Treasure Set in Stone UPDATED MACRO PIC CLOSEUPS AND X-RAY PHOTOS

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
[size=12pt]LOOK TO PAGE TWO FOR THE LATEST AND THE NEW MACRO PICS!!!!!!! [/size] :thumbsup:

Gambling in Atlantic City is a thing of the past. You'll make out better on the shoreline. I run with a Garrett Ace 250 and came back with this and a few pieces that I think are bayonets, various sand pennies and the mouth of an 1800's amber brown whiskey bottle. It stormed with thunder and lightning the night before, and the surf was really pounding. The beach opened at 6AM and out I went. I turned the stone over and there it was, a chain and a shiny silver coin sticking right out at me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and after the shock wore off, you should have heard me whooping it up. I put it in my bag with the shells I had been collecting prior. I didn't care at that point about breaking any of them, to me I don't think I'll ever find anything better. About a minute after I put it in my bag, an ATV cop went by me, and I ecstatically said "Hi" to him. It was probably pretty out of place, but I couldn't help it. I held onto that bag like my life depended on it all the way back to the hotel room, to show my sleeping partner the treasure I had truly found. I wonder how long it takes to embed coins and chains in to sandstone? More than 30 years, I'm sure. :laughing7: We didn't head straight home, we went to a friend of ours that owns a stones and gems shop. He'd never seen anything like this before. He told us that as is, we are looking at a value of at least $400. We plan to get the stone X-rayed at some random dentist's office to see if there may be a pendant or even a gem on the chain and if we're lucky, there may be more coins. There is an indent in the rock underneath the area that the coin is showing that could have held another coin, it is completely round and about the size of a dime. There's alot of MDing that goes on along the shores of Atlantic City and alot of iron content out there, so I bet this stone could possibly have been overlooked by others more than once. I want to get all of the sand removed that is concreted on this coin, but I'm afraid to hurt it in any way. I carefully removed some of the grains of sand with a razor blade and I am sure I didn't scratch it. It is just enough to see that some letters are still present, but not enough to identify them. I refuse to do anything more to it. I trust someone out there can get it clean. The chain located in the top left of the stone in picture one and on my finger in picture two is handmade, the ends of each link are wrapped over the next loop. It is non magnetic, but has been tested for 14 ct gold and dissolved right away at our local jewelry store, so it's more likely to be bronze. A few more links are showing on the other side of the stone from where it hangs out on the other, so most of the chain could be wrapped up inside the stone. I hope to make banner with this one! I live in Central Pennsylvania and I doubt there is anyone around here that could identify this coin as is, it is thinner and smaller than an American Dime.

Update: There have been lots of views, replies and posts for me. Read the whole post to see the progression of IDing this. We will have the Macro pics of the coin tomorrow (Thursday, October 7th). We have used Goo Gone and the sink spigot for two days (alot longer tonight than the last). It's is showing a spot in the middle of the coin, when it hadn't before, but not much more. We used aluminum wrapped around the coin with baking soda and hot water for about 5 minutes, it didn't help much. We're hoping to find a dentist to do a water pick trick on the coin, although none of the dentists we have called wanted to even do an X-Ray. We paid $105 for two X-Ray photos at Metzger Animal Hospital in State College (I had volunteered here 12 years ago, in High School. We received a phone call back from the head of the Earth and Mineral Science Building here at Penn State. The head of the Department gave me an e-mail for a lady in the Anthroplogy Department. She has lived in Florida and has worked with shipwrecks. Just waiting to hear back from her now. Thanks for the five coin rating, on the My Best Finds Forum, but to see how this is progressing, it goes to show you, that everyone wants to find treasure, but the time and effort it takes to ID and find it's place in history, takes alot of work and patience. No one sees that in the beginning, then you find something good and you realize. Please, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Treasure 1.jpg
    Treasure 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Treasure 4.jpg
    Treasure 4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Chain_Closeup.JPG
    Chain_Closeup.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,869
  • Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,789
  • Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 4,814
  • Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,794
  • Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 4,862
  • X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,796
  • X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,793
Upvote 0
OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Re: Treasure Set in Stone UPDATED X-RAY PHOTOS

N.J. THer thanks for posting, yes, the chain is similar. Thanks to all who have been thinking this and I'll be doing more research on it. As for looking for the right wreck, your right BigCypress. I should ID the coin first. All this waiting for the Anthropology Lab to contact me leaves me with downtime, and I have nothing but a bugger of a piece and want to get to the bottom of the story. There's only so much I can do, but trying to research the shipwreckage of shore passes the time. It will be awesome if it made it's way to shore from one of them.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep looks that way. I still enjoyed the journey. I would go ahead and pop out the dime at this point and get a picture. Good post.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

N.J.THer said:
Chain - not an exact match but you get the idea. These chains were used for the old overhead tanks handle pulls and in the tanks themselves for the flapper.

images
Great research. Thats the chain. :icon_thumright: A little before my time lol but that could account for the wood.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

No matter what it really is inside there it's a really neat piece!!

Great dig! :hello2:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Michelle - One thing that would really help would be if you could import your photos into PhotoShop or something and add approx dimensions, length, width, height, etc of the conglomerate (or for the various sections) especially for the x-ray photos as it may help in the ID of some of the items inside. Only reference we have right now is the size of the coin which is slightly smaller than a dime. So for example it's tough to gauge the exact length of the bent rod.

Hoping you'll have some macro pics up today too of that coin! It's been a heck of a journey so far!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Erik in NJ said:
Hey Michelle - One thing that would really help would be if you could import your photos into PhotoShop or something and add approx dimensions, length, width, height, etc of the conglomerate (or for the various sections) especially for the x-ray photos as it may help in the ID of some of the items inside. Only reference we have right now is the size of the coin which is slightly smaller than a dime. So for example it's tough to gauge the exact length of the bent rod.

Hoping you'll have some macro pics up today too of that coin! It's been a heck of a journey so far!
We do this kind of thing (trying to solve mysteries) all the time over in the "What Is It" forum.
I forget what forum I was in lol. Check it out.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh, Liquid One, just get a sledgehammer and bust that puppy open ;D Just kidding !!! In the words of the late Jerry Garcia, "Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been" We're still here patiently waiting. Hang in there gal.

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Erik, I have a Sony Vaio computer, it's fairly new. Does it come with PhotoShop or is that something I can download from the internet?
I'm so technologically impaired. The guy bailed with macros, never got back to us. He'll be back on Monday, hate leaving you all hanging though, when you all want to solve this as much as I do. Hopefully we can manage the Macros Pics by Monday night, I am so very sorry about it. It bums me out, I want to get the help I can for an ID for the coin, and waiting around to do it, tears me apart. Here are the measurements for the stone. These measurements are in order of big end-Left(with the chain sticking out), middle (to the left of the coin), and little end-Right(to the right of the coin). Width will be at the largest point along the bottom part of the stone (the part that is resting on the table in picture one. Height is taken as the stone sits in picture one, from table top to highest point. Length is measured at the longest point from left to right of the whole stone in picture one. And the circumference completely measures around the stone at the largest areas of Right Middle and Left.
Length 5 1/4"
Height (Left) 2 1/4" (Middle) 1 1/12" (Right) 1 1/4"
Width (Left) 2 1/2" (Middle) 1 1/4" (Right) 1 1/2"
Circumference (Left) 7" (Middle) 4 1/4" (Right) 5 3/4"

The circular part of each chain link/loop is 4/10cm

BigCypress, I know, I check out the what is it forum alot, it's great watching items get identified, and contributing to solving them or just guessing can be alot of fun. What a great Forum.

GGTDM, Thanks for the Quote from Jerry, and thank you for patiently waiting here with me, all of you. And yes, I will hang in here, with all of you. We will see through it to the end...

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Sorry I haven't PMed anyone yet today. I'll send a line to you tomorrow. I was up all night sleuthing and searching, zoomed in on this pic and found a matching chain! Same type of links with the two ends wrapping over the next loop and it looks to be made of the same material too. The chain could be much older than the item and put on as an afterthought. Hard to say. Dated mid century, and the seller of this item on E-bay is in Tom's River, NJ. Not too far from Atlantic City, so it could be more than just a coincidence. Great to find the chain in use for something other than flushing toilets! Will have the macro pics downloaded Monday, the latest, Tuesday. We might just get an ID for the coin by midweek.

Attachments

• Chain match Seller in Tom\'s River NJ  Maker Mid Century.jpg
    Chain match Seller in Tom\'s River NJ Maker Mid Century.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,839
OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

We may never know the true identities of any of the items this stone contains, all of these items probably originated from all over, but regardless, coin identification will happen. I spoke with a gentleman that works with the geochemistry department. I sent him an e-mail so he can see the story, the pictures, the x-rays, the posts within the Today's Finds forum here on TNet. He said that this department should be able to help with our sand concretion problem on the coin. We just may get the ID on this coin we've all been waiting for. Thanks for watching!

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Given the number of toilets out there, my money's on a flapper versus an ebony tiger or the like. This said, the most positive ID thus far is that it's a great conversation piece. Unless the name of a ship is enclosed in that clump, we'll likely never know how it got there or how it got fused to begin with. I'm enjoying picturing lightning strikes and boiler explosions but like most relics, the origin is subject to unending speculation. The ID, however, is inevitable (especially if you take a hammer to the thing!) :laughing7:

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

I won't break it apart, if I did, the conversation piece it would no longer be. I agree the speculating has been fun, and until the wait is over for the ID on a cleaned coin, it was the road I wanted to take with all the posts. These are the thoughts that go through every treasure hunter's mind, when faced with the unknowns of any find. This blog was created to not only show an intriguing piece of what's it, but to prove the point, everyone wants to find treasure, but there's a lot of work that goes into the item, once you get it. Finding the right person and technique to clean the item, identifying and dating the item, and that's what makes this website great. Everyone can go down that road with you.

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1liquigirl said:
I won't break it apart, if I did, the conversation piece it would no longer be. I agree the speculating has been fun, and until the wait is over for the ID on a cleaned coin, it was the road I wanted to take with all the posts. These are the thoughts that go through every treasure hunter's mind, when faced with the unknowns of any find. This blog was created to not only show an intriguing piece of what's it, but to prove the point, everyone wants to find treasure, but there's a lot of work that goes into the item, once you get it. Finding the right person and technique to clean the item, identifying and dating the item, and that's what makes this website great. Everyone can go down that road with you.
Sorry, the hammer thing was a joke. I fall into the "as is" crowd. At least, I think I do. Oh Lord, now I'm torn again. :-\

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I disagree with the lightning and boiler theories. There is no evidence of anything melting. Its most likely been sitting on the shallow ocean floor rusting and these objects accumulated and fused together as the steel corroded like the many other shell/iron/sand conglomerates found at the beach. This one is interesting because it happens to have a silver coin in the mix that appears to be early 20th century. There is also no evidence of shipwreck unless we have wood or something ship related. Im not sure we have wood.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hello 1liquigirl :hello: I've been following this thread of yours for quite a while
now, very interesting stuff. Don't you wish that everything you found got this
much attention and discussion on Tnet! :D

Cheers
Dave

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Off topic - I never realized the google ad at the bottom of the T-Net page is driven off of key words in the post. The ad on this post is for a Toilet Flusher...that is what caught my eye.

Okay - now get back to talking about the find. I'm still sticking to toilet flusher based on the chain and x-ray. I hope I'm wrong and it is something more interesting.

NJ

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Antiquarian said:
Hello 1liquigirl :hello: I've been following this thread of yours for quite a while

Cheers
Dave
???

Pity some of the good finds didn't get this much attention ::)

SS

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

N.J.THer said:
Off topic - I never realized the google ad at the bottom of the T-Net page is driven off of key words in the post. The ad on this post is for a Toilet Flusher...that is what caught my eye.
I didnt notice. interesting...

Attachments

• toilet flusher.jpg
    toilet flusher.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,739
OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

kyphote said:
1liquigirl said:
Sorry, the hammer thing was a joke. I fall into the "as is" crowd. At least, I think I do. Oh Lord, now I'm torn again. :-\

Kyphote, don't be torn, I took it with a grain of salt (or is it sand?) :D My life has gone down the toilet, and I'm trying to fish my way out again. ;D You all have been great!!! Thanks for hanging in here with me, all of you.

allen said:
im still exploring the possibility that lightning struck it and it was all fused together.

Allen, I'm not closing out the possibilities, that's the fun of posting here on TNet. I gotta say there are a few places on the stone that have overlapping material that are black/grey and resemble melting. Tomorrow evening, I will have the macro pics downloaded, and I promise to take a picture of the best example of this.

bigcypresshunter said:
I disagree with the lightning and boiler theories. There is no evidence of anything melting. Its most likely been sitting on the shallow ocean floor rusting and these objects accumulated and fused together as the steel corroded like the many other shell/iron/sand conglomerates found at the beach. This one is interesting because it happens to have a silver coin in the mix that appears to be early 20th century. There is also no evidence of shipwreck unless we have wood or something ship related. Im not sure we have wood.

BigCypress, I'll take a picture of the wood area for you. It might not be, but because you are very good on the what is it forum (the King of it actually, in my eyes :thumbsup: :notworthy:), I'm sure you'll be a help on this issue.

bigcypresshunter said:
N.J.THer said:
I didnt notice. interesting...

N.J.THer, that's great! This thread, just threw us a learning curve.

Silver Searcher said:
Antiquarian said:

Cheers
Dave
???

Pity some of the good finds didn't get this much attention ::)

SS

Dave and Silver Searcher, Thank you for following, that's the whole reason I've been updating you all on what's been going on with this conversation piece, and that is just what this thread has become. I can only wish all of my finds would get this much attention and discussion. I'm truly gratious and am glad to call you all friends. This is what makes this site the best. Tomorrow's coming, and the macro pics will be here, so sorry to keep you all hanging for so long. It is a pity that some of the other finds didn't get this much attention, but this object is a great conversation starter isn't it? If the stone received this much attention, and more to come, then I am lucky to have you all here with me, and to me, that's the best find I could have ever found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread