What is the best bet for finding silver in coinroll hunting?

OP
OP
D

dinero

Jan 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
madwest said:
I hope no one is proud of themselves on this one. Justice would be served here if OP found a dream box of $0.25 as a result of the encouragement.

Sure, OP err'ed in asking something that is more than apparent via the beginner's guide and old posts. But, dinero is hardly the first to commit such a forum Faux pas.

N8 kicked things off with a reasonable answer to the ?reasonable/unreasonable? question.

Ppl apparently took exception to OP's reply.
dinero said:
Thanks but I am asking among the forum members, what is the best luck you have had with the different types of coins?
The way I read it, OP was not intending to disrespect N8 or his answer. I suspect that dinero was trying to clarify the question - asking what coins have you had the greatest number of keepers. I didn't read it as accusing N8 of being a non-member and dismissing his response as not credible.

How about either extending the benefit of the doubt or asking for clarification before assuming the worst?
You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for taking the time to clarify for the jokers. I know they were just having some fun with a newbie. I have already read the beginner's guide, I do know about the coins up to 1964 and the war nickles, and the half dollars years etc. etc. Today I got my first box of quarters and all I ended up with was with one 1953 and some asian coin.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 1,126
  • asian.jpg
    asian.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 1,131

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
Im very suprised that yall so no to halves.I ve had a tremendous amount of luck with halves I guess it depends on what region your in.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for taking the time to clarify for the jokers. I know they were just having some fun with a newbie. I have already read the beginner's guide, I do know about the coins up to 1964 and the war nickles, and the half dollars years etc. etc. Today I got my first box of quarters and all I ended up with was with one 1953 and some asian coin.
[/quote]

That is a South Korean 100 won. The date is on the back in normal numbers.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange. I got the same Asian coin today as a coin counter reject. Hmmm... Thanks for IDing it for me!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
tmjones550 said:
Im very suprised that yall so no to halves.I ve had a tremendous amount of luck with halves I guess it depends on what region your in.
I believe you are right about that. Also, if you're starting out fresh in an area and hitting those banks, you may do really well...for awhile...until you clean out the local inventory and the finds slow to a trickle. Then it's back to boxes.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not beleive them. Dollars are the best specially the little golden ones.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darth Walker

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
Do not beleive them. Dollars are the best specially the little golden ones.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darth Walker
]
Hey Darth what do you look for in the golden dollars?? the tellers tell me they got tons of them but no ikes when i ask.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
dinero said:
Thank you all for responding. I tried halves and dimes and some quarters rolls. Just getting impatient I guess. I found the halves a bit tough to dump. So was wondering if dimes would be easier to dump and if I would have better luck. Thanks again to everyone. Great forum!

Quarters are the easiest to dump. Banks go through quarter boxes like no other. You should have no problem getting rid of them. Even easier in plastic wraps. GL

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
jarlbartar said:
Strange. I got the same Asian coin today as a coin counter reject. Hmmm... Thanks for IDing it for me!

The South Korean 100 won and a quarter are the same diameter and the quarter only weighs about 0.20 grams more.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cbrtriple8 said:
I'd search the following, in order-

Quarters
SBA Dollars
Presidential Dollars
More Quarters
More SBA Dollars
More Presidential Dollars!!!!!
Nickels produces good amount of silver also, and it's fun date searching them!!!!

DEFINITELY stay away from Halves and Dimes!!!! Waste of time, all of the Ag Halves and Dimes were already been melt down back in the 60s.
If you ever come across with 1971 Kennedy halves, make sure you keep them all as some of those 71' halves were mint on Ag planchet!!!
:notworthy: :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :hello:

Welcome !!

lol... i say quarters and only quarters......these are not the droids your looking for

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have tried quarters but find more silver dimes.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually quarters are not that bad. My first box contained a nice 1965 and 1968 silver quarters. But that was beginners luck ;D . Next 4 boxes//// straight skunk :icon_scratch:

That's why I do nickels :D

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
Nice find on that silver quarter :icon_thumright: I am getting a box of quarters screw it. I am gonna try them.

Did one box after agreeing with your post. Found a 1932. :tongue3:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
dinero said:
Thank you all for responding. I tried halves and dimes and some quarters rolls. Just getting impatient I guess. I found the halves a bit tough to dump. So was wondering if dimes would be easier to dump and if I would have better luck. Thanks again to everyone. Great forum!

actually dimes harder to dump as rolling them is a pain and counters often count them wrong

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cbrtriple8 said:
I'd search the following, in order-
Quarters
SBA Dollars
Presidential Dollars
More Quarters
More SBA Dollars
More Presidential Dollars!!!!!
Nickels produces good amount of silver also, and it's fun date searching them!!!!

DEFINITELY stay away from Halves and Dimes!!!! Waste of time, all of the Ag Halves and Dimes were already been melt down back in the 60s. If you ever come across with 1971 Kennedy halves, make sure you keep them all as some of those 71' halves were mint on Ag planchet!!! Welcome !!
I would like to know what you can find in SBA and PRES dollars???
Please Do tell!!
PS I have yet to ever see a silver 71 Half?

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n8dagr8345 said:
I gave the most honest answer. Maybe one day they will let me join the forum?
Please petition for me to be a full member sometime in the near future. I have very little to give, but can give you all these useless 1967 half dollars. I sure wish they were easier to dump-
N8

This is true N8 but seeing as your not a regular forum member im not sure your advice can be trusted. That being said all this talk about quarters im gonna have to grab some today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread