🥇 BANNER What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got permission for a new colonial site that I've had my eye on for some time. No, this is not the holy grail site I referred to in my last post, but the way it turned out it might as well have been. As I was driving down the lane approaching the house a beautiful bald eagle flew directly in front of my truck so things were starting out right. Then the first signal I got when I walked out in the field was a NY cuff button that fell apart in my hand, but that was still a good sign. After that I wandered around for a bit without finding much, then ventured to another part of the property where I found a musketball, then a 3-ringer and an eagle button not long after. So I decided to hunker down in that spot for a while. As I usually do at colonial sites I dig all non-ferrous targets as many of the tombacs, other small buttons, buckle pieces, etc, often come in quite low on the conductivity scale. As a result I end up digging loads of lead buck shot which I was certainly doing yesterday. I got another one of those hits, maybe just a tad higher on the scale of my F75, and it was a very consistent 27. I knew it was very shallow so I stuck my shovel in at a low angle, then flipped the 2-inch scraping upside down. Immediately I saw a beautiful gold coin staring back at me. I was lucky I didn't hit it with the shovel. I eventually had the nerve to actually touch it, and it turned out to be a gorgeous 1852 one dollar gold piece. I was stunned to say the least. Took me a while to get my wits about myself, then I started hunting the same area a little more slowly. I think I dug one more bullet, then got another nice deep sounding bullet signal. Dug a fairly deep hole (12") and the target was still in the bottom. Finally I got it out and was looking at the back of what I thought was a large pewter spoon. But it was quite heavy. I flipped it over and started scraping the wet dirt out with my fingers when that magical "US" started to appear and I realized I had just unearthed my first US boxplate complete with lead backing. What a hunt this was turning out to be! Later in the day I found a nice piece of cut silver which completed the trifecta. I also dug a nice assortment of other colonial and CW relics including a colonial hoe I pulled from a trash pit. When I was cleaning the finds this afternoon I noticed that what I thought was another beat up NY button turned out to be a Mass coat, also a first for me. And to top things off I thought I saw some writing around the edge of one of the large flat buttons, and after putting it in a warm hydrogen peroxide bath for a while I could see the word "Carolus" so I knew I had dug a spanish colonial copper. Anyway, it was an incredible day that I won't soon forget. This is probably my best hunt ever aside from the 2 days I found the twin hammered silver caches 4 years ago. HH to all!

Attachments

• 031712b.JPG
    031712b.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 4,031
  • 031712c.JPG
    031712c.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,344
  • 031712d.JPG
    031712d.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 031712e.JPG
    031712e.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 3,294
  • 031712f.JPG
    031712f.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 031712g.JPG
    031712g.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712a.JPG
    031712a.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 4,021
  • 031712k.JPG
    031712k.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,423
  • 031712j.JPG
    031712j.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,332
  • 031712i.JPG
    031712i.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 3,343
  • 031712h.JPG
    031712h.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 3,323
Upvote 10

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA) said:
Steve in PA said:
Bill, whenever I see one of your posts, I go right to it because I know it's gonna be good. More often than not it's exceptional :headbang: Like today :laughing7:

I may have to follow you around during DIV XXI later this week :icon_pirat:

Thanks Steve, but you may want to reconsider following me around as I may lead you astray as I try to learn this darn GPX-5000.

Ditto what Steve said..... :thumbsup:

But wait till you take the GPX back to that site, it may just blow you away with what you missed. :)

Its not a hard machine to run, the first time out with mine i dug a dozen bullets and loads of brass Spencer casings with only about 5 minutes of training from my dealer... :) If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

............Sweet Little Lady.........

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt, congrats on banner!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your post and pictures made my heart go thumpitythump! Ohhh, what a day! Congratulations and thank you for sharing with us your finds.............63bkpkr

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GOLD and CW Relics!!! Woooooooo Hoooooooo! Way to go! Congratulations on a well deserved BANNER day! :thumbsup: Breezie

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Colonial Silver, a Mid 19th Century American Gold Coin, and a Civil War Box Plate - it really does not get much better than that! Congrats on the Banner!

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other

Dang...Now That's a Nice Hunt! Congrats on all the good finds. Any single one of those would be huge in my book!

Keep it Up!!!

MJ

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice awsome holy smokes wow :o :notworthy:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The broad sweep across the board of stellar finds is amazing: Civil War, Gold Coin, and First Rate Colonial finds.

Certainly a banner day. Looks like you might want to stay in that field for a while. :thumbsup:

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

:blob7: :headbang: :hello2: :thumbsup: :wav:
Congratulations on finding what would be an awesome season for me in one hunt. That gold coin is a beauty!

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

well deserved! you put your time in and work hard! looks like there is still mint luster on that gold coin :thumbsup:

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

what a hunt ...what a spot!!!! congrats!!!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Man Bill did you have a golden horse shoe strapped to your back before you started detecting! All of the stuff we all hope to find bundled in a single hunt! Beautiful :notworthy:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super fantastic hunt !! Congrats!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

You should supply drool bibs with your posts....my gosh...what a haul. I would have been flying over a day like that too. Awesome.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is one AWESOME gold coin!! :icon_thumleft:

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice

Attachments

• 11.gif
    11.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 869
  • 11.gif
    11.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 851

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread