What was the greatest compliment that you have ever received?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For myself, I believe that it was when I was getting married in the church after a formal 2 year old Spanish courtship

About one hour before the ceremony, an Indian friend from the high sierras showed up at the wedding. He was dirty and obviously tired, carrying a small bundle. He cleaned up, changed clothes, attended the wedding, had a cool drink and some food, then changed clothes again and left for his home in the sierras..

It was months before I found out just what he had done. He had put his clean, but weathered Levis and a checked shirt in a piece of plastic then proceeded to walk over a mountain range which went up to 5000 ft, mostly up and down, forded several streams, which were in flood stage due to the recent hurricane, and had finally arrived at the Church just in time for the ceramony..

He had walked over 120 miles and spent 5 days on the trail just to attend my wedding.

My father simply said "You will never again receive such a compliment in your life" I can only agree whole heartedly.

Guillermo is now gone but his last request was "if you ever see my grave, poke a hole in it and stick a cigar in it". This has been gladly, but sadly done.

I have been blessed by others in my travels / explorations doing similar things, but this was the suprme one. I have been fortunate to know many such wonderful people, regardless of race or country.

Don Jose de La Mancha

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine came when I was told that I was an excellent father. And it came from my ex-wife!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Jose, that's amazing.

Mine came from a friend who told me I would be very successful and wealthy, because I deserved it.

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
Don Jose. that was a Great story what a good friend he was to go all that way does my old Heart good to read that ;D THANKS FOR SHARING it :D Buck

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
I agree with your father, I doubt there is many compliments a person could get that would be greater then that.

The best compliment in my mind that I have recieved was when my grandmother asked that I make a medicine bag for her to take her items to the grave with her for her journey.

Brad

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, now that's a compliment my friend!!

Mine is when the judge granted me full custody of my kids in my divorce trial. They are my greatest treasures!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=stevesno
Mine came when I was told that I was an excellent father. And it came from my ex-wife!

HI, I certainly agree Steve, that is. One like that is hard earned.

Don jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=djui5
Wow Jose, that's amazing.

Mine came from a friend who told me I would be very successful and wealthy, because I deserved it.

Yes Djui, I remember telling you that !

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=chuckered I was told as a fat guy I don't sweat much.

HI chuck, that IS a compliment, some are bathed n sweat. hehe. You would have fun in the jungles between Mexico and Honduras, hot, humid, and definitely reducing weather hehehe.

Doin Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=Buck Don Jose. that was a Great story what a good friend he was to go all that way does my old Heart good to read that ;D THANKS FOR SHARING it :D Buck

Thank YOU BUCK for understanding what I was trying to say.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=slowreaper

The best compliment in my mind that I have recieved was when my grandmother asked that I make a medicine bag for her to take her items to the grave with her for her journey. Brad

There is no question in my mind BRAD, that was a mgnificient one. . Incidentally, what did you place in her Medicne Bag?

p.s. I am an itty bit Mohican

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=Boobydoo ]
Wow, now that's a compliment my friend!!
Mine is when the judge granted me full custody of my kids in my divorce trial. They are my greatest treasures! smiles! BDoo

I agree boobydoo, you had a a rare and great one. Very few judges will separate a natural mother from her kiddies in favor of poppy unless he "is" outstanding. congratulations.

Don Jose de La Mancha

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You don't take anything serious Do You ?"

My High School History Teacher,
When I came to Graduation, Late 8)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great Story Jose.
My best compliments are when someone tells me what great children I have.
When you put your heart and soul into your family and it comes back 100 fold ,it just feels fantastic :)

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
Ditto Gypsyheart.

My most treasured compliment when I was younger: when I was 19 my Dad mailed me an application for a poetry contest. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I could not afford the entrance fee. (My sis and I had an apartment and were living hand to mouth.) When he passed away, I found a recording he had made back in the day of me and friends playing/singing one of my songs. He had kept it for 25 years, and I had forgotten that it even existed.

Now, I love it when someone tells me they see me in my daughters, because they are beautiful. (Recently, my 25 year old told me she was adjusting the mirror in her car and had a flash that it was my eyes looking back at her.)

T

treasurejack

My greatest compliment came from my ex-wife, who I divorced while I was wildly and thoughtlessly sewing my oats. Several years later she paid me a visit just to let me know that she always knew I would return to being a good man and a great father. On that day I finally felt the weight of the world drop from my shoulders and life was once more very good again. I can't tell you the number of sleepless nights I endured after I realized what I had done and how I had done it. Perhaps sharing a bit too much here, but I'm rather proud of the turnaround.

T

TreasureTales

All great compliments, to be sure. I had one friend who walked 30 miles to see me, does that count? LOL, my mother gave him a ride back to his house because he got blisters on his heels from his shiny new shoes. Nice guy, but not my type - I like 4x4s. Hahaha

I've received two nice compliments (nice compliments in my mind, anyhow). 1) "You make me think" - that's been a frequent comment and I always take it as a compliment because it's important for people to think about things, IMO. 2) When they respond emotionally to my poems. At one banquet - filled with mining executives, several of the men said my poem brought a tear to their eyes. Now that was something I had always dreamed of doing - uh, not making grown men cry but making people feel the emotions that I hoped my poems would elicit.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Joe,
You took Guillermo's trek as a compliment.
I take it as a testimonial to your character :)

My best compliment, I think was when my old man said...."No....your butt doesn't look fat in those pants :( ( i KNEW he was lying, 'cuz his lips were moving )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread