And just a reminder-
caps_lock.jpg

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
By agreeing to pay a fee, you are agreeing to being regulated by some entity that knows next to nothing about what you do. Also, I may add, they will be influenced by people with no beforehand knowledge of metal detecting, but are damn sure against it.

So they will set the rules you will have to abide by, under penalty of ticketing, fines, etc.

All paid for with your tax dollars and "permit" fees.

Keep it simple. Keep it fair. Keep it out of the limelight. Bring your club members to town hall meetings and city council meetings, if thats what it takes. If you care that much, you should have no problem doing so.

But do not agree to fees to recreate just the same as anyone else who enjoys the park.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
You guys who would pay the fee are forgetting your American history.   Aren't you?    We were not meant to be ruled by government, we were meant to rule government.    Hold your ground, don't pay no stinking fees.   

I am NOT forgetting my American history, but look at what the government has turned out to be. If you want to know about what MINE, YOURS, and OTHERS government is doing and plan on doing, research Council on Foreign Relations you will learn a lot. The government is going to do what they want to do regardless of what we think. Look at fuel prices, Exxon made over $460 BILLION in profits last year, so explain that one. What are the American people doing about it besides gripping to each other about it? This example of one reason I WON'T BUY Exxon gasoline. Where are ALL the AMERICAN people going to Washington and protesting about it? American history and rights are ALMOST ALL GONE and within the next 20 years NO ONE will have rights except those who come into our country who hate us! Look at where American jobs are going, look who is coming into our good ole USA and getting free money to be set up in businesses who DOES'T have to pay taxes, etc. It's our tax dollars who pay for it, what breaks do we get? NADA! I don't see or hear of any AMERICAN people standing up and voting against it. Is that what our forefathers voted for, NO! The American people have A LOT more LIGITIMATE gripes to change what the laws are regarding AMERICANS, ie, jobs, illegal aliens taking our jobs, welfare for those who refuse to work, handing out money to foreignors who hate us and them getting government grant hand outs and not pay taxes for at least 7 years, etc, etc, and I could go on and on, but do we do it? NO, WHY? Well evidently we are not sticking together to change the laws! Don't know about you, but I can speak for myself, is PI%^$ES me off that my tax dollars are going to freeloaders. Also, in about 20 years or more or less, Social Security will be NON-EXISTANT, what are you going to do about all the money you had taken out for SSN for ALL the 20-30 years your worked for only to have OUR GOVERNMENT make it NO LONGER in exisitance and you don't get YOUR money YOU paid in? We all know it is coming!

Some of us who would pay a small fee to detect in the city would probably pay for the surrounding parks, etc, that has not allowed metal detecting. I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN MY AMERICAN HISTORY, but it is a SHAME what this country is leading to. I SERVE my country in the armed forces and after 18 years of service, I can't wait until 5 months when I get out for good, but that is another story. As far as permits go, here where I live our local MDing clubs are working with the politicians on the laws and what the law should and be stated. If you think that the law will pass and you have not been a part of what the exact law should be in your area and not participate by sitting at home wondering what the verdict is, then you evidently didn't do much on your end.

I don't want to seen like I am attacking you, but before you state, "forgetting your American history" Look at your own life and see what YOU have done to KEEP AMERICAN HISTORY of what OUR forefathers voted for and explain what you fought for as rights go! If you hunt, if you fish, you bought a permit right? Does your husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, or anyone in your family hunt or fish? Bet the permits state how much game you can get, and I bet they pay for it don't they, so therefore, IT IS REGULATED! Have a good day!

OP
OP
mlhudson

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
HELLO ONCE AGAIN,
THIS I'LL SAY AGAIN " RIGHTS" & " PRIVILLEGES ". YOU ARE GIVEN RIGHTS,
YOU EARN PRIVILLEGES. SOME FOLKS JUST DON'T GET IT. THEY TAKE FOR
GRANTED THE LITTLE THINGS WE LIKE ( METAL DETECTING, HUNTING, FISHING
DRIVING ETC...SOME CAN'T SEEM TO PUT IN PROSPECTIVE THE REAL MATTER AT HAND - IT'S A SMALL PRICE TO FOR A PIECE OF MIND.THE TROUBLE WITH PEOPLE IS THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE DO. SOME CALL IT COOL,INTRESTING. THEN YOU HAVE THEM THAT WANT TO STOP IT ALL TOGATHER. IT WAS'NT UNTIL 7 YEARS AGO THAT THIS BECAME AN ISSUE WITH LOCAL GOVERMENT. ALL BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WOULD
HENDER PARK GOERS WHEN THEY ARE THERE. THE BEST I CAN TELL ALL OF YOU IS " SPEAK YOUR MIND TO LOCAL GOVERMENT,SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT
THE HOBBY IN A GOOD WAY. ALL OF YOU THAT SAID " I WON'T PAY FOR A
PERMIT". YOU SHOULD FIND A BAIL BONDESMAN IN YOUR TOWN.. OTHER
WISE YOU'LL BE LEFT AT HOME WATCHING THE GOLD PROSPECTORS OF AMERICA SHOW - LOL .

THANKS TO ALL THAT POST::

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
TheHarleyMan2, you're preaching to the choir (or at least one member of the choir) when you direct all your grievances at me. I'm the one who spends time in the politics forum discussing the very same points you raise here. Where are you? I'm the one who wants people to stand up and refuse to pay draconian fees and taxes. I vote, I write letters, and I make phone calls. Do you? I fought tooth and nail to stop the amnesty bill. Did you?

I know all about the CFR, SPP, NAU, ad nauseam. So before you jump all over me about my statements here, maybe you should check my background and see that I'm on YOUR side. Don't attack me, I support the Constititution and the Bill of Rights. I'm one of those "bitter" gun-toting, Bible-thumping small town folks that Obama ridiculed recently. I'm a lifetime member of the NRA. I'm a retired person trying to live on a small fixed income who believes I'll never see a cent of the money I was forced to pay into Social Security.

Thanks for your service to OUR country. But you need to keep in mind that you're not the only one who serves - "they also serve who stand and wait."

I have to buy a fishing license in order to maintain the trout populations in the streams and lakes. I have to buy a hunting license in order to maintain viable herds and open spaces. I DON"T need to get a permit to hunt in parks while others (including illegal aliens) are doing more damage than I am. If you think you should get a permit for metal detecting just as you need a license for hunting or fishing, then YOU are part of the problem, not me. If you can't see the differences, no wonder this country is screwed.

Hello TT,
I didn't mean for you to feel I am or was attacking you. As to your first question. I just joined this site a couple of months ago so I haven't had much time to get into political discussions as I jsut got back this past Sunday from training at Fort Polk, La. I have been able to get online here while I was at my training site at Fort Polk, but it has limited me to certain lengthy discussions. When it DOES come to political issues that concerns me, I DO VOICE my oppions, and votes where it concerns where I live, (which is in Pflugerville, outside of Austin, Texas). I don't like paying taxes and if you read the signature on the bottom of my post you can get an idea how I feel about taxes and such and the rest of the country where it concerns, MY MONEY that the government uses WITHOUT MY CONSENT! As far as the amnesty bill, YES, I am against it and fought tooth and nail as well! Why do you think I made in my signature if I was president on closing the borders?

I as well am a gun toten, gun owner and collector, I am ALSO a member of the NRA, Endoument, Benifactor, and Life member as well, want me to show you my placks? I am GLAD you are ON MY SIDE as we ALL need to STAND TOGETHER and FIGHT our government!!!! OBAMA nor HILLARY will get ANY of MY VOTES!

I know it is sad with elderly people on how much money they get on SSN. I have ALSO, sent letters to our government on those concerns. I am also self employed which I filed with the IRS NOT to pay into SSN. I can't control on the military deduction on SSN as they deduct it anyway, (regardless of what I filed with the IRS, go firgure!) The reason is by the time I retire, (I am 45 years old), SSN will most likely not exist. I believe that is someone has worked all thier lives and paid into SSN, lets say, $75,000.00. with the interest the government is making the elderly should be getting more than $3,000.00 a month. But, all this leads down to one thing, OUR GOVERNMENT has fallen to CRAP!!!!! The rich get richer and the poor get poorer! It is a DANG SHAME!

Thank you, I always loved my country and I used to want to be a 30 year veteran. Over the past few years it went from 30-20, and now I can't wait to get out. I am not affraid of dying. I been to alomsot every conflict since 1989 and I have spent ALL my carreer in Special Operations. I am tired of the political crap on what I have to get permission to take someones like ONLY IF THEY SHOOT FIRST!, Most of the time we are able to do our jobs, But certain areas where public population is we haev to get permission. I will give you an example. You see someone, (that is certainly identified as a combatant) carrying an RPG, and there is 1-3 others with them carrying AK-47's and we have to wait and watch, ONLY if they are pointing their weapons as us and fire first. Some of the times we see just 1 person carrying an RPG, but we haev to get permission to take him out!

As far as getting permits for anything, I vote against it and I am NOT for buying or paying anymore to our government. But here in Austin the Austin Metal Detecting Club here, (which I am going to be a member of), as I was unable to go to their meetings to join as I was in training, I won't be able to join them as I will be back at Fort Polk, La for the whole month of May. I have spoken through e-mail to Blaine who is the secretary of AMDC and explained that I can not come to the meetings yet as Uncle Sam has me for the time being to prevent me from attending at the time and he understands that as well as the administrator Cecil.

Everyone has their oppinions, the government is going to do what they want in most cases regardless of the small few who protest them! In MY OPPION as well as others here in the club, we don't want to have to pay for permits, but if the city is telling us they will allow us to detect with purchasing permits for the city parks around here some are with it, just to let us on the parks, etc, some are against it. The club here is doing everything they can, (I have even sent letters to elected officials as I was unable to attend any of the hearings) on the subject of metal detecting here. To me, if they want us to purchase a $5 or $10 permit for a year to gain access to detect in the parks in the county area that ARE NOW off limits to detecting, I see no problem with it if it can get us access to the parks, etc, that are NOW off limits. I agree, that other sports and activities does more damage that we to when it comes to property. Liter and vandalizm is a big problem here. Which I am sure you already know. Most people don't give a rats butt what they do to trash up areas. It is sad!

If you think that because if I agree to pay for a permit and thinking "I am part of the problem" evidently you don't know me that well! I can voice my oppinion here on how I feel on the subject, but it would be one long post! We all have to come to some sort of medium with our government when it comes to laws. I can stand up and fight my protest on fuel prices, taxes, etc, etc. Yes, my voice gets heard, but do you think the government officials higher up want me to quit lining their silk lined pockets? No, they look at us as infearior people who they can suck the blood out of us.

I didn't mean to make you feel I was fully attacking you. I should haev broken it down from the first post so you wouldn't think I was fully putting it on you. The rest of teh stuff i haev mentioned was to the rest of us here. There are a lot of people in the U.S. who no nothing about where are government is leading to, but yet people just sit here and wait on this continent until they die.

Well, I am going to quit now so PEACE between me and you. Like I said I wasn't generally attacking you, but it just got to me a bit when you stated, those who would pay for permits do not know about our American History and after an hour after reading it, I had to reply. I know much about American History. Sometimes I feel like I live in the wrong lifetime.

Any way, have a good day and like I said.........PEACE and understand my side I am NOT FULLY for the government!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more comment on e permit situation, I think deep down it boils down to how big your city is and how many parks are there. I think that little towns with small population of a few thousand or less, then I wouldn't agree to paying for permits. But like here in hte Austin area alone we have many large parks and waterways. Which Austin has a population of over 1.2 million just in Austin alone. This doesn't include the surounding city areas which this area is growing, partly because of Dell and the computer industry. Now the surrounding towns, you can detect in any parks around them without any hassle. Austin will not allow detecting, but if tey pass the law requiring us to purchase a permit for a year for the county parks, then it is each to his own on what they feel would be fair. Everyone has their oppinions on what we would consider fair. You get more with sugar than vineger. yes, we do haev to educate our officials. But those who have been lucky enough to find valuable tressures gets all the uneducated officials to think we are tearing up the landscape and gaining valuable treasures. Some of them are way out of their leagues as far as education on our hobby.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
mlhudson said:
HELLO ONCE AGAIN,
DRIVING ETC...SOME CAN'T SEEM TO PUT IN PROSPECTIVE THE REAL MATTER AT HAND - IT'S A SMALL PRICE TO FOR A PIECE OF MIND.THE TROUBLE WITH PEOPLE IS THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE DO. SOME CALL IT COOL,INTRESTING. THEN YOU HAVE THEM THAT WANT TO STOP IT ALL TOGATHER. IT WAS'NT UNTIL 7 YEARS AGO THAT THIS BECAME AN ISSUE WITH LOCAL GOVERMENT. ALL BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WOULD
HENDER PARK GOERS WHEN THEY ARE THERE. THE BEST I CAN TELL ALL OF YOU IS " SPEAK YOUR MIND TO LOCAL GOVERMENT,SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT
WISE YOU'LL BE LEFT AT HOME WATCHING THE GOLD PROSPECTORS OF AMERICA SHOW - LOL .

i never said i would detect without a permit, only that i wouldnt pay for one. i dont recommend breaking any laws, and i agree that we should paint the hobby in a good light by the way we handle ourselves. now by the same token i dont recommend laying down and letting the powers that be walk all over us either. we have as much right to enjoy our hobby in the park as anyone else. it sounds like you have already accepted the idea of paying a fee to use the park and that is your own business, even if i dont understand it. :wink: good luck with everything and i hope you find a lot of stuff.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALL OF YOU THAT SAID " I WON'T PAY FOR A

no, i'll just boycott the parks and hunt elsewhere that I can with permission and maybe write a few letters reminding folks before the next town elections.

we had a local county park in town that decided to charge an enterance fee (for everyone). after one year it was again free as the attendance just about fell off to zero. people went to places it was free to walk a dog or toss a frisbee.

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Well it seems that everything cost money now.Are national parks are not for everyone,just those that have the money to pay the fees! I volunteer my time because
I love the land.I helped in the C.C.C. for years cleared fire breaks,made trails,and lots of back breaking labor.But not anymore! After getting a ticket for parking in a campground for a walk. They wanted me to buy an adventure pass.The ranger's don't own the forrest we do!WE THE PEOPLE! but we better start doing something about the fees now!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
mlhudson said:
HELLO ONCE AGAIN,

Just for the heck of it, here it is once again-

caps_lock.jpg

Attachments

• caps_lock.jpg
    caps_lock.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 158

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Charlie P. (NY) said:
ALL OF YOU THAT SAID " I WON'T PAY FOR A

no, i'll just boycott the parks and hunt elsewhere that I can with permission and maybe write a few letters reminding folks before the next town elections.

we had a local county park in town that decided to charge an enterance fee (for everyone). after one year it was again free as the attendance just about fell off to zero. people went to places it was free to walk a dog or toss a frisbee.

konnon6 said:
Well it seems that everything cost money now.Are national parks are not for everyone,just those that have the money to pay the fees! I volunteer my time because
I love the land.I helped in the C.C.C. for years cleared fire breaks,made trails,and lots of back breaking labor.But not anymore! After getting a ticket for parking in a campground for a walk. They wanted me to buy an adventure pass.The ranger's don't own the forrest we do!WE THE PEOPLE! but we better start doing something about the fees now!

Seems we have an answer to that!.......

However there is a snag. If you really want to ban something, you don't go after everybody, just single out one group at a time and make them pay fees. It's much easier that way. One small group at a time. Not many voices to be heard all at once.

First the metal detectors, then the dog walkers, then the picnickers, then the people who have the audacity to let their children play in the parks! Hey, what about the people who occasionally play field sports?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread