What do Fed boxes look like?

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
When people say "Fed" boxes they are just talking about boxes they get from the bank of machine wrapped coin.  They're really boxes from armored car companies and generally come in two styles (at least as far as I've seen).  In my area the more common are boxes with paper wrapped coins (wrapped with NE Strings rolls) and rolls that stand upright.  The less common (in my area) are boxes with plastic wrapped coins that are laid on their sides.  In my experience banks that have plastic wrapped coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, small dollars) have half dollar boxes that are half as wide as the first type and twice as tall, coins are stacked two rows high.

I have frequently heard the term "Fed" boxes used at banks as well, or sometimes I hear them say "boxes from our armored car company," "boxes we order", etc.

Personally I prefer getting customer wrapped coin when I can.  I have greater success with that.  If I could find a bank that would sell me bags off their coin counter I'd try that as it seems to have a similar success rate.

Brian

(PS - at least for non-halves my success rate for customer coin is only marginally better, I just get lots more foreign coins which keeps it interesting, and have a better chance of finding grandpa's stash of funny coins that someone just turned in)

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I get 2 kinds of boxes

Brinks uses a small square box 5 x 5 x 2 levels the coins are wrapped in white with Brown stripes on the end and say Brinks on them.
Red neck coin roll hunters enjoy these the most. For they have uses afterward. LOL

Fed boxes in my area are flat and contain rows of 5W x 10L single level. with yellow on white NE Strings rolls.

Mojo

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I get mostly Brinks boxes here. For some reason I thought maybe there were rolls and boxes put out specifically by the Fed. I don't know where I got that idea, but I thought I saw something on here weeks ago about it.

The bank tellers here will often say they get their coins from the Fed when really they mean Brinks, or Loomis or whomever.

Jim

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
Most tellers don't know where they originate from since they order them from their central vaults. The banks I work with refer to them as Fed boxes, because as far as they know, that's where their central vaults get them. As far as I know, the Fed stores their money in large bags, so if it's boxed, its because a private sorting and rolling company has boxed it.

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My boxes look just like these.

Yellow box is from Coin Wrap Inc, and delivered by many armored car companies, such as United Armour.

Attachments

• CWI-Box.jpg
    CWI-Box.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 249

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My Brinks boxes look just like these two. Delivered by Brinks and others.

Attachments

• Brinks-Boxes.jpg
    Brinks-Boxes.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 247

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
The 2 styles I come in contact with in Michigan

Yellow ink is what the banks call Fed. Box
Brown inked rolls from Brinks in this Square box

Mojo

Attachments

• fedbox.jpg
    fedbox.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Brinksbox.jpg
    Brinksbox.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Mojo,

From what I have learned it seems that the flat box with the holes in the top is CWI. The holes are a security feature so the bank personnel can verify that the box is full without breaking it open. I have seen where others here have had good luck with CWI boxes, but the couple I have had here were pretty bad.

I have had the best luck so far with Brinks, but I guess it is all random with respect to what you will find.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions