Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello:
Maggie, Samantha and I just returned from a much needed after camp vacation. We met up with family in Historic Charles Town or known today as, Charleston S.C. This is the old country folks. Even though I packed the etracs and an xterra for Maggie, I only managed 1 short 2 hour hunt. I have misplaced some other finds which I will post at a later date.
Another Minelab Etrac find!

The "Georgius Triumpho" is the only Washington token bearing the date of 1783 that is actually known to have circulated during the Confederation period.

~Of the many Washington copper pieces that are dated in and around this time period, it is theorized that very few were actually minted during this time period. The Georgius Triumpho is one of them that is believed to have been.

Debate exists as to whether the Georgius Triumpho was actually minted in honor of George Washington, or rather if it was minted in honor of George III. Speculations abound, most scholars familiar with this coin believe that it was produced in honor of George Washington. The gate depicted on the reverse has 13 vertical bars. And indeed, these same folks believe that the 4 cirque foils at each corner of the gate represent France, which aided the original colonies to gain independence.
I suppose I could clean the back a little better later. There is a lady standing behind the 13 bars representing freedom.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• PICT0099.JPG
    PICT0099.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,342
  • PICT0100.JPG
    PICT0100.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,357
  • PICT0099.JPG
    PICT0099.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,262
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: US Pre-Federal - 1783 Georgius Triumpho Copper

Nice one Mike. Have never seen one of those before. :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad you had a nice visit .That largie is a new one for me ..Georgius Triumpho :icon_scratch: :read2: 8) CMD

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
Glad you had a nice visit .That largie is a new one for me ..Georgius Triumpho :icon_scratch: :read2: 8) CMD
Thanks!

The "Georgius Triumpho" is the only Washington token bearing the date of 1783 that is actually known to have circulated during the Confederation period. All other Washington tokens bearing the 1783 date, which is the date of the Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War, are now known to be commemorative tokens produced during the Nineteenth century.

Read more here.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/WASHTriumpho.intro.html

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Thanks!

The "Georgius Triumpho" is the only Washington token bearing the date of 1783 that is actually known to have circulated during the Confederation period. All other Washington tokens bearing the 1783 date, which is the date of the Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War, are now known to be commemorative tokens produced during the Nineteenth century.

Read more here.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/WASHTriumpho.intro.html
Thanks for the link 4-H , thats interesting ..and one was possibly overstruck to become a "Jersey copper" in 1787 ??? Maris 73 -aa:icon_scratch: , a great token . Learn something new everyday on TN 8) Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's amazing Mike. I'll nominate for BANNER too because I did not even realize that coin existed much less the history involved. Great Find, Quindy.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
That's amazing Mike. I'll nominate for BANNER too because I did not even realize that coin existed much less the history involved. Great Find, Quindy.
Thanks Quindy.
A little history behind this little token eh?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4-H said:
VOL1266-X said:
Thanks Quindy.
A little history behind this little token eh?
Great American Historical artifact Mike. I bet you could hold the number recovered in Tennessee in the palm of your hand (if any have ever been dug at all). If Dman found a token like that, I'd never get him to shut up. HH, Quindy.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's awesome! wow! I never seen one before ??? :icon_thumleft:

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010
real nice is this similar? tell me what you think

Attachments

• MVC-013S (2).jpg
    MVC-013S (2).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,136

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
Great find Mike, hope you all had a great time, thats a super coin/token.....you get my vote buddy!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread