Vein of silver quarters in NorCal I cant get

Teknowaffle

May 9, 2011
Vein of silver quarters in NorCal I can't get

So I was at my local Safeway, and they have those automatic coin dispensers, where if you get your change, it comes out of one of those hoppers.

I usually bag my own groceries, and I looked at the dispenser, and I saw a silver rim near the top of the stack. I asked the manager if I could exchange it as I was a collector, and so on. Shot down. Then I noticed that the other hoppers at other lines had silver quarters in them. I counted 8 so far at three checkstands. I have only found 4 or 5 in the wild before in my life.

It is aggravating to say the least. I get 75 cents cash back each time to try and get them, but I haven't been lucky, and unfortunately I am leaving the country for good in a couple of days.

So if you are in the Aptos California area, and in the Safeway, get cashback in the amount of $X.75, and hope for the best, or wait and hopefully they will end up in a roll again, somewhere out there.

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Re: Vein of silver quarters in NorCal I can't get

Too bad we couldn't organize a flash-mob to milk those coin dispensers.

Keep on Rollin' !

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They could be canadians also, the rims look silver. Or can you actually see that they are us coins, and still tell that the rim is silver?

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

how come you are leaving the country for good?

OP
OP
Teknowaffle

Teknowaffle

May 9, 2011

timbobwey said:
They could be canadians also, the rims look silver. Or can you actually see that they are us coins, and still tell that the rim is silver?

Canadians are slightly thinner. I have been had by them, and have learned the difference in size/wear on the reeding. You can just tell that these coins are American and have been around since the 1950s at least. Plus, that many in a single non bank location? There must have been someone who found a roll or two, dumped it, and got their ten bucks. The armored service that supports the local credit union with a coin counter also serves Safeway, so I imagine the coins came full circle.

@ ckrakowski
My wife is Swedish, and I get free schooling there, and a job opportunity. Can't beat that. I will miss it because there is no silver really to look for there. I will follow here, and enjoy all of your finds.

I can't say forever now that I have said it.

@ piledriver:
We should. Would totally be worth it.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011

Have a good stay TW,

Will be looking for you when you get back.

We'll still be Rollin' !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread