that clad. Turning it in to Police is throwing it away usually. But that is the legal way to do it.:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I have found many lost items over the years. Items like the wallet where the owners id are inside I call them to return the wallet. Jewelry usually isn't marked with Names and addresses so these are classed as mine till I know of the owner. If I read of a lost item and know I found it, I return it if I can. But I am not going to post ads everywhere that I found such and such. A gold wedding band of is worth about $142.00 at today's spot price and paying 96% of spot. Its a nice bonus to all that clad. Turning it in to Police is throwing it away usually. But that is the legal way to do it.:icon_scratch:

Your words are always very wise sandman!!! & you nailed it!!!

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I'm somewhat new to this hobby, I'm still looking for that lost ring. I suppose it would be a fun thing to return something like a wedding or class ring if possible, but I also don't think I would pay to post a bunch of ads.

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started this thread I did not think it would go in this direction. But that is cool. To each their own. My only point was that everything we find was lost by someone and that adds a note of sadness to the find. I get it that not many things can be returned. Gold coins have not been in circulation for about 80 years! But, even a hundred years ago somebody reached into their pocket for a coin that was a lot of money to them, only to find it was gone. That was my only point. I found a small Princess ring with three small stones. Where I found it I will never identify the owner. But, some poor child lost her ring and that is a shame. Some how this became all about gold wedding rings. We find many things beyond that. The only truth about this process I was addressing is that before you can find it, someone has to lose it. To me, that adds a little sadness to the process.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggestion, please do not call members on here idiots..............It violates our rules and can earn members timeouts.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add that one day I was approached by a lady that lost her pearl ring. I took her name and phone number and about one year later I found that ring, at least I think it was the right one, but I lost her number. I still have that ring and hope I run into her as she said it was her mother's. I ran an ad but no takers and this was about six years ago. I will never lose that ring as I know the owner's face.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First gold ring I ever dug was under a giant old oak in this ladies yard I knew. I was stoked and also dug a few old silvers. The ring had initials in it. I left it in a baggie with a note. She called me back a couple of days later and said they could not figure out the owner. The house had been in their family since it was built. The ring was mine she said and appreciated me letting her see it and try to figure out who's it might be. I dug civil war relics in her yard and the neighbors later on after that. The ring went to the scrap pile and was melted. This is just how I do things the thought never occurred to me to do differently. I am sure a park find or beach find would be much more difficult and most times impossible to track down.
Grizleebear I lost my fathers gold ring when I was a kid, wearing a ring to big, my arm out the window being cool on a Saturday night. I still regret that when I see old pictures of him with it on so yeah I know what ya mean in your original post.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that doesn't say anything about returning things.

I WILL assist authorities and the public in the recovery of lost items when asked, and will make every effort to return marked items to their rightful owners. :icon_scratch:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Right on Kep!!!! Miss you!! You doing good?? My dad is giving me his whites....I'm so excited!!! Looking forward to getting back to it!!!
Adrain..aka..iCandy.....I am doing fine you sounding like you are doing good......So you are going to get that Whites of your dads ........ And then be back on the detecting trail......... We have had a lot of snow and cold up here so i did not do much this winter............. Buy when the weather breaks i have found a old foundation out in the woods i will be picking clean.................HH ..keppy....

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WILL assist authorities and the public in the recovery of lost items when asked, and will make every effort to return marked items to their rightful owners. :icon_scratch:

Good for u, but like I said in this thread I bought my detector to benefit me only.

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish i could find a ring to feel guilty about lol!
I would possibly post a found ring on C/l and see who replies with type of ring, size, stones, engravings etc.

i would feel good returning something to its rightful owner, however if its unmarked and i need funds for a new MD (like i do) i am finding gold and gems for a new top of the line MD first.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrizLeeBear said:
Did I call someone an Idiot?

He's talking about me Griz...& was nothing you said or did wrong...I simply stated my opinion...& got bit by a vulcher...& ....eh....I'm no stranger to a time out....I kinda like em..... ,) !!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains said:

GETTEM TIGER!!!! LMAO!!!! But do you realllllly think those authorities would assist you in a desperate time??? C'mon...we all know the answer to that!!! But whatever makes your fountain trickle (giggling)!!!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Adrain..aka..iCandy.....I am doing fine you sounding like you are doing good......So you are going to get that Whites of your dads ........ And then be back on the detecting trail......... We have had a lot of snow and cold up here so i did not do much this winter............. Buy when the weather breaks i have found a old foundation out in the woods i will be picking clean.................HH ..keppy....

Kep...I'm having detecting withdrawal...lol...ARGHHHH!!!!

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I learned in my 3yrs of lifeguarding-Stop wearing rings. It took me yrs and over 5 really nice silver rings to get it thru my thick skull that swimming/playing with rings on is not smart.
Unfortunately if your at the beach, with your $3K ring and you lose it, sure I'll feel bad....but if I find it and you're not there.....well.....yeah lol;).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
GETTEM TIGER!!!! LMAO!!!! But do you realllllly think those authorities would assist you in a desperate time??? C'mon...we all know the answer to that!!! But whatever makes your fountain trickle (giggling)!!!!!
... iCandy .. You are right there the only way the authorities would assist you would be to ...Take your equipment from you.... take your finds away from you.. lock you up....... And in real desperate times they would tell you to go to ..he!!.......

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air

I've offered my assistance to the local cops and game warden although they have yet to contact me. My uncle has detected for both in the past. He has found shell casings and drug pipes that helped in convicting criminals and poachers. Both of us have been asked to look for things for people we didnt know, rings, property stakes, ect...We have both done it.
If I found something and knew who it belonged to or how to find them... Id return it.
PS... when Ive needed the cops or game warden, they have come to my assistance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread