What hobby do you do in the winter ?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Everything that I have seen, and read about, but never experienced (so what I say is based on that), is the snowbird lived a fairly meager existence just to avoid the snow. I honestly could not leave my childrens and grandchildrens to do this... but I dream of it nonetheless. How pure a life it would be to stave off winter chills by simply moving south and back north again when it gets too hot down there. :icon_thumright:

Well, you could try what I do, that is take off for a month to a pleasant climate area with a cache target on the agenda, but no defined schedule. It peaceful, relief and fun. The true golden years!
Frank five star.png
500MH.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I usually spend the winter tinkering with the motorcycles and I hope this year to complete a vintage bicycle project that I am working on. When it is not to cold to be it the garage that is.

JimK

I do like that blue on the frame and fender of her bike. Frank five star.png

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Painted for several years as a Hobby, every winter there was a line, tanks, frames, fenders, now my winter hobby is Making parts for MOds to the Minelab Excaliburs....and winter water hunting...but not on windy days and when things are just to icey...

79 to 89.jpg

OBN0183.jpg

SNAG-0022 (2).jpg

ment.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a tree bow hunting on my days off. Fill my freezers and a few others. :thumbsup:

100_2060.JPG

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting of course but I like to research old areas where I live and read a lot about the history of this area. I try to get out when ground isn't frozen or snow covered but I live in NW Ohio and sometimes it's impossible to detect.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike I had cut some up for a guy who made knifes. I would like to make a chair haha. Not seen antler wind chimes?

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not so cold here in NC. Still hunt a few spots.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I spent most of 2011, 12, and 13 winters reworking some guns that I bought and some that I already had, but needing some TLC. I'm not a professional gunsmith, so I just do what I can to the guns. Since I'm not set up for 'hot bluing', I just use a cold blue solution. In a few more days, when the cold weather sets in, I will check each gun to see if it needs anything done to it. I've got several .22 rifles, some shotguns, a couple of revolvers, and a .380 pistol. A couple of the shotguns and several of the .22 rifles were in pretty bad shape when I bought them. I'll try to post some pictures of them sometime.

Other than 'tinkering' with guns or some such things, I love to play games on the computer and occasionally strum the guitar a little.

If the snow is falling, I love to just sit with a cup of coffee or hot cocoa and just watch it. I can sit for hours watching the snow fall. Living in Texas almost of my life, I've seen very little snowfall. The first year I lived here, I saw more snow than I had ever seen in my entire lifetime. I'm like a kid when it comes to snow; but there is a difference. A kid likes to play in the snow, building snowmen and having snowball fights. I'm retired, so I don't have to get out in the snow! I don't mind running to the store occasionally, or even standing out in the snow for a few minutes. But, if I was still working outside most of the time, no, I wouldn't like it!

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Woodworking , particularly enjoy building boxes.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first i go to star-bucks and fill my pockets with coffee stirrers, then i visit the art store and pick up some wooden dowels, some thread, wood stain, sand paper, wood glue, paint sets. ... 4 feet of snow and a creative mind can create quite a cool model, this spanish galleon only took 3 months to build last winter. the internet has all the pictures you need for ideas. this model measures about a foot and 1/2 long and a foot and 1/2 high.

Attachments

• 100_3411.JPG
    100_3411.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_3412.JPG
    100_3412.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_3413.JPG
    100_3413.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_3414.JPG
    100_3414.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 55

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prolab69, that's a great looking galleon! I haven't the patience for some of small intricacies to do something like this! But, I really enjoy seeing the finished product of someone else that has that kind of patience. Thanks.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first i go to star-bucks and fill my pockets with coffee stirrers, then i visit the art store and pick up some wooden dowels, some thread, wood stain, sand paper, wood glue, paint sets. ... 4 feet of snow and a creative mind can create quite a cool model, this spanish galleon only took 3 months to build last winter. the internet has all the pictures you need for ideas. this model measures about a foot and 1/2 long and a foot and 1/2 high.
wow that looks great! You have a great talent. Good looking galleon.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep these hands busy....I paint ceramics, I diddle in oil painting, now trying gouache painting, I do different types of crafts to make for our house/ and make for others, I crochet, I love to sew clothes, I quilt, I sew house stuff, I scrapbook, I make scented cachets and sell them, I have the stuff to make jewelery but have not started yet, I do genealogy and if I find anything else that trips my trigger.....I will start that also!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions