Treasure Clue, can you help?

patchythepirate

Mar 8, 2005
thanks Blackbeard,
not sure it helps at this point but when I'm engrossed in it again I'll think on that. I forgot to mention the snail isn't really using sign language although I've seen some in the book for instance one of the fairies hands...I think it was the girl in the "D" her hand forms an "A". But of course if you flip the pages the snail moves like a cartoon...but he's pointing at something, the box?
Also thought he might be using braile on the mushrooms on page 100 but I don't know any braile.
I'm almost positive I know the location of one of the pieces but since I'm in Michigan and the place I think it is, is across the U.S. I don't know if I want to gamble a plane ticket and a couple days off work on a hunch. I'll probably kick myself if I don't go and it's there.
Well I gotta get to bed....gotta work in the morning.
Patchy night y'all

A

ashleyc

just wanted to say that i've gone from hearing about the book and thinking, "what a cute idea! my son and i will do this together, and we're broke, so if we figure it out that will be great!" to neurotically ripping apart the book, tracing things, rererererereading everyhing, feeding the kids cereal for every meal, and ignoring all of my son's ideas-- when the whole thing was supposed to be about him in the first place. he probably solved it and i blew him off....

G

gman

Hello zipcode people. I believe I have located the parks that contain 7 of the tokens and have converted that to zip codes. I did not however approach this from the same angel as the people that have found zipcodes in the clues. I would like to find anyone that feels they have the zip codes and compare that with the zip codes corresponding to the locations I have identified. Obviously either one of us could just be fishing for zip codes so I propose we send each other 5 zips for the state we are looking at and we can compare those with what we have, to see if we think we are on the same path. If so at that point we could decide to compare notes or go it alone with more confidence that we are on the right path. I have identified the following states as having tokens.
California...2 locations
Arizona...1 location
Washington...1 location
Soth Dakota...1 location
Tennesse...1 Location
New Jersey...1 Location

A

Ashlynnsmommy

With all of the trees and forests, etc. That are in California and Washington areas that would make perfect sense if they are all hidden in forests that is. ??? Just a thought?!?

Kris

G

gman

Duke_Fan
It is Washington State that I speak of. I didn't think originally that one would be located that far Northwest but the clues I have found point to a specific park in the State of Washington. I may take you up on the offer once I pinpoint within the Park where the token is located. Of course we would have to split the treasure ;D

G

gman

Pancho,
I agree that one is here in Texas but I think we differ on the location. You are searching the southern to mid portion of the state while I am searching the North Texas area. Dallas area is still one days drive to Brownsville from a mileage standpoint and I don't think MS takes into consideration traffic. The NJ location I have found covers the Northeastern most points of US. Essentialy, I have 5 tokens left to cover the midwest and Southeast. One I am convinced is in Southern Georgia or Northern Florida so that leaves 4 tokens to cover the midwest which is very possible. Anyway I have not given any specifics on the locations as I have found them through clues in the Text and not through numbers in the pictures. That is why I am looking to compare notes with someone that has taken a different route to find the zip codes.

A

ashleyc

i haven't been focusing on zip codes at all-- i was just wondering if you'd be willing to say WHY you're focusing on them? because of the poem, the 5 to a side, or something else??

A

Ashlynnsmommy

About the Tx theory I agree totally but ... I have a different idea of where in Tx than both of you ;) So we shall see ... hope one of us are correct. Even if it isnt me. ;D Best of luck to everyone. And I also agree that all I can make out is 6 legs on page 22.

Happy Hunting,
Kris

A

ashleyc

thanks, pancho. i've been focusing on the caesar's box and what to put in it (zac put things into the box and it revealed the locations to him).

P

pancho_semplice

Hmmm, another thought to muddy the waters

gman, you said somewher in Washington state. Without knowing the location, can you at least tell me if it is close to Mt. St. Helens? If that is the case, I think that would further dispute the probability of the token being there.

I would bet that MS did not place any of the tokens in places where dramatic changes in the environment were possible. One you risk peoples lives, and two, you have no real control over the tokens staying in their 'sanctuaries'.

I'm still really trying to get past what I call the "native factor". Is someone from the genral area where a token resides going to be able to ID the spot right on? I can't really decide whether he threw them across the land randomly, or if he gave special consideration to the actual sanctuaries. The argument for both is strong, but I guess we'll never find out until a token has been found!

isitsaturdayyet

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2005
Ashleyc,

I just read your post#689 and 'belly laughed' at work. ?Thanks! ?I also got this book for the same reason (fun thing to do with my son), and have been blown off, at least where one location is concerned. ?I told him I thought I had it now . . .again . . and he refused to "go back to that place . . . again". ?ha ha ?. . .So we had cereal for dinner and I'm going tonight after his dad picks him up. ? That cereal line was too funny!

By the way, thanks to everyone for sharing so many ideas, it really helped fill some gaping holes and kept me from giving up. ?I initially breezed through the posts due to time constraints with work and kids, but after slowing down and reading them again with the book in my lap(what's left of it), there are some very interesting points being made. ?I was thinking I was crazy, but there is comfort in not being the only one. ?

I sent an email to the official website asking for clarification on 'public'. Walk-in anytime for free, or if privately held and open to the public for a nominal fee was still considered public. ?I will share that when I hear from them.

I also enjoyed the mental picture of the guy in pajamas playing twister with the pages praying someone would find the tokens soon! :D

Melissa

A

ashleyc

melissa- glad someone else is just as obsessed!

there's another site at www.12gems.com they also seem to be focusing on zip codes, and one of them claims to have solved it using computer geek thinking or something-- says it's a four part matrix. seems to be stepping away from the "family" solving idea-- where anyone can get it and kids can be involved. someone else claims a token was recovered in the southwest. i just skimmed their info, but maybe worth checking out.

Gemini

Feb 11, 2005
Hmmmm. I am yet the third person from Texas (Dallas area?) who is seriously on the hunt. My list is not far off from Gman's but not quite the same. I also am not using zip codes at all but the text and visuals. I have come up with:

Alabama - - 2
California-- 2
Colorado-- 1
Florida-- 1
Idaho- 1
Michigan-- 1
Oregon-- 1
Texas-- 1
Utah-- 1
Virginia-- 1
Wyoming-- 1

Problem is, I know EXACTLY where I think they are, but cannot get away to look. Maybe this weekend. The only problem with the above list is it makes for a long day's drive for people in the northeast--however northern Virginia is the location of that one so... that's about 14 hours from middle of Maine.

I'm not saying zip codes don't matter--they may be additional clues. But I have used text and pictures in the book and have found precise locations on maps that bear out my theory in about 8-9 of the above (still working on the other 4). Gman our lists are similar in some respects-- want to share where in California or northern Florida in general you're thinking so we can see if we might be on the same track?

G

gman

Gemini,
I'll throw out one of my California locations just to see if we are on the same path. ?If so I would think we really need to collaborate. ?I think one of the locations in Californai is the Santa Monica National Recreation Area. ?I have only been to California once and that was to the Sacramento area so I am certain previous knowledge did not steer me towards this. ?I completely arrived at this location through clues in the text.

Let me know if that matches with yours Gemini, if not let me know one of your California locations and I will tell you if it matches my other location.

Pancho,
My Washington location is not Mt St. Helen. ?I agree with you that MS would not put it in a location that could possibly be disrupted by an eruption and place people in danger.

P

pancho_semplice

Gemini,

Your list is missing two tokens, so the last two locations would most certainly be further north. I would be interested to know where that Texas location is. Particularly if it is in Houston. I have been wondering if there was anything to MS's visit to Houston last month, particularly considering he visited the Houston Museum of Natural Science the same day the GOLD! exhibit opened! ;)

Plus, Hermann Park, home of the HMNS, is a PERFECT place to hide a token, particularly when you consider there is an "overlook" near the lake. I've searched the area once, but have yet to go back for a second look after many other discoveries.

Gemini

Feb 11, 2005
Looks like we are on different tracks. Santa Monica Wildlife is not one of the areas on my list, although a location not real far from Sacrmaento is. My other was in a location north and east of L.A. (?)

Pancho: Are there 15 tokens? I thought there were just 13, and my numbers add up to that, if you recount. And Houston is not the Texas location I am considering, although the idea of Stadther returning to the scene of the "crime" is .

Your comment about the "Gold" exhibit is telling, however. Knowing nothing about the locations I seemed to think might harbor a token, my closer inspection of them has revealed that they have some name that is deeply connected to either one of the major themes of the book, or the visual I was using to pinpoint the location. In 8-9 instances?Either amazing coincidence...or...?

Gemini

P

pancho_semplice

My bad, didn't add the two in Alabama and California. Sounds like you've done some good work, however, it would appear that you, gman and myself are all on different paths to find the tokens. I wish one of us would hurry up and find one so we could know who is on right! ;)

A

ashleyc

i wish you guys would, too! i need to quit thinking about this. i really want it to be someone from this site....

G

gman

Gemini,
We still may be on the same track with your other California location. You said it is somewhat close to Sacramento. Is your other location near Santa Cruz. I feel very confident on this one and believe I know the Jewel associated with it. Let me know if we are on the same page on this one.

Gemini

Feb 11, 2005
Nope--not Santa Cruz. But I'll bet you find the token before I do, given your certainty. Although the one near Sacramento is one of the ones I am also most sure about.

The fact that we are all so sure...but looking in different locations...does not bode that well for us does it. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread