Whats wrong with Bounty Hunter M/D ers?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Ernest T Bass said:
According to USGS, very little of U.S. has mineral content that would require the use of a manual ground balance. Most of them in the Northwest. Too many amateurs think they need manual GB because they don't learn how to operate their auto GB machines properly. Then they deal with huckster dealers who say oh you must be hunting in a high mineral content soil, you'll need this XXX machine that costs three times as much as the one your trying to use. How about some expert here speak up and tell us what mineral the soil has to be high in for it to cause problems for auto GB ?
USGS has spent little time in my area around old homesites that have burned with such ferocity that tin roofs end up being molton globs that permiate the soil along with iron oxide clinkers from coal fired heating stoves . Even the fired red clay brick shards will turn up hot .
We soil test 80 or so acres of our cultivated fields each year with none of these results , but when I detect the homesites most of my time is spent digging trash of this nature.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, yea, yea. Mine is bigger than yours. I have more than you..... Always comes to this kinda behavior. Jeff should start a new "web thread" called.... Mine is better than yours. Then, after reading your GREAT POST only once, it disappears ! Now let's all get back to metaldetecting. TTC

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks Terry, speaking for myself, some spanking might do well.

All have fun now!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever reason, I never got the email saying that this post had been responded to.

I've hunted side by side many machines over the years and coins that ring in clear on my machine don't even register on most other machines. And when they do, the users always make the comment that they aren't signals that they would dig. I will watch their ID screens and their machines might make a beep or something 1 in every 5 swings.

As for how my name somehow got confused with boscoe, I will never know.

But, goodyguy, you did state that you have out-hunted every person you have detected with.

Well, my question is, what do you consider out-hunting somebody?

Hopefully I get the email informing me when this gets responded to.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
For whatever reason, I never got the email saying that this post had been responded to.

I've hunted side by side many machines over the years and coins that ring in clear on my machine don't even register on most other machines. And when they do, the users always make the comment that they aren't signals that they would dig. I will watch their ID screens and their machines might make a beep or something 1 in every 5 swings.

As for how my name somehow got confused with boscoe, I will never know.

But, goodyguy, you did state that you have out-hunted every person you have detected with.

Well, my question is, what do you consider out-hunting somebody?

Hopefully I get the email informing me when this gets responded to.

You know that was just my ego talking same as you. :D
Really I just like to get out and have fun digging and not as a competition to see who gets the deepest or oldest ormost or most valuable coins.

But to answer your question.
First of all unlike the users you and I hunt side by side with I detect in all metal mode. (that's how I get the deep targets) and second unlike the users you and I hunt with I do not depend on an ID screen to tell me what or when to dig. I will dig all signals. As I have stated in my posts.

Because of this I have out dug and out hunted everyone I have detected with.
Of course I have not been out detecting with you. But I think it would be fun to see who finds what.

With my signal enhancer and my 8" coil and my detector in all metal mode I get signals from dimes, penny's, nickles, 8" to 10" deep. As has been stated in my other posts on this thread the trade off I have to make for not spending hundreds more on a detector that does every thing but dig for me, is that I spend more time digging undesirable targets.

Hope you get the email.

Goodyguy~

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, my ego talks a lot. It's rarely very quiet.

But what do you consider as out-hunting? What kinds of spots are you hunting and what are you finding each hunt? I haven't seen any of your finds posts, so I honestly have no idea what you are finding.

When I say I show signals to other machines and they don't hear anything, I literally mean that they don't hear anything. No matter what settings they try, they hear nothing outside of the occasional beep that one would chalk up to just some noise or interference.

How can you walk into a park and dig every signal that makes a noise? I don't see how that is even remotely possible. In all metal I can easily go over 10 targets per swing in most parks. So if you dig every signal, after an hour you have moved maybe 10 ft? Is this what you are saying? And then you have to deal with somehow not upsetting people after you have just ruined the grass in a stretch of the park because you just dug 50 holes in a 10'x3' area.

I'm not going to argue that your machine can't go deep. But mine will go deep and tell me what it is so I don't have to waste my time digging lots of trash.

It's like they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. And that seems to be the style of hunting you seem to rely on.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that's my style alright.

Never have hunted a park before, too much trash.
In fact truth be told I'm not really into single coin hunting or posting my finds.
Check my profile.

Goodyguy~

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then, we were comparing apples to oranges then.

I don't really hunt fields any more because I am a good 30+ min from any fields.

But when out in the fields, I dig everything as well. I switch to all metal and dig every signal that isn't ferrous.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:

I don't really hunt fields any more because I am a good 30+ min from any fields.

But when out in the fields, I dig everything as well. I switch to all metal and dig every signal that isn't ferrous.

Have you ever hunted side by side of a Nautilus detector. They go awesome deep.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
bscofield6 said:

Have you ever hunted side by side of a Nautilus detector. They go awesome deep.

I have not. I have a friend who used to have one, but he is always selling one machine to add a new one to his arsenal.

Almost everybody I hunt with now uses an explorer. They all come over with their machine and watch me dig multiple silver from a park while they can't find a wheat. And before you know it, another convert.

As for the nautilus, I've heard a lot of good things about how deep they go. But I've never seen one in person, and don't think I've ever heard of an experienced user of one here in central indiana. But I would be really curious to see one in action. But I don't think I could handle different tones coming into each headset. Would probably drive me crazy! haha

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do a lot of civil war relic hunting and I love my Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. I have had really good luck with depth and target ID, even before I got my new 10" coil and with the addition of the coil it has only gotten better.

Here is what I have figured out about my BH.....

I always hunt in "all metal mode"- if you hunt with the discrimination turned on, it seems that you are missing a lot of targets that you should be digging.

Target ID on the BH rarely locks in on a single number-for best results, one should know the range of signals that "good" targets produce. Consistency can and does happen, but it seems to happen only under really good soil conditions.

I have a friend that I hunt side by side with that has a brand new Whites XLT. It seams that the BH handles some signals better than the Whites, and the Whites handles some signals better than the BH. Usually, I dig just a little more small iron targets that he does, and usually, I dig a few more good targets that he should be digging.

I know aluminum is every detectorist worst nightmare....Both the BH and the XLT are about the same when it comes to aluminum....you dig it.

Depth- Recently, we have found a camp that had been "hunted out" about 15 years ago. EVERY target we have dug on this place has been deep. I have dug bullets at 8-10 inches with a target ID compareable to that of a bullet that is 4 inches deep. I also dug two rifle sling buckles on this place that have been over a foot deep with a consistant target readout on both buckles. (Believe me or not, I don't care because I know it happened)

The BH is also a light weight machine. I don't seam to get tired as fast as people I have hunted with that had other machines.

Ground balance- I have a 3300 from Radio Shack that has a manual ground balance. One thing about the machine that I question, is the fact that the ground balance seams to need adjusting quite often. Also, soils that have a lot of limestone rock seams to play havoc on the ground balance of the machine.

In all, I have been very pleased with the machine. The big thing that I have figured out is that you need to take time and figure out the machine that you are using. With that said, you also need to be in an area to find what you are looking for, i.e. you are not gonna find a pile of civil war relics in Oregon. Whatever machine you are using...do your research, learn your machine, and go have fun...after all, that is what this is all about!

wds

Greenie
Sep 1, 2008
Owensville ohio
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 4, BH quick draw 2,Whites 5900di, Minelab XT505
Nothing that I see, except my son uses my Tracker 4 and I use my QD2. My son really knows that tracker, He usually out does me every time we go together.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when I used the tracker iv --I used the tones and the 3 way switch to id stuff --hunt in all metal the switch to discto see what it "sounded like" -- however the meter on it was less than useless -- might as well put duct tape over it.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I didn't know there was a problem, I don't use one and won't add one to my arsenal, but then again, I don't have a Shadow, Whites, Fisher, or Compass and won't be adding them. I will add a Tesoro soon. Who cares what another thinks, if you are enjoying what you are doing then go for it. I've seen some great Bounty Hunter finds so I can't say anything bad!!

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I found this yesterday with a Bounty Hunter 505 and this item was at 11 inches!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 469
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 479

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig 4".... can't find item. Dig 4" further, item sinks again, still can't find it.... Dig 3" more, it sinks further...

Oh there it is!

Magically, a 5 year old item got down 11" deep and you found it with your BH.

Oh wait.... some pigs were flying outside my window just now.

I believe you.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
My brother found a whopper of an 18K gold wedding band about one or two days after he got a Bounty Hunter Lonestar. I haven't found as nice of a ring yet, with my Ace 250, Explorer SE Pro, E-Trac, DFX, Fisher Impulse or my newest addition, the White's Vision. So don't let the douche bags with a chip on their shoulder let you think for one minute that Bounty Hunter detectors can't find good treasure. It's all about location and who's swinging the detector. Jerks will be jerks... just ignore them. I have found quite a few rings, silver and gold... just nothing as large and worth as much as what my brother found.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Why is it that a detectorist can claim to find deep items with a high dollar detector, but when another detectorist comes along with a less expensive machine and makes a good DEEP find, the target wasn't really that deep...it was just falling deeper into the hole just dug :icon_scratch:

I think those flying pigs are dumping a lot of poo on somebody...

I personally use a lot of different brands of detectors....and my Bounty Hunters rock! :headbang: :headbang:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett said:
My brother found a whopper of an 18K gold wedding band about one or two days after he got a Bounty Hunter Lonestar. I haven't found as nice of a ring yet, with my Ace 250, Explorer SE Pro, E-Trac, DFX, Fisher Impulse or my newest addition, the White's Vision. So don't let the douche bags with a chip on their shoulder let you think for one minute that Bounty Hunter detectors can't find good treasure. It's all about location and who's swinging the detector. Jerks will be jerks... just ignore them. I have found quite a few rings, silver and gold... just nothing as large and worth as much as what my brother found.

Hugs and Kisses for you Brett! :thumbsup:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EddieR said:
Why is it that a detectorist can claim to find deep items with a high dollar detector, but when another detectorist comes along with a less expensive machine and makes a good DEEP find, the target wasn't really that deep...it was just falling deeper into the hole just dug :icon_scratch:

I think those flying pigs are dumping a lot of poo on somebody...

I personally use a lot of different brands of detectors....and my Bounty Hunters rock! :headbang: :headbang:

It's not that he found something deep. It's the item that he claimed to find. It's a modern piece of junk jewelry smaller than a dime. It wouldn't be 11" deep unless he was hunting fill dirt. And even then I doubt there are very many machines out there that would find it, let alone the one that he is using. I honestly doubt my explorer would have any chance at detecting that at 11".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread