Whats wrong with Bounty Hunter M/D ers?

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
thank you montana jim I have sent you a pm..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
jeff of pa said:
only problem I have with them
is they are sold By Stores
Like Wallmart & Radio shack with
absolutely No Info on the Proper
use.

They often don't NEED mounds of instruction, they have instructional videos, and are sold in volumn at outlet stores which no-doubt helps keep cost lower. I'm convinced that "detector elitist" think this is a low-budget therefore "cheap" way to enjoy the hobby, but I venture it's the machine most folks use now, or to get started with in the hobby.

I learned to detect with my Dad in the 70s and have used BH machines almost exclusively... so while I cannot speak to most brands, I can at least champion the brand many discount for various reasons.

If they (BH) do anything wrong, it's that they don't sponsor this site - that's too bad. I can say that since it's my opinion and I am not a paid sponsor... right Jeff? :D

I Was speaking more on the lines of Proper Digging Techniques,
& Suggestions on Hunting spots, places like TNet and or
Magazine etc. & No real advice after the sale.
ask the sales lady at Wallmart which one would she Prefer.

(Ah ! That box is Prettier ;D )

In the 70's I Only remember 2 Brands that were Bragged about.

Bounty Hunter & Whites. & I Believe
Bounty hunter was the Choice of most.
At least around here. The Red Barron
at the time was Groundbreaking.

And Yes the Fact they Don't Sponser this site,
means I Have little Good to say about them :P.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The problem here is that people are continually going back to stat's of what-has-a-person-found?" to evaluate whether or not a machine is good.

I can guarantee you that any one of us can pick up the admittedly cheapest machine, and walk through enough sand boxes or virgin fort/camp sites, and given enough time, WILL find a cool coin, cool rings, etc..... Is that the result of the machine, or the simple odds of detecting enough time, digging enough (no disc) signals, etc....?

So you have to pit the machines side-by-side over flagged targets, and experienced users of each machine, to ask themselves "would I have dug that?"

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
I hate to brag but.......I have out hunted everyone I have gone detecting with.

Find Dimes 4" to 6" in damp soil.
Quarters even deeper.

You are just a few hours south of me. Where are you finding silver at? If all you are finding is dimes at 4-6" deep, then I will gladly come in after you and clean up.

If all you do is hunt for clad and jewelry, then you will probably "find more" than me. But if you are after old coins, then you wouldn't even be able to set foot in the same room with me. There is just no comparison at all between a BH and a higher end machine WITH an experienced user of that machine.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
bscofield6 said:
Goodyguy said:

Find Dimes 4" to 6" in damp soil.
Quarters even deeper.

You are just a few hours south of me. Where are you finding silver at? If all you are finding is dimes at 4-6" deep, then I will gladly come in after you and clean up.

If all you do is hunt for clad and jewelry, then you will probably "find more" than me. But if you are after old coins, then you wouldn't even be able to set foot in the same room with me. There is just no comparison at all between a BH and a higher end machine WITH an experienced user of that machine.

:) It took a while but - but there it is...

Everyone MUST conceed that experience and location and research is KEY to great finds - regardless of machine.

You guys should hunt together... that would be a great day to report on!

I personnaly NEVER find coins and if I do it's a dang mistake! LOL

I personaly would never go head to head with bscofield6 no matter what machine I had!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
There is just no comparison at all between a BH and a higher end machine WITH an experienced user of that machine.
I never said my low end BH could compare to higher end machines WITH or WITHOUT an experienced user of that machine.
Just that I have out hunted anyone I've detected with. I have nothing against high end machines.
And for the record I think Minelab has excellent machines.

bscofield6 said:
If all you are finding is dimes at 4-6" deep, then I will gladly come in after you and clean up.
I forgot to mention that was with my 4"coil. It goes much deeper with the 10" I also use anenhancer to help pick up the really faint signals. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,206397.msg1471829.html#msg1471829

bscofield6 said:
But if you are after old coins, then you wouldn't even be able to set foot in the same room with me.
Ok. Mr. high end Minelab :notworthy:

Would love to hunt with you sometime just to see who finds what.

Goodyguy~

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Excellent! :) 8)

index[4].gif

Attachments

• index[4].gif
    index[4].gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 867

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
Gee,, who has the biggest rod? is that what we are taking about.. Wow you guys take life too serious. I have a old one Knob compass my dad bought for me int he 70's and I had more finds, and more fun with that, becasue I had time to use it at 14 years old. now I have a BH Lone star,, and I am very amazed with it, pretty dam good machine for fare price. I would highly recomend it But seeing how we all get bored,, and we all think the grass is greener ,, I just had to order a whites M6 tonight. I had my mind set on the DFX and the Honest, and educated DEALER talked me outa it.... thats right the he was honest enough to care,,, about the type of hunting I did,, and the amount of time I had to use a machine. great guy I woud put his name up on this post,, but I dont know if I am allowed....... (he is a member of this site) anyhow if you really want bragging rights, how about putting a Lexus car body , onto a hummer chassis,,,RRRrrrr,, Thanks Dallas :wink: oops

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metalmolly said:
Goodyguy said:

Yes, we can tell you hate to brag!
Maybe I should have left that part out. :icon_scratch: I didn't mean to upset anyone. :-\
But I'm really impressed with the performance of Bounty Hunter metal detectors.
You just can't beat them dollar for dollar. :thumbsup:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Ernest T Bass said:
Fight, Fight, figured if we have lowered ourselves to childishness I would now fit in. :D :D :D
Now where is that other braggart Boscoe, cant wait to see this one. Bosco looks meaner, but I think Goodguy is bigger. Besides Goodguy is well, a good guy. Should be great fun, I wanna see a minelab get it's A$$ Kicked by a BH. Of course they'd never admit it, they'd just say Boscoe was the problem, but seems to me Mr Boscoe been around for awhile. ;D :D :wink:

Too much caffine this morning Ernie? LOL

Yea - Bscofield6 is a long time regular poster, a great contributor to the forum and an accomplished detectorist. It was a matter of time before someone stated they liked their own equipment just as much as many of us like the BHs. Anyway - he's a not a braggart for the record (no more than the rest of us are anyway :) ).

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Hey Craig, I have a QD II as well.I've had it for about 1 and a 1/2 yrs. While I haven't found anything to brag about just yet, I know it's me and not the machine. Before I got my BH I checked with the few local places that sold MDs and the response was the same each time. They wouldn't even discuss a BH, any model. According to these guys it had to a Whites, Garrett or other big name MD, any MD that cost between $400-$800 was a beginners model used for finding metal already on the surface to maybe 2-3 inches deep. If you were going to any real detecting you had to get a machine that was about $1000 or higher. This was before I discovered the forums, I've learned so much fro reading the posts. I got discouraged and stopped looking into MDing. I was looking at the QD II and the Garrett Ace 250 when I was researching them and based on that my wife gave me the QD II for x-mas (she just happened to find a sale with some extras and got a good deal, it could have gone either way). I wouldn't change it. The biggest problem with my machine is an OE problem due to a loose nut under the headphones.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people drive Volkswagon bugs, some drive Ferrari;s...they both will get you to where you are going the difference being what it left for cash in your pocket after buying. ALL detectors out there will find stuff, the key as Montana Jim is location, research and sometimes just plain luck. Knowing what your machine is "telling" you is another key and that comes with use and familiarity. The more expensive detectors have all the bells and whistles and for some they are a plus, but like in cars, these are jsut extra's and not mandatory to find stuff.
As you;ve seen by some of the above posts, ask what is the best detector and you will get MANY different answers and for different reasons. Brand and model are a personal preference and eveyone has their favorite..does this make one detector better than another? No, just better for that individual.
I upgrade a while back from a less expensive White's Prizm III to a White's M6 for the M6 had some features I thought I'd like which the Prizm didn;t have. I do like some of these features but I could have lived without them and done just as well with the Prizm.
The Bounty Hunters are good reliable detectors...are there "better" detectors out there? Yes, but maybe not better for you for everyone has their own preference, which is why we are individuals and not clones... :thumbsup:

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
Mainedigger said:
Some people drive Volkswagon bugs, some drive Ferrari;s...they both will get you to where you are going the difference being what it left for cash in your pocket after buying.

Yes but you can pick up more girls in a Ferrari than a VW bug me thinks! :tongue3:

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
craigsaaron said:
Have been scouring the information on this sight and am getting the feeling that Bounty Hunter products are inferior to most. Whats up. I have been using the product for 1 yr. and have found it most satisfying. Have found gold (Class ring and men's wedding ring), Silver, (35-40 coins). I give Bounty Hunter a thumbs up! A friend was selling a Whites XLT Series E and let me try it out. Might be my short time of experience but I preferred the Bounty Hunter.
I use the bounty hunter and no complaints here either, I've dug things up at 12", so keep swinging it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread