OP
mlhudson

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
COOL COIN :thumbsup:

Just think if your state called that great find, contraband - historical artifact. Don't
be surprised when it happens.. remember that if your off shore ,say gulf coast.
You pay for what is called ( SALVAGE RECOVERY LICENCE ) to retrive "treasure"
from the bottem of the ocean. There is diffenitive answer, but to issue some type
of permit. Yes, it would probly coat the pocket of some city official. But in the end
all are happy they get there fee, and we get to detect without the a hassel. It's really
about "rights" and "privileges" of the american freedom.

OP
OP
mlhudson

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
FOR YOUR INFO= GO TO THE FORUM CALLED { LEGAL ISSUES } IN THE INDEX.
THERE ARE A LOT PEOPLE WITH SAME PROBLEM IN THERE NECK OF THE WOODS. MOST ARE UNAWARE OF CERTAIN LAWS AND REGULATIONS CONCERNING METAL DETECTING. WITH THE USE OF A PERMIT YOU WOULD BE
HOLDING YOUR END OF THE " CODE OF ETHICS ". KINDA LIKE MORALES AND STANDARDS. SOME WITH AND WITHOUT. PERMITS DON'T SOUND GOOD BUT
FACT STILL REMAINS YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DRIVE A CAR. START WALKING AND TELL ME YOU DON'T MISS THAT CAR.WITHOUT THAT DRIVING PERMIT
YOUR FOOT'EN IT, NONE THE LESS.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd pay a fee if it were a blanket fee that allowed me access to the Pa State Gamelands, and State parks.

A local park, as others mentioned, is out of the question. You pay local taxes and that taxes pay for your local services.
In part, that includes your local park maintainance.

Now if they want to charge a fee, again, as others have mentioned, they'd have to charge specific user fees to everyone or it is discriminatory.

If they insisted on charging me to specifically metal detect, i'd hope they maintain my coin fields and restock them with some good, healthy silver.

A permit to berry pick? Really?
Al

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
how long would the permit be good for one day week year 5 years?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
deepskyal said:
I'd pay a fee if it were a blanket fee that allowed me access to the Pa State Gamelands, and State parks.

A local park, as others mentioned, is out of the question. You pay local taxes and that taxes pay for your local services.
In part, that includes your local park maintainance.

Now if they want to charge a fee, again, as others have mentioned, they'd have to charge specific user fees to everyone or it is discriminatory.

If they insisted on charging me to specifically metal detect, i'd hope they maintain my coin fields and restock them with some good, healthy silver.

A permit to berry pick? Really?
Al

let them instate the fee and then sue `em for discrimination! ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Was working a playground while the head of playgrounds was inspecting gang graffiti and vandal work one morning and I showed him the busted glass, nails and junk I recovered from those sites I had been to just that day, he's on my side on this. We've got no problem locally because some of the council folk in town have seen me and talked to me and know better. I've saved them money just from the barefoot kids that haven't been cut, stabbed or poked and wound up in the already overflowing emergency rooms in this town, thanks to the FREE HEALTH CARE available there for uninsured people whose older kids leave sharp broken objects laying around the palygrounds.

The State is another animal, Illinois State Parks are at the discretion of the state Archie, and the local park super. Some don't care, some require a permit, permits are free where they apply but also may limit search areas, some are completely off limits. A state conservation cop once "caught" me detecting a state park nearby and said it was a illegal, of course I quoted the statute the officer was unaware of and informed the officer that this site was okayed while the the other nearby park was off limits and asked for a list of off limit parks which of course was not available. I was not contentious or objectionable, just matter of fact and casual, no problem resulted and I resumed digging.

The Feds are just plain idiotic, we go to all the trouble to return lost money to circulation for them, between us that's hundreds of thousands of coins they don't have to re-strike or replace yearly, and in their eyes this should represent income to be taxed. They should be paying us. Should get a lobby to give MD'ers a tax break dependent on coins returned to circulation, want to see the hobby grow out of control? Sell that idea to the MFR's... What other hobby actually SAVES the government money EVERY time it's practiced? One more reason to NEVER report or even speak of any significant finds here or anywhere.

Don't get me going man.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Hell I pay $10 for beach parking sometimes and that is just for the day. I would pay 5-10 for a permit.!!!
:walk:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Rob66 said:
Hell I pay $10 for beach parking sometimes and that is just for the day. I would pay 5-10 for a permit.!!!

keep in mind that everyone else on the beach also paid the same fee. thats not what we are talking about here. here, they are saying only you have to pay.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOCAL
PARK AND PLAYGROUNDS ?

Zero, Zilch, Nada !

I'v already Hammerd them to death.
I'd just move on.
and even if I didn't, there ain't enough local parks
with a History
to make me intrested.

If it were to hunt all PA State game Lands $100.00 per year.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
ok i think we are missing the point he is trying to make....it isnt whether or not you agree with the permit..... it looks like it is gonna happen whether we want it or not..... i think the question is ....if your city made you get a permit, what is the most you would pay for the yearly permit? .....this isnt something i want either ....but he seems to think they are gonna make us get a permit....and this is a very old city and if i HAVE to i will buy the permit....if you would rather just go dig without the permit then refer back to our MD code of ethics.....it would fall under the "Always get permission"....thank you for listening...thats my say so on the matter

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Marty-Graw said:
ok i think we are missing the point he is trying to make....it isnt whether or not you agree with the permit..... it looks like it is gonna happen whether we want it or not..... i think the question is ....if your city made you get a permit, what is the most you would pay for the yearly permit? .....this isnt something i want either ....but he seems to think they are gonna make us get a permit....and this is a very old city and if i HAVE to i will buy the permit....if you would rather just go dig without the permit then refer back to our MD code of ethics.....it would fall under the "Always get permission"....thank you for listening...thats my say so on the matter

easy....$0! it is discrimination to charge one group of park goers and not another. hell, its probably illegal! if you settle for this crap now and go down without a fight, you will be settling for the same BS later on down the road...and that is a promise. if you don't stand up and fight this nonsense no one else is going to. if you choose to be victimized then i guess that's your business, but you asked my opinion, and i would choose to fight it.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at it like this, hunting and fishing license is what? $20-40 a year in some states. Each state charges different fees. If they want to issue permits for $5-10 a year to go onto areas that we CAN NOT detect now. I think it would be worth it. Most parks in the cities that I have been to generally charge $5 during the week and some $8-10 for the weekend and that is JUST FOR 1 DAY! Some disagree with paying a fee, but if it ALLOWS you to detect parks and such that now they WON'T ALLOW you to do so, then thinking about it most if ALL of us would pay, especially if we can detect those parks and such where we gain more money found than what was spent for a permit for the year, this is SOLELY PROVIDING we get to KEEP what we find. I live outside of Austin, Texas there are MANY CITY and STATE parks here that we Metal Detectorists KNOW we could RACK UP in finds. I know that the state is thinking about us being able to detect here as our local detector club is bringing up the facts to representatives and they are working on issues and we won't know anything until later this year if they pass the law. We have BIG parks and lake areas that are full of people all year round.

If you think about it like I said, I can probably state for fact, that most or all of us find more than $10 a year in clad, so paying a SMALL fee to detect isn't much with findings unless you find nothing whenever you go out. Grant, I am NOT for raising taxes and paying any more money to the bureaucrats. If you see my statement at the bottom of my posting you can understand how I feel towards our government. But if one lives in places that don't have big city parks or places that will not allow you to detect, then I see NO USE in paying a fee, but if one lives close by to big major parks, etc, then that is another story.

But, I as I said, I WOULDN'T pay more than $10.00

OP
OP
mlhudson

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
THANK YOU , M - G .

I NEVER WANTED TO EVERY ONE ALL RALIED UP. BUT STILL REMAINS, WOULD TOY PAY TO METAL DETECT YOUR LOCAL & STATE PARKS. NO PUN INTENDED.
THERE IS ENOUGH NEGITIVE THOUGHTS ABOUT OUR HOBBY. SOME FIND IT
A WORTH WHILE CAUSE, AND OTHERS SHEAR DISGRACE TO PROPERTY. I FOR
ONE TRY TO A " ADVACATE FOR THE HOBBY", I TRY TO DO THE RIGHT THING.
ALWAYS GET PERMISSION. NO TRASH, NO HOLES, ETC.. BUT I WOULD OBAY
THE LAW IF IT SAID " PLEASE PURCHASE A PERMIT" AND I WOULD GET ONE.
PLEASE TRY TO BE ADVACATES NOT " THE ENAMY"

THANK YOU ALL FOR VEIWS AND OPINIONS

M L HUDSON

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Rob66 said:

I won't even pay that....I go before 10am when parking is FREE and if I don't make it by 10am....I only have to pay $1.00 with a local addy on my DL.....but I refuse to pay for parking if I can help it.....and actually, the only time I go to the beach is to metal detect....too many tourists and traffic is such a bear!!!!!!! The beach is better before Memorial Day and after Labor Day :) ....when I came to VB in 1978....there were LOTS of PARKING and NO CHARGE!!!

I will give up metal detecting if I am required to PAY to use a PUBLIC PLACE whereas, bicylists, skateboarders, ball players, etc can use them for free. I stand my ground....

Virginia Beach is such the money grubbing city and will charge you a fee just for thinking about going to the beach!!!! Heck, you can't even drive down Atlantic Ave anymore without getting a ticket if you drive more than once each way....they will see you on the cameras. Virginia Beach is for TOURISTS, not LOCALS!!!! (Ask the locals!!!)

So No...I would not pay a PENNY for a permit.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hollowpointred said:
Marty-Graw said:

easy....$0! it is discrimination to charge one group of park goers and not another. hell, its probably illegal! if you settle for this crap now and go down without a fight, you will be settling for the same BS later on down the road...and that is a promise. if you don't stand up and fight this nonsense no one else is going to. if you choose to be victimized then i guess that's your business, but you asked my opinion, and i would choose to fight it.

Yeah. I didn't miss the point. If they insisted on a permit I'd agree as long as it was free or I'd be hunting elsewhere. Zero. Zip. Nada. Not one red cent. Unless they're going to begin a stocking program like the game departments do for fishermen who have to buy licenses. Seed that park with Walking Liberties and then we'll talk permit fee.

I'd also insist parents would need a permit for kids to dig in the sand box if it was just a case of soil disturbance. You either allow MD or you don't. But charging for it is unacceptable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread