🥇 BANNER What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got permission for a new colonial site that I've had my eye on for some time. No, this is not the holy grail site I referred to in my last post, but the way it turned out it might as well have been. As I was driving down the lane approaching the house a beautiful bald eagle flew directly in front of my truck so things were starting out right. Then the first signal I got when I walked out in the field was a NY cuff button that fell apart in my hand, but that was still a good sign. After that I wandered around for a bit without finding much, then ventured to another part of the property where I found a musketball, then a 3-ringer and an eagle button not long after. So I decided to hunker down in that spot for a while. As I usually do at colonial sites I dig all non-ferrous targets as many of the tombacs, other small buttons, buckle pieces, etc, often come in quite low on the conductivity scale. As a result I end up digging loads of lead buck shot which I was certainly doing yesterday. I got another one of those hits, maybe just a tad higher on the scale of my F75, and it was a very consistent 27. I knew it was very shallow so I stuck my shovel in at a low angle, then flipped the 2-inch scraping upside down. Immediately I saw a beautiful gold coin staring back at me. I was lucky I didn't hit it with the shovel. I eventually had the nerve to actually touch it, and it turned out to be a gorgeous 1852 one dollar gold piece. I was stunned to say the least. Took me a while to get my wits about myself, then I started hunting the same area a little more slowly. I think I dug one more bullet, then got another nice deep sounding bullet signal. Dug a fairly deep hole (12") and the target was still in the bottom. Finally I got it out and was looking at the back of what I thought was a large pewter spoon. But it was quite heavy. I flipped it over and started scraping the wet dirt out with my fingers when that magical "US" started to appear and I realized I had just unearthed my first US boxplate complete with lead backing. What a hunt this was turning out to be! Later in the day I found a nice piece of cut silver which completed the trifecta. I also dug a nice assortment of other colonial and CW relics including a colonial hoe I pulled from a trash pit. When I was cleaning the finds this afternoon I noticed that what I thought was another beat up NY button turned out to be a Mass coat, also a first for me. And to top things off I thought I saw some writing around the edge of one of the large flat buttons, and after putting it in a warm hydrogen peroxide bath for a while I could see the word "Carolus" so I knew I had dug a spanish colonial copper. Anyway, it was an incredible day that I won't soon forget. This is probably my best hunt ever aside from the 2 days I found the twin hammered silver caches 4 years ago. HH to all!

Attachments

• 031712b.JPG
    031712b.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 4,031
  • 031712c.JPG
    031712c.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,344
  • 031712d.JPG
    031712d.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 031712e.JPG
    031712e.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 3,294
  • 031712f.JPG
    031712f.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 031712g.JPG
    031712g.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712h.JPG
    031712h.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712i.JPG
    031712i.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 3,343
  • 031712j.JPG
    031712j.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,332
  • 031712k.JPG
    031712k.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,423
  • 031712a.JPG
    031712a.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 4,021
Upvote 10
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

SouthJerseyJim said:
Man Bill did you have a golden horse shoe strapped to your back before you started detecting! All of the stuff we all hope to find bundled in a single hunt! Beautiful :notworthy:

It was lodged somewhere else, but that's OK - it did the trick.

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Wow, what a tremendous assortment of finds!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESSOME HUNT :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just can't get over that coin. The more I look at it, the more I'm amazed at how shallow it was and what great condition it is in :icon_thumright:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes,you win! Best hunt ever!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Outstanding day Bill! Doesn't get much better than that. I'm sure you will be canvasing that site with a fine tooth comb. :icon_thumright:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

big congrats!!!!!! MR TUFF

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill, you have become the "Crusader" of the States! Your finds since you have retired are just getting better and better, hey slow down and save some for future hunts!!!! Great finds Bill, no other words needed! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Bill, you have become the "Crusader" of the States! Your finds since you have retired are just getting better and better, hey slow down and save some for future hunts!!!! Great finds Bill, no other words needed! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Don

Thanks Don, but you will always be the 'Don'. And we all know in Latin or Spanish what that means :D , you are the 'D'.
I'm just a humble want-a-be with an internet connection :hello:

Plus 'Bill' makes me look lucky, which I know is true :thumbsup:

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just awesome!!!
Congrats!!
:icon_thumright:

Joe

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know what all the excitement is about, I thought we all had days like that all the time....NOT

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Amazing is right. Congratulations! Those of us who live and hunt in Virginia are truly blessed. BANNER!

derfel

Feb 6, 2008

wow well done you had a great day :icon_thumleft:

Dougshause1

Feb 20, 2012
Virginia Beach,VA.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000,Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:notworthy: WOWSERS!!!!!!!! Great finds.... Hard to pick a favorite, but the 1 dollar gold wins out. Thanks for the post and great pics. :icon_thumleft:

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome Hunt!!! ... You got my banner vote! :headbang:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unreal ! Bill really, dang man ! Have you played the lottery lately ? Awesome bill just awesome ! :headbang:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

DMN said:
Quite the little spot of gold, Bill. That's a nice and difficult find to make. Hardest thing to find next to a three cent piece.
And, since gold rarely misses the banner, your little dot should do the same. Congrats.

BTW, looks like a nice spot. Keep showing those superb finds.

Thanks for the comments DMN, but I can't understand why you believe a 3 cent piece is harder to find than a gold coin unless maybe you live on the west coast. I have several 3 centers and just found another one yesterday morning that I posted so they're not that uncommon in my area. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what your reasoning is for that. HH ..... Bill

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Fascinating finds!!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread