What the heck is a matter with kids?

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I want to give someone a quick demo on a metal detector, I just go up to the high school. Inside one of the entrances is a row of vending machins. The kids throw their pennys out the door. I can always pick up a dollars worth if I haven't hit it in a couple of weeks.
They don't take pennys on Okinawa. The amount is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents.

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
God Damnit people!!! NOT ALL KIDS ARE BAD!!!! I don't understand what is your guys' issue, how can't you realize that there ARE good kids!!!!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jdsarasin8194 said:
God Damnit people!!! NOT ALL KIDS ARE BAD!!!! I don't understand what is your guys' issue, how can't you realize that there ARE good kids!!!!

Ok Cartman ;D

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
jdsarasin8194 said:

Dude. Slow down. Judging by your reply it appears you didn't read this whole thread. Several times it was mentioned that not all kids are bad. Go back and read this thread again.

There was a good description of the use of a "generalization". You might learn something from that term. Go back and read this thread again.

Someone else mentioned how there has been a drastic shift in the morals etc of kids today compared to kids 20yrs ago. 20yrs is not that long ago and does not explain the drastic downward spiral in behaviour "a lot" of today's kids exhibit.

Example: When I went to high school 25yrs ago the worst thing kids did was smoke a weed joint. Maybe get into a fist fight after school. When one kid got beaten down the winner usually just walked away. Today kids are doing incredibly dangerous synthetic drugs, carrying guns/knives, stealing cars and doing B&E's. If there was a fist fight today that same winner would pounce on the downed kid and lay the boots to him.

Example: My mother worked her whole life in the school system (high school librarian/supply teacher) and can remember when sometime in the 90's it was like a light switch got flicked. Now they have regular police patrols inside the school, several kids were expelled for weapons charges and my buddies younger brother (who came through high school well after us) got attacked by a gang with a machete for looking at the wrong girl.

Sad sad sad.

I agree, not all kids are bad, but by todays standards the "generalization" that kids are bad is very accurate. Don't believe me just because I'm saying it, believe me because I've lived it. So has many many posters here on TNet.

Experience trumps all.

Kanyontreasures

Jan 13, 2010
idaho
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii
jdsarasin8194 said:
fathead said:
Kids don't know anything, if they did they wouldn't have to go to school all day everyday.

They, like us are doing the best that they can. They look at us with hundreds if not thousands of dollars in equipment to dig up pennies and canslaw and think "What the heck is the matter with adults?"

Fathead
HEY!!! I'M A KID!!!!! I'M A KID AND I DIG!!!! >:(
see look there is more than one kid on here!!! this is crap and father head i looked up too you! i liked all your post and you did not say most kids i am sorry if i am mistaking but i do not see the most kids part!!

Kanyontreasures

Jan 13, 2010
idaho
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii
jdsarasin8194 said:
i agree i am 13 and i think this is bull ****!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Its Mcdonalds thats the problem ;D

My kids went t-hunting with me today along a shoreline. After a little bit they got bored with diggin pull tabs , ran back to the truck , grabbed a couple of bags , and picked up trash for another hour. ..all on thier own.
Id like to think that the values we teach our children stick with them when mom and dad arent around , but peer presure often causes one to forget. A group of youths are certainly more likely to act "stupidly". Had it been a single kid in the car , he probably would not have acted with such disrespect.
For the benefit of the younger posters....when I reference youth ...I mean youth now....youth when I was youthful....as well as the youth of the future.....its the nature of the beast.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
It's a matter of balance . I've influenced many kids in a positive manner that were seeking direction . Taught them how to do fun things , build with their own hands . Gave them jobs that they got paid for .
On the other hand ; when a worthless gang was terrorizing my youngest teenage daughter telling her that she had to give "it" up , I went to their hangout with a well balanced white ash Yankee Slugger baseball bat and never uttered a word until they were all on the floor with multiple broken bones ..........
Then I 'read em from the book'. That ended her problem and those of several other girls as well .
Local law enforcement failed to find any interest in investigating this incident .

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies & Gentlemen,
This has been an interesting thread to read from top to bottom so I thought I'd add my thoughts. As a kid I did some dumb things and some "wrong" things. I chose to do those things then and I choose not to do them now. Do I still make mistakes, yes and now I'm a kid of almost 66 years of learning. Emphasis is on two words, "kid" and "Learning". Have I learned it all, no. It makes no difference what the age, experience or position in the society we all do dumb things. Maybe when I see some young people doing things they should not and I get burned about it maybe, its because it reminds me of the poor choices I made as a kid. There is that word again, choice. Some of us choose to learn a better way of living a life as we experience it, some of us say we got a bad break in life and choose to continue making poor choices. I think my life on this earth is a chance to learn about good and not good and then to choose which path I will follow most of the time. I have five grandchildren and one great grandchild and I can only hope that the example I set is noticed by them and that they choose to make their life worthwhile. It is up to the individual to have integrity or not, choose.
My best regards to all of you, young and older, MDer's out there. May our lives be something we are proud of because we have chosen to live a life that creates goodness and helps us to recover from our errors.

P.S. - By mid June 2010 backpacking season will begin for me. I will shoulder my ~85 pound pack and head into the Sierras with my GMT, fishing gear, camera and other oddments to continue a life in a manner that brings great joy to me and to my three children who began bkpking with me as they turned four years of age. What great memories we have! Enjoy!

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Johnlightning said:
We were all kids once, so just remember the days when you had no worries or cares. Ah to be young again.

Exactly!! Then you grow up and get jaded by the realities of life!!!

John

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey.....nice find in the bag! :icon_thumleft: Sometimes we do get rewarded by doing a good deed like picking up garbage! And......oh my at the rest of the responses! :icon_profileleft:

HH,
Moon

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
dank said:
i hate to admit it, but i was one of those punk kids not to long ago!!
i was just telling my buddy the other day, about 15 years ago i was at a beach hangen out, and a MDer was passing by, me and my friends threw all the change in our pockets in front of the poor guy who was trying to dig enough change for a cup of coffee! ( or so we has assumed!)
the stupid guy didn't even find our change we threw down!(he was ignoring us) we thought how lame is this guy! and laughed at him!
little did we know, hes metal detector probably cost more than the car i was driving at the time!
i usually go easy on kids, mostly caz i know there just dump! (from personal experience).
Good thing to keep in mind . I think most, if not all of us were like that to one degree or other once. I don't remember being a litter bug at all when I was a kid. My parents taught me to be respectful of others but I did do some pretty knuckleheaded things I'm sure.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The biggest problem in general with kids today is far too little loving discipline. That is physically correcting the child on that place the Lord provided for that type of thing and doing it for the child's own good.

Other countries know America has had it for our lack of discipline and our never satisfied greedy lust for material possessions. Just what our Founding Fathers warned of is happening before our eyes.

But getting beyond the real root issue; kids will be kids.

The money in the bag thing made me laugh. When I was a teen I hated our football rival school and late one evening while driving by it I threw a bunch of candy wrappers out right in from of the school. Later that night it came to me that I had set my money on that very stack of trash paper (about $35). Somebody the next morning had fun in front of that building! ;D

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what's the matter with kids. I didn't read where anyone said they were all bad. This thread sure tripped a lot of triggers.
63 bkpkr..My two youngest are backpacking in Afganstan. (ages 38 Army, and 32 Marine)

Attachments

• Back Pack.jpg
    Back Pack.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
trapper bob

trapper bob

Mar 22, 2005
mid-michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinshooter 2, Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Bounty Hunter Landstar, Bounty Hunter Lonestar
WOW! My post sure took a BIZARRE turn. They were still KIDS, they still threw Trash and I am still over $4 RICHER!!!
p.s There was a 56 wheatie in the bunch.............hh all Bob :laughing7:

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
HCW said:
dank said:
i hate to admit it, but i was one of those punk kids not to long ago!!
i was just telling my buddy the other day, about 15 years ago i was at a beach hangen out, and a MDer was passing by, me and my friends threw all the change in our pockets in front of the poor guy who was trying to dig enough change for a cup of coffee! ( or so we has assumed!)
the stupid guy didn't even find our change we threw down!(he was ignoring us) we thought how lame is this guy! and laughed at him!
little did we know, hes metal detector probably cost more than the car i was driving at the time!
i usually go easy on kids, mostly caz i know there just dump! (from personal experience).
Good thing to keep in mind . I think most, if not all of us were like that to one degree or other once. I don't remember being a litter bug at all when I was a kid. My parents taught me to be respectful of others but I did do some pretty knuckleheaded things I'm sure.
Why can't you guys say "punk kids" instead of kids in general, there is NO problem with the kid society, just the few kids that think that they are cool by being punks! And yes, we are your future leaders and we will be the best leaders that this country has ever seen!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to the OP;
It's not just kids that litter. Adults are just as guilty if not more so.
Maybe that's the attitude that kids see and thus duplicate it.

Scott

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here at our camp if they are caught writing on the walls we break out the paint and the have to paint over the graffiti.

We get about 1 kid a week that tries it....After the others hear about the consequences no one wants to write on my walls any more :D ;D

Those kids that you speak of with the fast food bags need a little 4-h in their lives

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread