Whats For Dinner?

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What's For Dinner?

This is the traditional Yorkshire pudding recipe, it is only a basic batter mixture but it's the way you cook it that makes it abit different.

100g (4 ozs of PLAIN flour)
pinch of salt.
1 egg
250 mls (half a pint of milk, or milk and water)
15 g (half an ounce of fat

Put your flour in a large basin or blender, making a hollow for the egg in the middle, gradually mix in the flour salt and milk until the flour is worked in... BEAT WELL.
Now the secret is to heat your fat in the oven until it is smoking hot. Use a largish tin or oven proof dish. when your fat is smoking hot, pour in the mixture and bake for 20 mins on gas mark 8, or 230c, or 450f on a shelf near the top of the oven.

I would be very interested to hear how it turns out for you if you decide to make it.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldie1959 said:
THANK YOU !! I will make it this week end :notworthy:

Please let me know how it turns out! Pics, too!
I'm always looking for new ideas!

Best wishes,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Same ole thing as last night. No glory or glamour here....
However, leftovers can achieve flavors that are best appreciated after the ingredients are left to permeate for later consumption after a day or two! :thumbsup: (that's my story and I'm convincing myself of this fact.)
Except for the pop tarts.
Maybe a handful of half price valentine chocholates purchased on Feb. 15 instead.....

Best,
Scott

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

We made a huge pot of chili this weekend so that what we've been having mostly. Tonight the leftover chili is getting froze and we are having corn beef roast with a spicy mustard glaze bacon wrapped asparagus and scalloped potato's.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used

Corned beef is glazed and in the oven, asparagus is wrapped and ready. Heartburn city here I come, for some reason corned beef gives me a bad case everytime but it's one of my families favorites.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AU24K said:
UGH!
Leftovers again!
Y'all know how hard it can be cookin' for one?

Gotta remember not to eat anything that's fluorescent, green or has fuzz....... :tongue3:

Best,
Scott
Hey! Ya gotta live life dangerously once in a while! As long as it doesn't look like a science project gone wrong it might be good! Remember if all else fails, spit it out & head to Mickey Ds ;D

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Made a mistake one time and ate some "slick' bologna. Once.

Hmmmm, wonder how long THIS bologna has been in the fridge......

Best,
Scott

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chili beans or eggs an a few others you never fix when your going to sleep in a tent with someone !! :tongue3:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

It seems that most all chilli dishes go down well in the US, not too sure about before sleeping in a tent with your partner is wise.. ;D. for me..well chillie dishes have to be kinda on the mild side, which is strange really, cause I do like curries. They go down literally with a bang (scuse the pun) over here in GB. We have got so many Indian restaurants. I think a vindaloo curry is about the hotest you can eat, but again I have to eat the milder ones.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you have many BBQ or Mexican place in GB ? Here tons of them an Pizza but in the mid section where I am not much Indian, Thai an such ....

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used

I love Indian, Thai, Chinese, BBQ, Mexican, Japanese. In all honesty I have never eaten food I don't like, except spam but I will if I have too.

We live in a small town that got it's first Chinese restaurant a few years back and any time I say we are having Chinese the old timers say "well you must like eating cats and dogs",I always tell them that I don't know what kind of meat it is but if it is cat and dog they do a darn good job on the seasoning.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

Wild Harvester and Mental Granny. We do have a few Mexican eating places. We seem to go more for the Indian, Thai, Chinese, and Italian. We do have pizza parlours, but I haven't seen a place that does bbq, there could be some, probably in London maybe. Alot depends on our weather over here, but when the weather is nice, bbq's are really taking off in a big way. It's nice to sit out in your back garden enjoying a bbq, that's when..... it's not raining lol. It's really only been in the last few years that we have started to copy the US with bbq's, but they have become really popular.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To a purist, there is a major difference between true BBQ
and backyard "grilling." I like both! :thumbsup:

I like Indian cuisine, but it is very hard to find an establishment that serves it. I sometimes dabble with ingredients to try to create that taste of India. Not much luck.... :-\

Just finished making a pot of potato soup. Will have cheeseburgers and a bowl of soup later.

Best,
Scott

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

What is the difference then Scott between backyard grilling and a bbq? silly question probably but I thought they were one and the same.. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The major difference between BBQ and backyard grilling is the amount of cooking time involved.

True BBQ is more commonly SLOW cooked for hours, also some are smoked.
Backyard grilling is all about getting the dogs and burgers cooked quickly to keep everyone happy as soon as possible.

Also, there are the more common cuts of meat that are BBQ'ed such as ribs, brisket, etc. that are best prepared the slow cook method.
Dogs and burgers and more simpler items are usually grilled.

Best Wishes,
Scott

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

My first instinct to your post Scott was to gasp...thinking......Oh my goodness you cook dogs :laughing7: I immediately realized that you meant... hot dogs. It was just an immediate reaction... because we don't shorten the word hotdogs over here, in fact this is the first time I have heard it. Sorry, now I shall be laughing at myself all evening. :laughing9:

You are quite right about subtle flavours tho, the foreign restaurants seem to just manage to get the right amount of spices in without one overpowering the other.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used

Unicorn said:
My first instinct to your post Scott was to gasp...thinking......Oh my goodness you cook dogs :laughing7: I immediately realized that you meant... hot dogs. It was just an immediate reaction... because we don't shorten the word hotdogs over here, in fact this is the first time I have heard it. Sorry, now I shall be laughing at myself all evening. :laughing9:

You are quite right about subtle flavours tho, the foreign restaurants seem to just manage to get the right amount of spices in without one overpowering the other.

Some people even call them "wieners" here in the U.S.

I'll bet your jaw just dropped on that one.

Ask Scott about "Rocky Mountain oysters".

I'll give you a hint, it isn't seafood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread