What would you do if the banks shut down for a week?

goldseeker1982

Greenie
Oct 1, 2009
If the banks closed many people may loose totally confidence in our monetary system. The greenbacks you save may have no value to a merchant depending on the situation. I would look to other methods of payment.

This scenario is more likely for a long term close down.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worry so much if only for a week. We have been through the ice storm up here in Maine. Three weeks without power. (And, yes I hated it.) I do like having cash but it does go quickly. We have a nice home with good neighbors. We are trying to survive. In 2005, I almost died. 3 weeks in the hospital, no insurance. I pay the medical bills monthly and they did treat me. I live from paycheck to paycheck now. I love my house. I love that I have so much. But I do know that I can live with a lot less. Do I want to, hell, no. You need supplies, you need a plan. Our ancestors did it. Make sure you have WATER. Money is Money. Study Survival Stuff.

Mrs. mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Love being ignored. Sad I ruined it. I get the picture. It was such a good post. :

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my spare financial resources in my pocket. Not the one I carry my gun in, though.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vibes said:
I'd stock up on batteries (for da MD) and make sure my utilities were paid. That's about it.

With batteries I can pay for gas and food:)

I seen this was and older post, but I still would like to say that Vibes reply was cool, You go Girl.

Nova Treasure

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Remove your money from a bank and put it into a credit union.
There is a far less chance of it being stolen(not by the Gov. but by the greed of bank administrators)

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
pigiron said:
Remove your money from a bank and put it into a credit union.
There is a far less chance of it being stolen(not by the Gov. but by the greed of bank administrators)

Whoa !
What happened ti FDIC ?

Grey

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I've been Unemployed for the past 10 months.

I don't have any money! :laughing9:

Barter, Trade , Gold and Silver.

photopro

Oct 20, 2009
Texas
Yes, Definitely pull your money from the banks(That were bailed out) and put it in a credit union. STARVE THE BEAST!
Nine more banks were taken over yesterday by the FDIC and they are already broke. Of course the .gov will just print more money!
About the FDIC insurance, yes up to $250K per account is covered(currently) but how long it takes to get your money back is up to them, by statute they have up to 99 years to pay it back. Usually people get they're money with in a week or two but with the present state of our financial system and if enough failures occur at the same time, well who knows.
These are definitely scary times we live in my friends, I hope everyone is preparing accordingly.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I would hunker down, in between survival work.

I've read about economic collapse in other countries, where the cash was lying in the gutters and floating in the surf, too worthless to pick up. I'll never dismiss the value of precious metals.

I know a bank manager, he says there's never enough in his vault to cover everybody.

Want to worry a little more? Read this link:
http://media.einnews.com/article.php?pid=73800

Pound Could Collapse Within Weeks, Predicts Billionaire Financier Jim Rogers

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 - The UK Pound is on the brink of a collapse which will herald a downturn worse than 2008/9, it could well happen within weeks and the British government is powerless to prevent it. And this in turn will foreshadow a global economic winter that could come before the end of 2010 and make the last two years seem like a mild spring day. ... (snip)

...Marc Faber, who won his moniker 'Dr Doom' after advising investors to pull out of American stocks one week before the 1987 crash, and who was one of only a few vocal investors to predict the present troubles, believes that America is on the brink of bankruptcy as it is wholly unable to service its debt***. But, like Rogers, he sees foreknowledge as an opportunity, not just a threat. .... (snip)

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thought.
If a bank was shut down for a week, someone would have lots of time to tunnel in and steal all those pens that don't work. Maybe even some carpet to use in a sluice box?

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
well I guess as long as I have my gold pan....I will all ways be able to work.....and if I need to defend my self....no problem,,,I know I will not go hungry.....who needs the banks any ways....IN GOLD WE TRUST.... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

db

Attachments

• gold in pan 2.jpg
    gold in pan 2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 162
  • gold in pan 1.jpg
    gold in pan 1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 169
  • target.jpg
    target.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 187

mascallw119

Apr 23, 2010
That is a very good question. I remember my dad always saying to always make sure you have cash on hand at home in case of emergencies. Today less people walk around with cash because of debit cards, credit cards, etc. Personally, I think it a good idea, if possible, to have a month's expenses in cash on hand at home. I know it sounds a bit high but what I am thinking about is when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida and people needed cash on hand until services were available again. Then the other issue is if the bank you have your money in solvent. Here are some 800 numbers you may find helpful:

if your money is in:

Type: Federal Savings & Loans and Federal Savings Banks
under regulations of the Office of Thrift Supervision (1-800-842-6929)
Type: Banks with names ending in "National or NA"
under regulations of the Office of Comptroller of the Currency (1-800-613-6743)
Type: Federally Chartered Credit Unions (1-800-827-9650)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
No bank, no savings, enough to get by for a week, How the H--- are you people going to make it through retirement?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread