What would you do if the banks shut down for a week?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
do just fine -- got "hurricane" emergancy gas for a week to run gen for power to keep frig running / ac on for the missus --got "hurricane" food and water stockpiled for emergany use --- got guns to protect same and self and to provide "fresh meat" if need be --k now how to fish -- trees in area have lots of "tree rats". burp--- do jus fine.

if longer term put in some crops in the back yard for produce.

in real terms golds crap --you need clean water !!! those that can "produce" clean fresh water will be able to trade their "liquid gold"--- also canned foods will be high in value as trading stock as will toilet paper , smokes and booze -- meds of course of all types --and seeds to grow crops with.--guns and ammo will be priceless.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Actually gold would still be something to Barter with, There would always be the "haves" willing to take it. But yes Garden seed would probaly be the most Valuable thing to have on hand in a worst case scenario.
I keep a Can of non hybrid seed in My fridge and change it out every 5 yrs or so, a couple cans or so would probaly even be better, a small price to pay for alot of Insurance.

tmdavis3

Feb 24, 2009
Wouldn't really affect me at all, if for a week. If longer, I wouldn't be able to access my savings account, but it has such a pitifully small balance that it really wouldn't be a loss. The only reason I have it is to be able to cash the occassional check and try to save a few bucks for Christmas.

I don't have credit cards, so that's not gonna affect me.

We're pretty self sufficient around here. Got a flock of chickens for eggs and could stew a few. ;D Got a garden going and still a pretty good supply of veggies canned from last years garden. There's still venison in the freezer. We love to fish. The art of bartering is alive and well in my community, that's for sure. I know a guy who swapped an antique clock (with appraisal of $900) for $700 worth of dental work he could not afford otherwise. They even made a gentlemen's aggreement that if he did come up with the $700, he could have his clock back.

We have some collections that could be used as trade goods, if it ever came to that. Indian artifacts, gemstones, antiques, jewelry, coins. Nothing of major value, but enough to get by on, I feel sure.

If the banks closed up, we'd still work, but maybe not as much. :icon_scratch: We'd probably have more time to fish... and hunt treasure. :thumbsup:

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
Purrdee said:
godisnum1 said:
~Trish~ said:
What does Barter mean? I've never heard that.

It means to trade someone an item(s) or to do something for someone, in exchange for something in return.
Typically, it's a spoken agreement in the sense that's being referred to here.

Bran <><

Something Uncle Sam would love to figure out how to tax!!!

Dee

There is a section in your taxes to list cash value of items or service received in barter so they can tax it, if you tell them.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uncle sugar hates "bartering" -- what folks conducting "bussiness" with him not getting a cut ? -- bad bad bad says uncle sugar --so now there a "spot" on your tax forms were you can "confess" to uncle sugar all about it ---just tell him how much the stuff you bartered was worth $$ wize and pay theincome taxes on it and while your at it -- tell uncle sugar as well who esle was invovled in the "bartering"-- so uncle sugar's tax men can go after them too -- come on you fools "confess" put your own necks in the noose-for em -- "rat" on yerself and yer "bussiness" partners to uncle sugar --you know you wanna pay more money to uncle sugar ;D

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
While his own congress men cheateth... and go unpunished. But you're right; the Federalists expect the peons to come clean with their $59.08 purchases and expenditures at the Farmer's Market or across the fence. Fine. Just keep track of your expenditures to raise those plants and products! And don't mention the purchases without taxes, please. The congressmen don't, so why should we?

The banks shutting down for a week is not something we should worry about. Once the banks shut their doors, we don't KNOW how long they are going to be shut down.l Prepare your homes, food supply and cash supply.

During the Great Depression, the local bank locked its doors. The BANKER went home, down around the corner from the bank, and locked his doors. My family, I'm sorry to say, did nothing, but others did. Well, my family probably didn't have over $5 in the bank. But... another did take a stand. His last name, I believe, was Smith. He went to the home of the banker, pounded on the door, and demanded his money out of the bank. I think it was less than $60, but in the end he got it. Bottom line: The banker could see a run coming on the bank and locked the doors. By the way, that bank is still in business today.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Minstrel said:
Keep 12 oz of gold on hand all the time---can trade or barter if the entire economy falls to pieces completely.

And 5 or so hundred bucks stashed to use before the dollar goes completely under.
Use the gold later.

and as stated before...
plenty of whisky and gunpowder ...LOL

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All in all, I don't think it would affect my family and me too much.

I tend to keep the automobile on half a tank or better and I live close enough to ride my bike to work (<10 miles) if I need to. My wife could walk to a store (<.5 miles) for essentials and we have at least 20-30 Euros on hand at any given time.

~IF~

Food was short for some reason, I would have to take my family to the dining facility, which would prolly extend meals on credit.

We don't eat out too often and when we cook, we always have leftovers. bills are up to date but if they were going to be a problem, I would think the very banks that shut down wouldn't expect payments from accounts they know to be frozen anyway; Plus they'd be idiots if they think we'd send cash through the mail...

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
If I were you folks, I would have a reliable weapon in a common caliber first.

Rifle...22 for putting food on the table. A .223 just because Big Brother uses them. A .308 if you really want to put that bad guy down at 500meters or less, and a .30-06 for the availability of ammo (common hunting round).

Pistol...22 for the food. A .357 in a 6in barrell or .45 Government...9mm as a backup only because of Big Brother.

With a gun I can eat, put food on the table...defend what I have and take what I need. Zombies and Meth-heads count as extra points!

The banking industry. I would prefer the banks stayed closed...I'm broke...unemployed...disabled. The banking bailout shouldve happened this way...

WAMU is in trouble...what assests do they hold paper on? Uncle Sugar loans the money to those people by paying their mortgages/notes, etc...(secured stuff only)...credits cards be damned! Then the people the Government is stealing the money from...(our grandchildren); might have a shot at having a roof over their heads. The banks get money from the government in our names (its our money)...not the governments! The banks have money to pay their creditors.

That being said...it was a privaledge to serve these United States for the last 23+ years in the military, but...I sure wish the Government wouldve paid us some kind of seperation bonus...sure, I'm getting a pention...but when your takehome pay goes from 5200/mo as an E7 (housing and rations incld) to a net of 1700...you don't live good.

As a young married couple she took care of the bills while I was deployed...then she took all the money and split. I struggled for months to feed myself as an E5...
the debts were there...eventually things got better, but never to the point of saving much...what I had lasted about 8 months...I found work.

I liked the work that I had, but they didn't want you to take any time off...I have medical issues that eventually led to being fired due to absenteeism. I couldnt get FMLA paperwork done fast enough because I owed my Doctor money...I was always living paycheck to paycheck.

I will never make that mistake again to believe that a union run shop would protect my interests. I won't starve for anyone or work myself to death for a company (part of the reason I missed so much time) again.

I will try for Chapter7 and start over, I hope. If not, they can't squeeze blood from a turnip! I prefer to pay cash anyhow. The mountains are looking pretty good right now...off the grid!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I myself was set for a 3 week comfy zone an anorther 3 weeks`of rationing ,but due to recent events I have had to use the cash ,an sell the gold an silver bullion.but here was what I had.

Ammo

food

water

cash

bullion (for when cash meens nothing)

weapons

fishing supplies an hunting suplies.

then a few things I just wont mention outloud.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I do if the banks closed down for a week? Not much. I never got myself into the position where all my finances were in a bank. I would miss that one good lookin teller though.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimb said:
Trish, we do need to think about. It is a possability. The banks are threatening us in many ways that are subtle. The PTB always do that. You have to learn to survive on your own. Vibes, you are right to a point. You can go to a park and find enough cash for a hamburger at Mc. D's. But when the parks are cleaned out, then what.

I would head to the beaches next, then finally head for the hills :laughing9: I always kep a few dollars on hand, just in case :icon_thumleft:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RGINN said:
What would I do if the banks closed down for a week? Not much. I never got myself into the position where all my finances were in a bank. I would miss that one good lookin teller though.
Where do you put them? Do you bury it? What about a month?

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I already know what that would do to me. My banker pushed the wrong damn button on my account and deleted it. Took a week to get it fully back online and a month to get my debit card to work.

I now have pocket change rolled up, a few fives, tens and twenty dollar bills stashed, and a couple fifty dollar bills on me for such bad times.

Ask me if I trust banks now. "HELL NO."

Their just a storage place for greenbacks that aren't worth the paper that their printed on.

I survived with out banks when I was young and I will do it again now that I'm older.

Good bye "Bank of Fraud" in small town USA. Not to be confused with Bank of -----ca, whom I would never bank with either.

I leave just enough money in my account to leave it open now. Gee, I wonder why?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seamuss said:
I already know what that would do to me. My banker pushed the wrong damn button on my account and deleted it. Took a week to get it fully back online and a month to get my debit card to work.

I now have pocket change rolled up, a few fives, tens and twenty dollar bills stashed, and a couple fifty dollar bills on me for such bad times.

Ask me if I trust banks now. "HELL NO."

Their just a storage place for greenbacks that aren't worth the paper that their printed on.

I survived with out banks when I was young and I will do it again now that I'm older.

Good bye "Bank of Fraud" in small town USA. Not to be confused with Bank of -----ca, whom I would never bank with either.

I leave just enough money in my account to leave it open now. Gee, I wonder why?
Bank of -----ca has been stealing from me for some time now. I have to go in tommorrow and fight with them. They stole another $55 from me. I cannot be overdrawn because I am protected by a creditline. Im almost positive they do it on purpose, hoping we will not notice, in an attempt to stay afloat. Everybody please double check your statements. Im about ready to pull out. >:(

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Many years ago I had an account with a bank.
They bounced a check and charged me a bunch of money.
I took statements in and check book to prove them wrong.
They wanted me to pay a bunch of money per hour for their bookkeeper to go over this.
After I made a scene in bank lobby, they did it for free while I was watching.
I was not wrong. They said "oops, sorry". Lot of my time wasted.
Next problem, I lost check book. Went in and asked them to stop payment of the not written checks by number that were in
the book because I had lost it. They asked me how much they were written for. I said I lost my checkbook and had no idea, but if these check numbers come in, the are fake. They could not do that. So I said I would like to close my account and get cash.
No problem. That was done. Then I said I would like to open a checking account, here is the cash to go into account.
New account number I figured I was safe. Oh no. Check came in from old account and was paid which made new account overdrawn and fines were imposed on me. When I asked why they said my name was on that closed account so they paid it from new account! I closed it again and went to a credit union. Never had a problem in 20 yrs. now.

Grey

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
i would be happy no bounce ck notices would be comming :hello2:

just kidding we deal mostly in cash,, i use checks for the bills i have to but no c.c. no atm card . the bank has been pushing me for years to get one and i said no prob.as long as if anything bounces because i forgot they would cover it . still dont have one. and i have surrived . :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread