Thoughts on finding wedding rings

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was reading another post tonight about finding a child's ring and how sad it seemed:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/336077-saddest-find-i-ve-ever-made.html

I have found a number of lost wedding and engagement rings over the years and was, on a few occasions, able to find the original owner. But for the most part they were lost by parties unknown. I sold them and the cash was nice. However, it was always a bit sad. Imagine losing something that should be so precious to you. Most of us know how to go and recover something we have lost, but for many it is not an option. Sometimes our finds to carry a note of sadness in the joy of the find.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy someone just thinks there the perfect MDer. Like I said b4 don't act like ur better than someone else bc u wanna u wanna try ro return everything. Let me ask u this have u found a civil war relics?? If so what did u do with them ?
I don't even think about returning "everything" I find.....just items that can be identified as belonging to particular person. I haven't found any Civil War items yet.....not many in my neck of the woods. If I did find one with ties to particular person, I may do a little research to figure out it's history but the owner would be long dead at this point. If it turns out to be stolen or lost and I can determine the owner who lost it, I have no problem returning it. I kinda like the detective work and have no real interest in keeping relics like that. I understand others feel differently about it and that's fine. I believe in finders keepers also but I also have compassion for someone who lost something that means a lot to them and enjoy seeing the look on their face when you hand them something they thought was lost forever. Unless you've experienced that, it's hard to explain or put a dollar value on it. If they offer a reward, I have no problem accepting it but I would never ask for one. Everyone has to follow their own conscience and live with their decision. Naturally, I think my way is the best or I would do it differently, just as you do.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even think about returning "everything" I find.....just items that can be identified as belonging to particular person. I haven't found any Civil War items yet.....not many in my neck of the woods. If I did find one with ties to particular person, I may do a little research to figure out it's history but the owner would be long dead at this point. If it turns out to be stolen or lost and I can determine the owner who lost it, I have no problem returning it. I kinda like the detective work and have no real interest in keeping relics like that. I understand others feel differently about it and that's fine. I believe in finders keepers also but I also have compassion for someone who lost something that means a lot to them and enjoy seeing the look on their face when you hand them something they thought was lost forever. Unless you've experienced that, it's hard to explain or put a dollar value on it. If they offer a reward, I have no problem accepting it but I would never ask for one. Everyone has to follow their own conscience and live with their decision. Naturally, I think my way is the best or I would do it differently, just as you do.

I sleep very well at night with how I metal detect

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He's talking about me Griz...& was nothing you said or did wrong...I simply stated my opinion...& got bit by a vulcher...& ....eh....I'm no stranger to a time out....I kinda like em..... ,) !!!!

Thank you. I am sure the time-out was well earned and worth every minute. Sometimes, well, you just gotta!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
... iCandy .. You are right there the only way the authorities would assist you would be to ...Take your equipment from you.... take your finds away from you.. lock you up....... And in real desperate times they would tell you to go to ..he!!.......

Yes Kep....so very true this is. I can speak from experience here!! Now here is a ?....when you bought a detector...did you buy it knowing that everything you found with it belonged to someone other than you before YOU found it??? A relic could be just as or more important as a ring to someone. I think a true detectorist would tell you that...they didn't buy their detector to recover someone else's hopes & dreams.....but for the sheer purpose of the excitement & thrill of finding something themselves...the time & effort it took...$ spent on the detector & gear...& so on. Let's just be honest here. And as Keppy said....when you involve authorities....you're only inviting trouble!!! There's no reason AT ALL to involve them just because they have a title & carry a badge!! They don't have the same mind set as a detectorist...& to them...another day another dollar. So if you want to rob yourself...be my guest....but I can promise you right now...they won't give you a second thought...when all done & over!!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
Yes Kep....so very true this is. I can speak from experience here!! Now here is a ?....when you bought a detector...did you buy it knowing that everything you found with it belonged to someone other than you before YOU found it??? A relic could be just as or more important as a ring to someone. I think a true detectorist would tell you that...they didn't buy their detector to recover someone else's hopes & dreams.....but for the sheer purpose of the excitement & thrill of finding something themselves...the time & effort it took...$ spent on the detector & gear...& so on. Let's just be honest here. And as Keppy said....when you involve authorities....you're only inviting trouble!!! There's no reason AT ALL to involve them just because they have a title & carry a badge!! They don't have the same mind set as a detectorist...& to them...another day another dollar. So if you want to rob yourself...be my guest....but I can promise you right now...they won't give you a second thought...when all done & over!!!!

LOL!!!! Indeed!!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GETTEM TIGER!!!! LMAO!!!! But do you realllllly think those authorities would assist you in a desperate time??? C'mon...we all know the
answer to that!!! But whatever makes your fountain trickle (giggling)!!!!!

If you would take the time to read the whole thread in order 1,2,3 etc instead of jumping in on one post you will see I was quoting TreasureNet - Ethics because another poster also did not read the entire post.Thus the quote. :lightbulb:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you would take the time to read the whole thread in order 1,2,3 etc instead of jumping in on one post you will see I was quoting TreasureNet - Ethics because another poster also did not read the entire post.Thus the quote. :lightbulb:

I'm guessin u mean me and once again I dnt really care. I'm not out to benefit anyone but me in this hobby.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains said:

What makes you think I didn't read those? "When asked"!!!! Perhaps your the 1 jumping to conclusions!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
What makes you think I didn't read those? "When asked"!!!! Perhaps your the 1 jumping to conclusions!!!

Why are you picking on me??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you picking on me??
ICandy, please obey our rules, do not insult members and you will have no problem, no one is picking on you, you were insulting members, please do insult members.................

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
ICandy, please obey our rules, do not insult members and you will have no problem, no one is picking on you, you were insulting members, please do insult members.................

SIR YES SIR!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
OMG ...iCandy what happened to you ..... You have :laughing9: gained weight and dyed & cut your hair......

I made the mistake of stocking on twinkies & ding dongs before wonder bread went Bankrupt LMAOOOOO!!!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everybody I know in this hobby, I started detecting to find what I consider "treasure". Finding it is just one part of the fun for me. Next you have to do something with it. In my case, I didn't want to keep relics on a shelf or clad in a jar so I sell, spend, or scrap those. Old coins and jewelry I keep or give to friends or family members because that is what I want to do with them. Owner identifiable items are less than 1% of my finds but tend to be my more valuable finds. Turning them over to any governmental agency is not an option I choose to do because they would only screw it up like the rest of the things they run. Finding the owner can be a rewarding or disappointing experience....admittedly a crap shoot, but looking back over the several decades I've done this, the good way outnumber the bad....both financially and mentally. There is no reason you can't have fun finding treasure and making someone else's day too. Just making the hock shop guy happy doesn't do it for me whether I get paid more there, or not. I don't need the money bad enough that I want to squeeze every dime out of a hobby that's supposed to be fun. Doing it just for the money is too much like a bad job.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Keppy... Some reason the Gold I find never has any names....

Good story here Steve White..Good Man, returned Super Bowl Ring, could have sold it for 10g..Went to major trouble to return it...got a hand shake from a NY Gaints player, then player hopped back in his car and took off.....end of story. Steve is Better man then me......

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...-beach-returned-player-revealed-new-pics.html

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Keppy... Some reason the Gold I find never has any names....

Good story here Steve White..Good Man, returned Super Bowl Ring, could have sold it for 10g..Went to major trouble to return it...got a hand shake from a NY Gaints player, then player hopped back in his car and took off.....end of story. Steve is Better man then me......

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...-beach-returned-player-revealed-new-pics.html
That is what happens you spend your time and money to return something....... And they are a$$ holes.......... For me to return something just so i can get a pat on the back and a good boy ....... Or i break my arm patting myself on the back ...so every one can see what a nice person i am...............For me it will never happen......... To me the name of the game is.." Finders Keepers ".........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread