WHAT WOULD YOU PAY ?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would fight a permit fee tooth and nail. why should i have to pay to use a public park or playground? are they going to charge a fee for kite flying and swingset riding as well? how about dog walking? how much is that worth! the fee should be $0.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
hollowpointred said:
i would fight a permit fee tooth and nail. why should i have to pay to use a public park or playground? are they going to charge a fee for kite flying and swingset riding as well? how about dog walking? how much is that worth! the fee should be $0.

I agree... no fee.

Now, I do understand what goes through the heads of lawmakers when they see some misfit out there digging to beat hell and leaving a mess. Bt like all laws - I think they should leave the rest of us alone and punish the offenders.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Montana Jim said:
hollowpointred said:

I agree... no fee.

Now, I do understand what goes through the heads of lawmakers when they see some misfit out there digging to beat hell and leaving a mess. Bt like all laws - I think they should leave the rest of us alone and punish the offenders.

what are they going to use this "fee" money for anyway? ::)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
hollowpointred said:
Montana Jim said:
hollowpointred said:

I agree... no fee.

what are they going to use this "fee" money for anyway? ::)

Thats a good question...

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I agree....NO WAY will I pay a fee to use a PUBLIC PARK....we pay too much money for so many things....just to line the pockets of our politicians and city officials so they can keep their golf courses looking nice and have parties on their yachts and whatever else they can come up with....

Instead of fining the folks who care and enjoy the cities PUBLIC places, look out for the ones that destroy it by spray painting, leaving their trash laying around, etc....geeeeeeeshhhhhhhhhh!!!!

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt pay 1 cent. Not even close. I would continue to detect and ignore anyone trying to collect a fee to use something my tax dollars are already paying for.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thinking on this would be, if the city or state does not allow MDing and if they do issue permits for say $5.00-$10.00 for a year to allow detectorists on property, I think it would be worth it as long as you get to keep what you find. I am sure that parks or city property would have more than that in lost items that would be found, plus it would allow detecting to find more goodies where as if they didn't allow detecting and no permits all the lost goodies would still be there with us wishing we could detect it as we all know lots of people go to these areas, but for paying for permits and not keeping anything we find then, NO WAY!

OP
OP
mlhudson

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
REASON I POSTED THIS WAS THAT MY LOCAL GOVERMENT ( CITY ) , AT A RECENT TOWN HALL MEETING, IT WAS DISCUSSED ON THE TOPIC, METAL
DETECTING IN AND AROUND THE PARKS AND PLAYGROUNDS, TO BEGIN WITH
I SHOULD SAY THAT 4 YEARS AGO A MAN WAS CAUGHT WITH A MD AT A LOCAL PARK THAT WAS CLOSED FOR REPAIR AND UP KEEP ON THE PLACE, COPS
ARRESTED FOR TRESPASS, VANDALISM, REMOVING HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS
FAILURE TO PROVE PERMISSION ( NO OK FROM CITY LAND LORDS ). SO THE
GUY GETS A LAWYER ON THE CASE, HE LOST THE CASE. STOPED ALL LOCAL
PARK METAL DETECTING .DUE TO THIS IS WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION ABOVE,
IF IT WAS NOT FOR GUYS LIKE THAT WE WOULD NOT BE HOLDING THIS FORUM
YOUR OPINION IS GREATLY NEEDED FOR A UPCOMEING TOWNHALL MEETING
HERE , I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW THE "GOV." THAT WE ARE STROUG IN NUMBERS
AND OUR VOICE IS LOUD.

THANK THOSE WHO POST:

M L HUDSON

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
ryaan21 said:
I wouldnt pay 1 cent. Not even close. I would continue to detect and ignore anyone trying to collect a fee to use something my tax dollars are already paying for.

let me know what day the city jail has visitation....I'll bring you a cake with a file in it

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would not pay anything, unless it was forced on me. And I would not recommend to any of us, to suggest it to ANY bureaucrat. The reason is, the MINUTE you suggest that, is the minute you suggest that your hobby is somehow dangerous or evil, that it needed "permission", to begin with! Hollowpointred is right: Since when did we become any different that someone flying a kite, skipping stones, etc....? All you/we do by suggesting we need special sanction, is to further that misconception (that we are all geeks with shovels or something that need monitoring). And once you plant that idea in their head, it only furthers that conception.

ML Hudson, as far as your reasons for asking (that someone was booted from a park), I can only say that perhaps it's because he was behind a construction zone? Perhaps he couldn't "take a warning"? And yes, admittedly maybe an overzealous cop or city does "rough up" someone now and then. My suggestion is to take those as EXCEPTIONS, and not cause for battle-stations. Because if you/we think that means we should all run scared (because of rare odd-ball stories), is when the mentality just snowballs on itself. Ie.: more people read the "exception" and run out asking, suggesting fees, etc... When truth be told, at the other 99% of parks and schools, no one cares less (until you ask).

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would be willing to pay a license fee to detect in a park. After all, you have to buy a hunting license to hunt and a fishing license to fish. The only sticking point would be if you get to keep what you find. Plus, a license could put us in better relations with the town (such as looking for evidence, lost items, etc). Just a thought

Handy, you do bring up a good point, regarding a license for state forests. Pennsylvania has a lot of state forests that are in areas of old towns that have long ago died due to mining, lumbering, oil, etc. I think having a license to hunt those areas would be a good thing. The license, however, must be state wide for it to be worth it.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I agree Ron....if this particular situation comes to having to obtain a permit whether with a fee or not it would be a good way for the authorities to get in touch with a MDer to find evidence (gun, stolen jewelry, etc..) if the need ever arises...........this situation did come up a few years ago in this very town MLHudson is talking about....there was a shooting at a local restaurant where 3 people (I think) were killed and the gun was thrown off the river bridge into the Coosa river.....the police called the guy that runs a dive shop in Birmingham (can't remember his name) and he came and found the gun to help hang the dirty SOBS that did the killing......I also hunt in the town we are discussing so this topic concerns me very much......like i said it may be a good thing....hopefully no fee but our names and phone numbers will go on record for quick retrieval in emergency situations

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
No reason to charge folks... it's greed-driven politics.

They can have a registry of detectorist wihtout charging them a fee to help find the occassional lost murder weapon :)

OP
OP
mlhudson

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
YES THEY HAVE US BY THE GONADS WHEN IT COMES TO PAYING "TAXES","GAS"
HUNTING & FISHING PERMITS, BUILDING PERMITS, AND SUCH ETC...
BUT TO STAY ON THE LEGAL SIDE OF THINGS, I WOULD TO NOT HAVE THE HASSAL OF THE COPS, PARK RANGERS,CITY OFFICIALS W/ LOADED FINGERS
READY TO POINT,ANYONE THAT DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER. YES , A PERMIT
WOULD BE WHAT WE NEED TO FURTHER OUR HOBBY ,TO BRING THINGS FROM THE PAST( HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS ) TO DISPLAY. THIS IS A SMALL PRICE TO
PAY FOR A PERMIT, OR YOU CAN MAKE THE CALL TO A" BAIL BONDSMAN"
AND LOOSE YOUR METAL DETECTOR, RELICS, COINS, AND YOUR LAWYERS MONEY WHEN YOU LOSE THE CASE........I DON'T MEAN TO BE NEGITIVE IN NO
WAY... I WOULD PAY $20.00 EVEN $ 50.00 TO HAVE THE RIGHTS TO METAL DETECT THESE PLACES.....

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Why do you have to use CAPS? Cool it already.

If a permit is required, it doesn't necessarily have to cost anything. I am required to have a permit to harvest foliage or fruits on State land. You go in and fill out a little form, Dept of Land and Natural Resources keeps the original and I walk out with the carbon copy. The permit is good for the "day" that I selected. That being said, the laws are not really enforced, so some go berry picking without permits. I would not pay for a permit to to berry picking or to metal detect in a park.

OP
OP
mlhudson

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
True, people skate and play soccer and even more outdoor activities using parks. There are state parks that charge a fee to come thru the gate . We pay to go camping
,hiking,day-use,even to park your car. We still pay these fees, with no question about
how much. Seems that when it comes down to it, you"ll pay or do with out.( metal detect ). The problem starts with not saying nothing when you had the chance.It's
not a problem now, but it comes to be one how would you feel having to pay a fine,
jail time, or worst having all your local shut down because you did'nt get a permit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread