Whats the strangest thing you have found Metal Detecting?

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The goat head reminded me of this...... Out in Olympia Washington several years ago I was detecting a park along the beach and found a deer head with the antlers sawed off. It was covered in little tiny crabs so I had no idea what it was until I walked up on it and they scuttled away. A few weeks later in the same area I saw a bald eagle eating a possum on the beach. That one was pretty neat, I was within 20 feet of the eagle and it didn't seem to even care that was watching it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another interesting find I had a few years ago, also on the beach, was a "hooker kit". I dug down a foot or so and found a gaudy beaded purse with a brass clasp (the reason for the signal). Inside was a tube of purple lipstick, a marijuana joint, a tube of KY jelly, and 6 condoms.

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found a lot of metal Condom containers over the years, old ones. The most common is "3 MERRY WIDOWS AGNES MABEL VICKIE". This past summer one of my German friends found a condom container marked "PARIS NO RIP" While we were hunting a Napoleonic Battlefield (Make love, not war?). But the really strangest thing was a metal container about a hundred years old marked.... "MIDOL For Women"

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I and several friends were at a mountain pass high in the Korean mountains. I got a signal, threw a couple layers of rock off, and found a hornets nest......
killed them with my gloved hands as they came out of their underground nest. Don't know how many I killed, but they finally quit coming out of their nest.
Never did find what set my machine off.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark said:
Another interesting find I had a few years ago, also on the beach, was a "hooker kit". I dug down a foot or so and found a gaudy beaded purse with a brass clasp (the reason for the signal). Inside was a tube of purple lipstick, a marijuana joint, a tube of KY jelly, and 6 condoms.

Did you keep it for yourself or was the ky outdated?? LMAO

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Is this one dead yet? No, I mean the thread, not the body I have wrapped in aluminum foil buried balls deep in my back yard. That would be cool to find. Certainly one of the bestest most coolest strangest finds imaginable. It might happen.

OMG Gleaner....that's creepy

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you keep it for yourself or was the ky outdated?? LMAO
I took it straight to the trash can.....then went and washed my hands before digging in the "clean" ground again!

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
My strangest find - I was hunting sidewalk tear-out dirt which is dumped near the cemetery in my town. I found a stone with two short iron rods sticking out of it. I dug at it for a while and realised it was a tombstone burried upsidedown. Now the wierd part, it had my first and last name on it. The middle initial was different. Not a relative. Freaked me out. DD

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, digging your own grave stone would be the weirdest find I can imagine!

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on the same hunt out behind an 1800's Church Site. A lower dental partial. Had to be old because of the silver metal. Donated it to my good MD'ing friend. This was a long time ago when silver wasn't all that expensive. The other odd thing was a buried green plaid winter jacket. MD hit it because there was a small stubby straight slot screw driver in one of the pockets. It was defiantly buried with about eight inches of dirt covering it. Talk about spooky, my first thought was it's a body. I poked it with a strong stick, then opened the hole bigger, them more poking with the stick. When a sleeve was exposed with no arm or hand showing I just jerked it out. It was in pretty bad shape. I hung it on a limb and continued to hit the area hard finding nothing more of interest.

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Strangest thing I detected was a giant chain. Steel, links weBeeere at least three inchest long and 3/8 inch thick stock. I think it was close to 20 feet long. Weighed a ton. Strange part is I didn't dig it.
I was hinting pld 1850s farm house. Once I was done hunting, I threw my detector over my shoulder and started walking home. As I passed under a tree I got a signal. I thought my sad found something but it wasn't him. I walked under tree again. BEEP! Chain was in the tree. I climbed up and threw it down and dragged it home. I think that chain is still in the old shed.
Can't figure out who had the power to throw it in that tree tho. Each link must weigh close to half pound.

Beefy, when I was a teenager, I helped a friend of mine do some logging in the winter. We had this tree that was felled months ago, iced to the ground. The chain was wrapped around the end, the other on a farm tractor. He was jerking it trying to get it loose. The snap was not loud at all, but all you saw was a blur of the chain going up through the woods, no idea on how far it went. That was a lesson. The chain was easily ten to fifteen feet in the air and heading over the ridgetop.

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I borrowed a MD from a co-worker back in '76 and was just playing with it in my back yard and suddenly it went crazy with the tones.. I thought I'd hit the motherlode of treasures so I started digging and down about 8-10 inches I hit metal, large metal, so I just kept digging and digging and by the time I had finished digging I had a hole in my backyard about 12 inches deep and about 2 1/2 feet wide and pulled out an old steel drum lid that was buried there. I took the MD back to my friend and haven't picked up one since. But now I'm in the process of buying my first one, a Garrett Ace 350 now that I'm retired to get back into the hobby...... :BangHead:

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My strangest find was at a local middle school, a 38 snub nose revolver................(capgun after further investigation) but its a nice old toy you know the ones that weren't cheap plastic crap like now, it looked very real, and I am a gunsmith by trade....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strangest find was at a local middle school, a 38 snub nose revolver................(capgun after further investigation) but its a nice old toy you know the ones that weren't cheap plastic crap like now, it looked very real, and I am a gunsmith by trade....

Yeah, those old cap guns sure looked real. I dug a toy derringer that I thought was real until I got it completely cleaned and then realized something was "wrong" with the barrel. Perfect size and weight, and they actually fired a plastic bullet.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petrie502 said:

image-1294415980.jpg

Here's 1 found at a sand park

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
see lower left item nuff said
4-3-2010.jpg

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were not metal detecting we were on our way to explore a old house that had fallen in on a large Island the state had just bought. There were a couple guys shooting up an old junk car and stopped to watch and help. Once they left we looked in the car and there was a half case of dynamite on the back seat. Scared us so we abandoned the search for the old house. We probably came close to getting blown up as the dynamite was frozen and old the shock of getting shot may have set it off. 22 sticks would make a really big blast and turned the car into a big frag. The island had been a private hunt club and was farmed was about 300 acres. I think the caretaker was using the TNT to blow stumps and just left it when they sold the island. It was a neat island had a amusment park on it in the 30s and some older houses. Was supposedly a stop on the underground railway and I know someone who found a CSA half dollar on the island in a plowed field. I would love to MD there now but live 2000 miles away now.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say that had potential to be a sucky ass day with the dynamite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions