What is a Cache to you?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me a Cache is a collection of coins or other valuables that were purposely placed for later retrieval. I see some who seem to think a collection of coins found in one place is a cache. I call that a "jeans dump". Somebody is changing their jeans, or whatever, and coins and such fall out of their pocket. I found a place today that had three quarters, three dimes, two nicklels and three pennies all within inches, (all modern). That is not a cache to me. How do you feel?

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i feel the same way a cache would be a jar or a metal tin or box full of silver coins or gold

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a cache (pronounced CASH, not "cashay" ) is something of value which was purposely hidden for later retrieval. Spills are not caches.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same view on caches. Pocket (jean) spills are not the same as caches. Good topic.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To cache is to put something(s)away instead of carrying it with you. Storage if you will,not all ways so secretive only cache maker can recover as it can be marked or have sign. Fur trade era,cache valley,or Louis and Clark journeys an example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread