Youngsville, LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
craigsaaron said:
Didn't mean to start any violence, but appreciate all the posts. Glad to be associated with such fine folks. (ALL MD ers). I will continue to swing my BH and try to become as efficient as I can. Thanks again.

Good luck and happy hunting Craigsaaron. :thumbsup:
If you ever need any questions answered just post em and sit back and enjoy the responses.

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a real old bounty hunter that I loaned out and came back non working and I also have a sharp shoot II that I found many a ring in water deep as my knees, it didn't take an arm and a leg to keep the coil down in the water like some other detectors.. I still go back and use it every so often only thing about it is that it used 2 9V batteries . every thing i use now takes AA enjoy your detector and get lots of finds HH paul

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My BH Landstar is 10+years old . I have let it down for lack of expertise many more times than it has let me down for it's performance .

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008
Goodyguy said:
metalmolly said:
Goodyguy said:
I hate to brag but.......I have out hunted everyone I have gone detecting with.

Yes, we can tell you hate to brag!
Maybe I should have left that part out. :icon_scratch: I didn't mean to upset anyone. :-\
But I'm really impressed with the performance of Bounty Hunter metal detectors.
You just can't beat them dollar for dollar. :thumbsup:

You sure didn't upset me, I just had to tease you a little bit. We all do a little bragging now and then.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Oh wait a minute, just reread the title of the thread. It's actually asking what's wrong with people who use BH machines, right?

Carry on!

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
My BH QD II can find a hair on a knats ass.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPUS1 said:
My BH QD II can find a hair on a knats ass.
;D :laughing7: :thumbsup:

Mine can find an excuse for me to get outdoors. :D

OP
OP
craigsaaron

craigsaaron

Mar 8, 2009
Youngsville, LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
My intention on the post was to find out why BH machines were not very popular on the forum. Seemed to me BH was not getting a fair shake. It had nothing to do with people. Strictly about the machine. I do enjoy my BH, over the White I used. XLT series E. Could very well be that I am used to my BH. I have learned alot about M/Ding on this sight, also alot about the people. Thanks for your posts, (agreeing, disagreeing, or just plain standing up for your equipment. It has been a great help.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
jeff of pa said:
In the 70's I Only remember 2 Brands that were Bragged about.

Wow ...

You remember the 70's ...

:happy2: :icon_shaking2: :happy2: :icon_shaking2: :happy2:

Yep I Have a decent "Long term Memory"

what I forget always comes Back.

Just don't send me to the other room to
get something and Expect me to remember to
bring it back. at least not for a couple
years :wink:

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
only problem I have with them
is they are sold By Stores
Like Wallmart & Radio shack with
absolutely No Info on the Proper
use.
I think I have to agree with JeffinPA. There may be a certain stigma where these detectors can be found in W-Mart or some of the Box [sporting goods, outdoors] stores. I think it has to do with where the BH guys can get their product into the hands of their "target consumers" at a price point that is attractive. Unfortunately, sometimes it can de-value the brand. Just like when you started to see Levi's jeans in places other than Sears or JC penney. Or K-mart started selling the Craftsman brand tools.
If you could only buy a Bounty Hunter at an authorized BH dealer (like a small coin shop) this whole idea would be different.
Just the same, I used my Bounty Hunter Scout for the first few years I owned a detector. The price was right. I found lots of stuff...I was hooked. The rest is history.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i own two bh a xl and a 505
today i got a chance to hunt with a tnet person who has more experiance than i do
he pointed out two things about the bh machines
it dont take much of a "bump" to set it off
(one of the reasons i was digging and not finding)
and the cost is a good for getting started

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your metal detector is only as good as your last find....moral of the story....keep detecting.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmerg said:
i own two bh a xl and a 505
today i got a chance to hunt with a tnet person who has more experiance than i do
he pointed out two things about the bh machines
it dont take much of a "bump" to set it off
(one of the reasons i was digging and not finding)
and the cost is a good for getting started

After you get a signal continue to sweep back and forth in an x pattern. that helps to pinpoint your target and assures your signal is real. Then if you don't find your target it may be because it is the size of a bb or smaller or just powdered rust. those BH's are more powerful than they get credit for.

Also if you keep getting false signals could be the sensitivity is set to high or weak batteries. Once you dig a hole either use a pinpointer or grab a handful of dirt and sweep it past your coil while the detector is on the ground to see if the target is in your hand or not. Just don't wear a ring on that hand.

wayne_etc

Jul 28, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
If I can toss something in...

I've had several BH machines, starting with a Discovery 2000, Discovery 3000, Time Ranger, Land Ranger, Discovery 2200 and 3300. If I'm not mistaken (and someone please correct me) none of the BH/Pioneer/Discovery machines have an adjustable ground balance that works in the discrim mode. Several have adjustable GB but they only work in all metal. Even if you ground balance in all metal, it reverts to preset GB when you switch to discrim mode.
The problem is that if you are detecting an area with tough ground (highly mineralized), these machines will struggle in discrimination mode.
This isn't the machines' fault per se, as most machines with a preset GB will suffer from impaired performance in these settings.
When I took my Time Ranger to areas where the ground was more neutral, it performed excellently.
Now, because of my ground conditions, I only use machines that have user adjustable ground balance in discrim. mode.

My two zinc cents.

w

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah at last the WHY the differance in higher priced vs lower priced models finally comes out -- the ability to ground balance in disc mode !!! I was wondering when this fact would rear its head -- you see in "most" general areas where you use disc mode --less costly preset gound balance* machines work fine ( * please note --- PRESET GROUND BALANCE is the type is commonly used by most less expensive type machines of all brands including bounty hunter*) -- however if the ground is "rough" --has a lot of minerals or such that you need to adjust the ground balance level for the machine to run properly -- with the cheaper machines , your forced to run in all metal mode to be able to ground balance *--- its a real pain running in all metal -- you im effect become a dig it all or at dig a least a lot more junk type hunter --rather than being a "selective hunter" only after certain items ( some times the selective hunters miss items that a wrongly IDed by their selective machines ) sio its a two edged sword --did it all or depend on your machines ID's -- ( sounds with tone machines are very important -- and in my veiw tone sounds over ride displays -- and if both argee its 100% dig it !!!--- by using a preset machine in all metal (so you can ground balance) you dig a lot of junk and thus waste a lot of time and effort that way (by the "selective hunters" way of thinking )-- however if your a dig it all ( I do not want to miss anything good ) even if I dig 1000 targets for 1 gold ring type -- thats no big deal -- however if your then yep its an "ISSUE"*

for those with those "issues"* -- they move on to bigger / better more costly machines (ones that can ground balance in "disc mode" )-- and since they spent so much more money on their bigger / better machine , theyoften tend to look down on the bounty hunter folks. (having the ability to hunt rough areas in disc mode is a great advanyage -- it means there are areas that only you can hunt without having to dig a lot of junk --like a Bounty Hunter type hunter would) --- thus they tend to feel a bit smug --- but bounty hunters can hunt too granted its in "all metal mode" however -- I have found lots of stuff with them over the years -- I'm currently using an ace 250 now . but I still like BH --often the BH biggest weakness is **** new unskilled users with unreal expections -- and they tend to fault the "machine"(rather than admit their shortcomings ) -- I bought it last week and used it in the back yard fer an hour already ---so why ain't I found a gold bar yet?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Earnest, ever heard of the ice age?!? Guess what all that ice ground up and deposited all over points south of it's meltdown?

We've got stones in the ground here that came from anywhere between here and the arctic circle. That includes that pesky iron range, though most of that stuff is ground so fine it's just dust that has blown all over for thousands of years.

I'm in my basement now so there's only about 50' of glacial loam under my butt. I hunt sites with 200+ feet of that deposit and there's just about every mineral known, in such finely ground and redistributed a matrix as possible. It'd be rare to find any concentrate big enough to cause a signal hereabouts, but the mix can have it's effect.

And what's wrong with BH machine users? I think they're swell, plus, they buy those things in American-owned and operated stores like Wal-Mart!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
earnest --- the saltwater ocean / wet sand areas of beaches often has lots of minerals in it ---so much in fact that it often drive preset machines nuts -- due to the higher than "normal" range gound --which is what most presets are set to work at * what happens is the poor machine freaks out --it "sees" the wet sand as a solid "wall" of metal --beep -beep--beeping its butt off -- the only possible cure with a preset model is to lower the power / sem level --so the machine isn't as "touchy" and no longer picks up the "background" minerals as metal -- but by turning down your power / sensitivity levels down you lose some depth --they go hand in glove that way ---again often the so called "cheaper" machines can still hunt the area too --but a bit of a disadvantage to a machine that can ground balance -- the land star by bounty hunter is not too costly and has a manual ground balance as well. :wink: -- most land can be hunted with a preset type machine without trouble -- thats why so many are sold .

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything Ivan has said so far. :thumbsup:
He has hit the nail squarely on the head.
That's why I hunt in all metal mode.
I get pretty much the same depth and results of the high priced models but the trade off is having to dig more targets.
Which is ok with me cause I like to dig and I don't generally specialize or focus on a particular kind of metal. To me treasure is treasure.
This may not be for everyone but it works just fine for me.

However if I am looking for something in particular and time is short then I may use tone discrimination.

Also saving $1,000.00 on a machine was like finding a thousand dollars before I even got started.

Happy hunting all.
:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread