What is the best bet for finding silver in coinroll hunting?

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Any of the above- And patience-

I have had success in halves, dimes, and nickels. Never tried the quarters.

Average over 1 / box in all three stated coins...
n8

OP
OP
D

dinero

Jan 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks but I am asking among the forum members, what is the best luck you have had with the different types of coins?

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, N8, guess you don't count as a forum member... :)

QUARTERS all the way... never have any luck with halves or dimes.

HH
BB

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
baddbluff said:
Sorry, N8, guess you don't count as a forum member... :)

QUARTERS all the way... never have any luck with halves or dimes.

HH
BB

+1 ;D

OP
OP
D

dinero

Jan 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all for responding. I tried halves and dimes and some quarters rolls. Just getting impatient I guess. I found the halves a bit tough to dump. So was wondering if dimes would be easier to dump and if I would have better luck. Thanks again to everyone. Great forum!

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dinero said:
Thank you all for responding. I tried halves and dimes and some quarters rolls. Just getting impatient I guess. I found the halves a bit tough to dump. So was wondering if dimes would be easier to dump and if I would have better luck. Thanks again to everyone. Great forum!

Dont waste your time with halves, dimes will cost you because of miscounts. Stick with quarters or pennies.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
I'd search the following, in order-

Quarters
SBA Dollars
Presidential Dollars
More Quarters
More SBA Dollars
More Presidential Dollars!!!!!
Nickels produces good amount of silver also, and it's fun date searching them!!!!

DEFINITELY stay away from Halves and Dimes!!!! Waste of time, all of the Ag Halves and Dimes were already been melt down back in the 60s.
If you ever come across with 1971 Kennedy halves, make sure you keep them all as some of those 71' halves were mint on Ag planchet!!!
:notworthy: :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :hello:

Welcome !!

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
I find on average about 5 silver quarters per box ($500), which is a good $30 in silver value! Compared to the dismal mount of halves i find, maybe 1 per 2 boxes ($500). And don't even get me started with dimes... i haven't seen a silver dime in ages. too little of them produced.

optix

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time discerning when some of you are answering honestly or simply pulling our legs. The consensus on this thread seems to be quarters is better, on the beginners guide it is suggested that 50 cents is better. I guess it depends on the area you are hunting, From my search this weekend I did better with halves. Results where not stellar but this is what I got.

50 cent 4 boxes---------- Found 3 40% pieces

Dimes 2 1/2 boxes----- Found two dimes

Quarters 1 1/2 boxes--- Found one quarter

yyznick

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pennies are a safe bet, 1943 pennies are worth far more than anything you'll find elsewhere.

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
Overwhelmingly quarters.I ask 4 1974 halves from tellers also.Try to get all of those.Worth a bundle someday.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
I gave the most honest answer. Maybe one day they will let me join the forum?
Please petition for me to be a full member sometime in the near future. I have very little to give, but can give you all these useless 1967 half dollars. I sure wish they were easier to dump-
N8

raulduke

Nov 15, 2011
southern N.H.
Primary Interest:
Other
dinero said:
Thanks but I am asking among the forum members, what is the best luck you have had with the different types of coins?
I'm pretty sure under n8's picture it says "senior member". n8, the rest of us appreciate your input! :icon_thumright:

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
optix said:
I have a hard time discerning when some of you are answering honestly or simply pulling our legs. The consensus on this thread seems to be quarters is better, on the beginners guide it is suggested that 50 cents is better. I guess it depends on the area you are hunting, From my search this weekend I did better with halves. Results where not stellar but this is what I got.

50 cent 4 boxes---------- Found 3 40% pieces

Dimes 2 1/2 boxes----- Found two dimes

Quarters 1 1/2 boxes--- Found one quarter

There is a beginners guide...... ??? Who da thunk it! :BangHead:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope no one is proud of themselves on this one. Justice would be served here if OP found a dream box of $0.25 as a result of the encouragement.

Sure, OP err'ed in asking something that is more than apparent via the beginner's guide and old posts. But, dinero is hardly the first to commit such a forum Faux pas.

N8 kicked things off with a reasonable answer to the ?reasonable/unreasonable? question.

Ppl apparently took exception to OP's reply.
dinero said:
The way I read it, OP was not intending to disrespect N8 or his answer. I suspect that dinero was trying to clarify the question - asking what coins have you had the greatest number of keepers. I didn't read it as accusing N8 of being a non-member and dismissing his response as not credible.

How about either extending the benefit of the doubt or asking for clarification before assuming the worst?

Dekay

Dec 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a tough crowd!!

HH Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions