To coil or not to coil? That is the question.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have thought if it were a danger, FTP wouldn't have made the plugs the same (or the way the pins line up). On another forum, Dave J (FTP engineer) said that they (6.6) work on the Pro line, but not as good as the 7.69 coils do.

Here's what another member said about the 4":

The actual definition of "works" can be interpreted in a few ways.
I have 3 of the 4" push in coils. None will work properly on my Land Ranger Pro. I have direct word from a person who works at First Texas that they do not have a 4" coil that is compatible.
Not working properly and not working at all are 2 different things. These coils will make the proper sounds and indicate the correct numbers, but will only get about 2.5 inches of depth.

And Dave J said this about the different freqs:

Don't worry about the frequency thing, that's stone age urban mythology.

I'm not vouching for the aftermarket coil (we didn't make it) but just trying to dispel the frequency myth. The "Greek/Fratbros" series DD searchcoils are what's used on the 19 kHz GB/G2/F19 machines, and we're also using them at 3 kHz on some engineering lab projects..

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good then. I will try swapping the 8 inch stock coils and see what the results are then....quick air tests in my garage. When I order the 4 inch I will try on both as well.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I hear a loud BOOM from the West, then I'll know it didn't work.:laughing9:

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I hear a loud BOOM from the West, then I'll know it didn't work.:laughing9:

Still alive!

Traded out the 8 inch coils between the LSP and SS2 and (drumroll)...................................it did not work well.

While the plug-ins worked perfect...the SS2 would not accept the LSP's coil at all and just beeped crazy and actually reset itself every 10 seconds or so. Could not get it to calm down no matter what setting (AM/Disc/Notch/Auto-Notch) or sensitivity. Tried turning it on with sensitivity knob not moved after that...still went bonkers.

The LSP however did accept the SS2 coil and did not freak out. However, it reads a quarter as $1 and drops off entirely past 4 inches....so loses 50-60% of its depth basically.

So although they look to be exactly the same 8 inch concentric coil on the outside....they definitely are not the same on the inside.

When the 4 inch coil for the SS2 arrives I will try it on the LSP and update here.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good test, Hunter. Now I'm convinced for sure that the 6.6 khz coils are a waste of time for me. It must have something to do with the digital processor. The SSII has the older analog that uses a higher amount of milliamps, hence the 2 9v batteries. The digital doesn't need but one (Teks, Pros) so the coil windings are thinner wires and the resistance is tuned higher or lower. That would explain the higher cost of Pro coils, to perfectly match the digital processor.

Thanks for the test and update. I'm sure many will benefit from it's information.

Dan

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I would not bother with any of the older 6.6khz coils on it either. In some perfect world "perhaps" the LRP or QDP would show better performance since they have better processors? IDK...

I know the LSP lost 50/60% depth and lost ID capabilities. All I tested was a quarter and probably should have tested some other coins for ID sake....but after seeing a 4 inch max air depth, I stopped there.

Wife green lighted ordering the 4 inch coil this weekend and will of course test it on the LSP for...scientific purposes lol...but I am not expecting anything different than what the 8 inch swap taught us.

For the price Fisher wants for the Pro coils....I would probably just grab a NEL or CORS with the push-in custom made or with an adapter.

EDIT: I just noticed on the SS2 box that is says "Micro-processor Controlled Electronics"....not sure if that just means the LCD panel or what. I always thought of it as an analog machine....and still do. Just something of interest I noted on the box.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it has knobs, it's hybrid. Analog and digital, like my F5 was.

I sent an Email yesterday to NEL about the adapters. Waiting for a response. Buying the coils from a US distributor is a lot less expensive.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran across a distributor a few days ago that had a drop down box for their Nel and Cors coils that said "Push in" and "Screw-On"....cannot for the life of me find the link in my history or remember the name.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold Diggers is the NEL distributor in the US. Under Fisher, there is an option for a plug in as a special order for F5 which should work. I called them months ago and they weren't very attentive on having to order one, and said it took 3-4 weeks to get one.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered the BH 4 inch from Amazon for $30...will be here Tuesday for testing. I'll have the video review (with tests on both SS2 and LSP) up that evening as long as they don't pull a 7pm drop off.

Super stoked!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought of something. The Bounty Hunter Platinum and Land Ranger Pro both run on the same frequency and I have seen a 5 inch DD coil listed for the Platinum. Any idea if it would work on the Land Ranger? In my air tests with the 4 inch gold nugget coil I have the range is pretty limited in air tests particularly with gold items. (It always worked really well in my 505 for silver or copper stuff.) The one I saw listed was the NEL SHARP 5" DD coil. If anyone happens to have one of these I liked to know if it works and what the air test for it would be. So far in my air tests none of the older bounty hunter coils I have (8, 10, 4 or 7 inch coils) have anywhere near the sensitivity or depth of the Factory DD coil.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you check the NEL Sharp closer, it has a screw on connector even though it is listed for the Gold/Platinum. This from a dealer site. Make sure before you order. I tried already by contacting dealers.

[h=2]Additional Information[/h]
Compatible Metal Detector
  • Omega, Gamma, Delta, Alpha, G-2, Gold Bug, F5 Bounty Hunter Gold, Bounty Hunter Platinum
Water ProtectionSearch Coil is Completely Waterproof
Coil Size5″
Coil ShapeRound
Coil WindingsDouble-D (DD)
ManufacturerNEL Coils
Coil FamilyNEL Sharp
Warranty2 Years
ConnectorScrew-On Connector

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything I see says it has a push in connector. Here is a 5" listed for the gold and platinum series. https://www.metaldetector.com/bount...7c5COIL_d_F5&gclid=CPKh-p6r7cgCFQuGaQode70Fvw

That is not the NEL Sharp....

The SKU for that coil in the link is the 5COIL-F5 that "I think" is for the F5....http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/detector-searchcoils.htm

I am guessing it works fine with the Gold/Plat/Titanium so md.com is selling it for those and saying it is compatible? I'm not sure....

The 5 inch coil for the Gold/Plat/Titanium is called the 5COIL-TEKB according to the BH chart.....BOUNTY HUNTER COIL TABLE

Both are push-in style and...from what I understand....both "should work" according to the internets.

None of the old 6.6khz coils will give decent performance on the newer Pro series or the Gold/Plat/Tita series.

Last edited:

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought the 4" SNIPER coil for my BH 3300 a couple of years ago. I love it! Bought an AT PRO about a year ago and have found more with the
BH than the AT PRO. Of course I haven't put as many hours on the AT as I have with the BH. But the 4" coil made a world of difference on the BH3300'

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everything I see says it has a push in connector. Here is a 5" listed for the gold and platinum series. https://www.metaldetector.com/bount...7c5COIL_d_F5&gclid=CPKh-p6r7cgCFQuGaQode70Fvw

I thought you were talking of the NEL 5". Yes, the 5COIL-F5 you link to is the old F5 coils when they were plug in. They work on the LRP/QDP/LSP as well. Made by FT.

Now check this out from the same site:

http://www.metaldetector.com/first-texas-5-dd-search-coil

Same exact coil, but called a 5COIL-tekB, meaning made for the early Alpha/Delta before they went screw on (like the F5). Same coil, more money.

In all fairness to the site, the F5 coil is "on sale" over the tekB which lists the same.

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to know what performance you could get out of one. My 4 inch nugget coil will get 3 to 4 inches air testing on my Land Ranger Pro. Maybe I will come across a used one cheap one day.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPS man dropped off the 4 inch coil a couple hours ago. I knew it would be small but for some reason it surprised me. Almost comical how small it is.....

No video tonight but I will get one up tomorrow showing air tests and a nail board test. Hopefully digs with it on Wed/Thurs as well.

Did some very quick air tests....

The Lone Star Pro was first.....

Quarter = 4
Nickel = 4
Zinc Penny = 4
Copper Penny = 4
Dime = 4
Steel Crosman BB = Nothing

As you can see the LSP hits a wall at 4 inches on all coins...just like when I swapped the 8 inch coils. 4 inches then nada. Accuracy on ID was 100% unlike the 8 inch swap where the 25C showed up as 1$.

The Sharp Shooter 2 was next.....

Quarter = 6
Nickel = 6
Zinc Penny = 6
Copper Penny = 5.5
Dime = 5
Steel Crosman BB = 4 inches in AM mode....will not hit at all in disc/notch modes.

It was dead on with the ID to about 5 to 5.5 then gets wobbly that last half inch. I did not notice any drop in depth with disc or notch setting cranked up. What you see is what you get no matter the settings.

More to come with a video review tomorrow and lives digs the following days. Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunter, that was an awesome video. You have the knack for good informative video's. That video is the best I have ever seen on the 4" coil and shows the true power of the SSII and 4" combo.

BH will probably benefit with this video on their site as well. Burn 'em up, pal.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread