What's your coolest eyeball find?

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm used to finding lots of loose change on the floors around school, about $0.75 worth each week usually, but today being Pearl Harbor Day, I got a real kick out of finding a 1941 wheat this morning.

Just a cool coincidence, but it made me wonder what other neat coins/treasure people find just laying on the ground.
Any silver?
Key or semi-key dates?
Jewelry?

What are some of your coolest eyeball finds?
My inquiring mind wants to know.

-WFC

Upvote 0

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$200,000 in a briefcase in Little Italy in New York.....Keep that under your hat":tongue3:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine... I found this around July and posted it then.

View attachment 1389301 View attachment 1389302

Dude....... this will blow some minds. I too eyeballed almost the same coin/medallion when I moved into my current house. I think the old owners lost it while moving out. The deal went through quick and they had to move out rather suddenly. I saw it lying in the pea rocks in my front yard within the first week I was here.it was to shiny to have been there to long. photo-283.JPG
photo-284.JPG
Not only that it has a scene of a skin diver and a treasure chest. WTF. I thought that was ironic enough, and now someone else has eyeball found one that is obviously from the same maker........ weird. My luck runs like this. What do coincidences like this mean !!! Strange !!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$200,000 in a briefcase in Little Italy in New York.....Keep that under your hat":tongue3:

Holy cow dave that takes the cake for sure. Wow.... makes me think of those mobster movies. You know godfather or scarface. Good for you man.!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak bart - that's amazing! What are the odds of this?

Just remembered one that happened when I was a kid. Sitting in church, I look down on the floor and see something shining. I reach down and pick it up and it appears to be a diamond, about 1/8" across the top, so its a good size. I also notice that it doesn't have gold paint on the sides and bottom surfaces like a fake stone would have. I show it to my parents when we are leaving and they said it doesn't look real. Unfortunately I lost it on the way to the car so I believe some other lucky person found it.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 7 years ago, a $100 bill on the ground near the concession stand at a drive-in movie.

And I suppose in my high school parking lot (when I was high school), I found a bank pouch full of checks and cash (I think it was between $3000 and $5000 worth total), but it was clearly from a business and since there were checks, it was clear which one so I turned that in.

Last edited:

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Tanner and I had a contest to see who could find the most money in one year. The photo shows the results. We would walk our dog the a neighborhood parking lot that had parking meters. I lot of it was found there. The best time to search was in the winter after a thaw. People would drop coins into the snow, a week or so later there would be a thaw and we would hit the jack pot.

I few years ago the city change the meters to a kiosk style, thus ending a large part of our finds.

Some of the dollars pictured were found, some came from a store gift card that we sold.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Attachments

• 112_0314.JPG
    112_0314.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 112_0326.JPG
    112_0326.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 98

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today we're at a store picking up some corn and sunflower seed for the birds and the deer and I see a wheat penny in the "penny tray" next to the cashier. I ask if I can exchange it for one of the new shiny pennies in my pocket and the cashier says Ok. It was a 46D.

CoinRoller

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2016
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of money at the San Diego Comic Con. Every year I find some as fans tend to be hopelessly distracted and not always conscientious in how they handle their money after transactions. The most I've found at one time was eighty dollars (four twenty dollar bills). But I am surprised at how many things I have found in general since I started metal detecting five years ago and acquired a habit of looking down.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Found this once at our town recycle center. They have a swap shop area and someone tossed this box on the ground and drove away. I was happy to take care of it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-12-12 at 9.01.28 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-12-12 at 9.01.28 AM.png
    246 KB · Views: 129

keg11v

Greenie
Dec 9, 2016
Bellingham
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-series Tracker w/ DD 4x6 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In July I was watching a construction crew excavate an abandoned housing lot to make way for a parking lot. I watched an excavator bucket peel away about a foot of clay that lay directly over a 1941 walking half dollar, gleaming in the sun! Unfortunately the bucket scraped the coin slightly, but still serendipity!

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was dove hunting back in the 80's and found a money clip with a big Spanish coin on it and about $250.00 in the clip..

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gold pocket watch from the 1800s found on the ground 30 years ago. A pawn shop offered me $400 for it, which tells me it's probably worth double that.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a $20 bill in mu uncles field

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1106161052.jpg 1106161054.jpg 161185577584.jpg 1875 Seated Half Dollar in stubble beans....surface find, in front of the detector

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a lot of clad over the years, having been looking and ing up change since I was a boy. I have found some paper money but the best find was actually by my youngest daughter. She picked up my habit of searching the ground and one day when she was seven she came home with a bezel fake diamond pendant. Of course she said it was real, I didn't really give it any thought and continued on with life. About a year later she asked me to take her into a jewelry store to have it looked at, so I did and dang it the thing was real!! Worth about $1600, found in the grass by the backstop. I can't tell you how often I she has rubbed it in that she still has the most valuable find.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Found four $20 bills underneath the ATM at the convenience store. Left my phone number with the clerk in case anyone came in to claim. No one ever did. The first one I used at the pharmacy drive-thru drawer was taken by the wind!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if it counts, but about 15 years ago I was at a junk yard with my cousin picking up parts for my POS low rider truck I was building. Found a truck that matched mine and was trying my to get the headliner out. My cousin was impatient and pulled on one end as hard as he could. When out dropped a total of $1250 dollars in 20s

the truck was super ghetto with 24” ugly rims and everything else you could imagine. My thoughts were drug money hidden.

But, after we split it, I used it to pay for my books for college that year. Came in super handy

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread