Whats wrong with Bounty Hunter M/D ers?

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
bscofield6 said:
You are just a few hours south of me. Where are you finding silver at? If all you are finding is dimes at 4-6" deep, then I will gladly come in after you and clean up.

If all you do is hunt for clad and jewelry, then you will probably "find more" than me. But if you are after old coins, then you wouldn't even be able to set foot in the same room with me. There is just no comparison at all between a BH and a higher end machine WITH an experienced user of that machine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it's a good thing that nobody discouraged you (and your yeller feller) from this hobby early on.
Seems like only yesterday when you posted this............

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,22925.msg152313.html#msg152313

HH :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
As I was saying... don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't do with your detector. Just hunt with it and figure it out. Make a test garden and learn when the ground is at optimal conditions for going deep. If you aren't finding enough treasure to keep you happy you can think about upgrading, but I would first consider your hunting locations. Research and acquiring permission can bring great riches. Pick the right spot and you might find seated just laying on top (just read about someone who did just that). Happy Hunting!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
litefire56 said:
bscofield6 said:
You are just a few hours south of me. Where are you finding silver at? If all you are finding is dimes at 4-6" deep, then I will gladly come in after you and clean up.

If all you do is hunt for clad and jewelry, then you will probably "find more" than me. But if you are after old coins, then you wouldn't even be able to set foot in the same room with me. There is just no comparison at all between a BH and a higher end machine WITH an experienced user of that machine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it's a good thing that nobody discouraged you (and your yeller feller) from this hobby early on.
Seems like only yesterday when you posted this............

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,22925.msg152313.html#msg152313

HH :thumbsup:

You and your son Brett are so much fun. It's as if you are stalking me now. You guys love me, you really do!

Best wishes,
Brian

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
[/quote]

You guys love me, you really do!

Best wishes,
Brian
[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So I love suckers, so what...... ;D

Attachments

• 2845687204_5dd3b9d5b3.jpg
    2845687204_5dd3b9d5b3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 337

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
craigsaaron said:
My intention on the post was to find out why BH machines were not very popular on the forum. Seemed to me BH was not getting a fair shake. It had nothing to do with people. Strictly about the machine.

From what I've heard from owners (I don't have one), the main complaint about the First Texas detectors (Bounty Hunter, Radio Shack, Discovery, etc) is not that they don't find stuff - it's that they are more prone to breakdown, with poor construction and inferior materials. I don't think they even make coil covers for them?

So the word on the street is, when they work, they are fine. Just don't bang them around too much.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I had a BH, and I would have another in a minute. I guess it is like with guns. I loved my HiPoint 9mm too, which the gun elitists will tell you is "junk". So....does anyone have a spare BH they are too good to use? I will gladly send you the postage to send it to me to give it a good home.

:wink:

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Ok let me chime in on this thread...I have the Discovery 2000, (sim to BH) I've used it on the beach (dry) and at the lake in rocks/sand. I've found clad 4 inches down burried under rocks, I kow it can pick them up, perhaps not as well as the high end MD but it works for me.

Anyone know where I can get a 4 inch coil for the BH or Discovery 2000. I need it for the very trashy areas I'm searching in.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Calworks said:
Ok let me chime in on this thread...I have the Discovery 2000, (sim to BH) I've used it on the beach (dry) and at the lake in rocks/sand. I've found clad 4 inches down burried under rocks, I kow it can pick them up, perhaps not as well as the high end MD but it works for me.

Anyone know where I can get a 4 inch coil for the BH or Discovery 2000. I need it for the very trashy areas I'm searching in.

Call Bounty Hunter and ask them if the 4 inch nugget coil that is currently being sold will fit your machine. I'm sure they have an 800 number but I don't have it...the number I have is 1-915-633-8354. If the 4 incher will fit, you can get one from Kellyco Detectors or on Ebay. Also, contrary to what was posted at some point earlier, BH does make coil covers ::)

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Thanks Eddie, I talked with BH yesterday evening and they said the 4 inch gold master coil will fit my machine, so I'm off to find the best deal

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Calworks said:
Thanks Eddie, I talked with BH yesterday evening and they said the 4 inch gold master coil will fit my machine, so I'm off to find the best deal

:wink: :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread for the first time and thought I'd share my thoughts on the matter.

My first metal detector was a Bounty Hunter model (probably the cheapest one at the time), bought for me in 1994. I used it a lot at the time, but never found much with it. I attribute this to a) being a young kid at the time, and b) not being familiar with proper hunting techniques. Later on, I sold that detector and became interested in upgrading, so I got an Ace 250 when they first came out. I thought it was the best thing in the world for a long time! I was older and more keen on hunting techniques. I found tons and tons of clad, and jewelry too, and that made me happy.

When I began hunting with folks using Minelabs and other higher-ends machines, I became frustrated with the Ace to some degree because they were pulling out silvers galore in the same area as I was pulling clad. I picked up a Whites M6 and I love that machine to death, but even that machine simply CANNOT compete with SE's and E-Traks in very old, trashy, "hunted-out" parks. I have hunted side-by-side with dudes who were using Minelabs and they were steady pulling silvers when I could barely muster out a wheat. Yes, experience is very important. But, it's true that some machines do have limitations that keep them from performing the same as a higher-end machine such as a Minelab. I don't care how much experience John Doe has with his Ace 250, or Bounty Hunter, or whatever- in some cases, only certain detectors can get to certain finds. I hear a lot of people claim they find dimes at 11, 12, 13 inches with an Ace 250. I do not believe those claims at all. Most experienced Minelab users wouldn't find those either.

I also think the majority of people who firmly stand by their "lower end" detectors have never used anything like a Minelab E-Trak or SE or White's Vision. Some of those people think they're finding everything there is to find and that NOTHING could possibly be lying underneath, among the trash and iron. I think a lot of those people would be surprised to discover what's lying there that they couldn't get a good signal on.

Does this makes Bounty Hunters bad machines? NO!! Not at all. A guy with a Bounty Hunter can build a small empire with the jewelry and money he or she may find. I found a lot of gold and silver rings with my Ace 250. But then none of them were 8 or 9 inches deep in super-trashy parks. What do I mean by super trashy? Come over to the West side of Chicago and I'll show you :)

In the end, it all depends on what your target treasure is. I still use my Ace 250 in the tot lots because it works beautifully there. I use my M6 in the woods where it excels, and in the parks (all heavily-pounded) where it does OK. John Doe might swear by his Bounty Hunter because he has all the right in the world to, because he's finding what he wants to find. And you know what? God bless you. This is all about having fun, right? The thrill of discovery, the love of the outdoors. Personally, I adore my "lower end" M6, but I know its limitations and would never expect it to perform the way a Minelab does in a heavily trashy park. Because, frankly, it won't. There is no coincidence that nearly all the old, deep finds on T-net and YouTube are found with Minelabs and such. You won't see a video of a 9-inch deep seated half dime being found in a trashy park with a BH Discovery.

I don't see any need for negativity on this topic, remember guys, this is supposed to be fun! Happy hunting to you all.

Joe

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well written Joe.

You think like I think, but you choose your words much more wisely than I do! :) haha

To be honest, I wish more people would use BH, Ace 250s, etc. They do a good job at 'cleaning up' the parks down to about 6" and make my life a heck of a lot easier!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread