What would you do if the banks shut down for a week?

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have enough cash on hand to last you an entire week if the banks ever closed? If they did credit cards might not work. Savings would be frozen and stores may not take checks. All you need is one weeks supply of money, some food and a full tank of gas right! Where do you stand right now. Can you survive with out a bank?

T

trish76642

thats a scarey thought but one that we all need to think seriously about.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I'd stock up on batteries (for da MD) and make sure my utilities were paid. That's about it.

With batteries I can pay for gas and food:)

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trish, we do need to think about. It is a possability. The banks are threatening us in many ways that are subtle. The PTB always do that. You have to learn to survive on your own. Vibes, you are right to a point. You can go to a park and find enough cash for a hamburger at Mc. D's. But when the parks are cleaned out, then what.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about this just yesterday. I stopped to cash a check for a small amount. The customer in front of me I guess was either cashing a good sized check or making a withdrawal from a someones account for them. The teller had to call this person and tell them there were not enough funds on hand. The reason was that when people heard about Washington Mutual having problems they started pulling their money out of their accounts. This was not a Wamu bank ! Scary times we're living in.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is NOT a good idea to take all of your money out of the bank. But it is a Good idea to have enough cash on hand to survive a week with out having to go to the bank, just in case they do close. We are living in uncertain times where anything can happen.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In the past, folks survived without bank accounts AND credit cards.

If you don't already have, plan to have: $$ on hand; canned goods; water sources; weapons and ammo; a plan on how to survive 6 months or more on your own.

Your gov't doesn't care about your survival. Understand that. They only, as individuals, care for their own survival.

Noodle

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, what a timely topic.
I and mine are secure.
This cannot happen though.
Don't you remember the folks that control the world ?
They will not let this happen.
Their futures future's is at stake.
Illuminatti will never be broke.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some neighbors bartering is much alive. In a bad economy it is the way to go!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~Trish~ said:
What does Barter mean? I've never heard that.

It means to trade someone an item(s) or to do something for someone, in exchange for something in return.
Typically, it's a spoken agreement in the sense that's being referred to here.

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome :wink:

Bran <><

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trish, Barter means trade. I give you 6 eggs for 6 apples. Or I will fix your door for a can of corn. In Ireland there is a pub where you can barter (trade) a fish for a pint of beer. Hope this helps.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one of the benefits of this web site, not just good folks, you also get new words.

Barter is like trade. or maybe the act of trading. Most folks use currency to facilitate this.
Let's say I am a Haiku repairman. I repair Haikus for $20 each. 8 hrs. a day I go to work doing my job and I get paid at the end of the week with a check supposably good for X amount of American dollars. I put it in my bank and write a check to a person who grows tea for their product. This is all imaginary stuff called money.

Now, let's say I can fix your broken Haiku and you need it fixed.
I will trade you my labor and knowlege for some tea.
No paper money, no taxes, both of us are happy with what we wanted.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I went to my bank on Friday to pull a little money out of savings. The teller told me that I would be limited to a $1,000.00 Cash withdrawl because they were short on money. She told me the company that delivers the money to them hadn't made the delivery and they were short.

Could just be a coincidence? I wasn't taking anywhere near that much out so it didn't affect me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread