Whos Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Upvote 0

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just maybe that's one more reason to buddy up with somebody. I'm always open to doing that. My home base is in the Colony.

decoy218

Feb 20, 2013
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, XP Deus, Minelab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the OP is seeking feedback about carrying while detecting VA Beach, I wanted to make sure those who currently have a permit to carry in another state that it may or may not now be honored by VA in the near future. VA currently honors permits from 30 other states; however, effective Feb 1, 2016, 25 of those states will no longer be recognized, and as a result of these states not being recognized some of them no longer will honor a VA permit as they required mutual recognition. VA Attorney General, Mark Herring, has made these changes and can be found:

December 22, 2015 - Herring and VSP Complete Audit and Update of Concealed Handgun Permit Recognition

This is to let those who may come to visit VA Beach, or other parts of the Commonwealth, know of the changes. Be sure to check before you visit. FYI, VA does permit open carry so if there is any uncertainty a gun can be carried on the person as long as it is openly visible, and as is always the case, there are exceptions to this as well so do your research.

The decision to carry lies on the individual for reasons such as personal protection or simply because the they can. Regardless of the reason, sensible and legal decisions have to be made. I cannot say common sense decisions need to be made because they can differ from person to person.

I currently have a valid permit to carry concealed in VA and I have it for several reasons (i.e. I want it, I can, personal protection or in case I drive friend's truck during hunting season and they have a handgun in their truck). I carry it when I detect for personal protection from both humans and animals. Be safe and good luck detecting!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying while detecting?
You bet - I am all for it, preferring an open carry to a concealed carry as criminals target those who they believe to be weak.
I wish I could, I wish I might but I cannot not as my rights to bear arms have been taken away.
For me there is no alternative but to move to where I can again do so.

Gentlemen, again please stay on topic, topic is carrying while detecting...

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
I have had them all but currently use a Makro Multi Kruzer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending where I am, I will have my .38 snub nose with +P ammo. I have been a corrections officer for over 20 years. I know first hand what lurks out there.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not carry while detecting; I open carry a big jagged and sharp digging tool. One time some one smelling of alcohol wanted to handle my machine. I parked my long handle shovel next to his big toe and he decided to keep his distance. Self control is hard for me when some one gets in my face.
The road rage character that cuts me off, gets out of his car and comes at me spewing his vile will learn his lesson some day.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since the OP is seeking feedback about carrying while detecting VA Beach, I wanted to make sure those who currently have a permit to carry in another state that it may or may not now be honored by VA in the near future. VA currently honors permits from 30 other states; however, effective Feb 1, 2016, 25 of those states will no longer be recognized, and as a result of these states not being recognized some of them no longer will honor a VA permit as they required mutual recognition. VA Attorney General, Mark Herring, has made these changes and can be found:

December 22, 2015 - Herring and VSP Complete Audit and Update of Concealed Handgun Permit Recognition

This is to let those who may come to visit VA Beach, or other parts of the Commonwealth, know of the changes. Be sure to check before you visit. FYI, VA does permit open carry so if there is any uncertainty a gun can be carried on the person as long as it is openly visible, and as is always the case, there are exceptions to this as well so do your research.

The decision to carry lies on the individual for reasons such as personal protection or simply because the they can. Regardless of the reason, sensible and legal decisions have to be made. I cannot say common sense decisions need to be made because they can differ from person to person.

I currently have a valid permit to carry concealed in VA and I have it for several reasons (i.e. I want it, I can, personal protection or in case I drive friend's truck during hunting season and they have a handgun in their truck). I carry it when I detect for personal protection from both humans and animals. Be safe and good luck detecting!

Thats not good news, hope that gets changed soon. Not sure how it is for a first time offence of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit but here in Comifornia its a misdemeanor for your first offence. Although getting a permit is the best thing to do it's not always an option for some. We do have permits here but in some counties its impossible to get, others are shall issue.

As for carry weapons I've been bringin my LC9. I'd take a glock but I don't have one and its a little to large for me, think if I was gonna carry a larger pistol it would be an xd.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not good news, hope that gets changed soon. Not sure how it is for a first time offence of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit but here in Comifornia its a misdemeanor for your first offence. Although getting a permit is the best thing to do it's not always an option for some. We do have permits here but in some counties its impossible to get, others are shall issue.

As for carry weapons I've been bringin my LC9. I'd take a glock but I don't have one and its a little to large for me, think if I was gonna carry a larger pistol it would be an xd.
XDS is better choice, its a single stack .45...

drafter

Greenie
Jan 15, 2016
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030--Tesoro UMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry while detecting uncrowded beaches and always when I'm out at night. I've had a couple of close calls with groups of guys following me while night detecting.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan on being in an accident but I wear my seatbelt.
I don't plan on my house burning down or being blown away by a tornado but I have home owners insurance.
I don't plan on having a fire but I keep a fire extinguisher.

Just like I don't PLAN on ever being attacked, but I want to be prepared just like I am for everything else.

:icon_thumright: Yup, Just another insurance policy.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan on being in an accident but I wear my seatbelt.
I don't plan on my house burning down or being blown away by a tornado but I have home owners insurance.
I don't plan on having a fire but I keep a fire extinguisher.

Just like I don't PLAN on ever being attacked, but I want to be prepared just like I am for everything else.

My little LCR 38 special is a wonderful companion when I am alone in the mountains or city parks late night and early morn.
Cops aren't going to be there for me. The damage will have been done already.

I would love to assume the world is a perfect place and no one would want to hurt me or steal from me.....but that just ain't so.
And the laws are making it easier for the criminals to do just that.
Also more people on meds or illegal drugs now a days so they are not thinking right.

Roll the dice!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My little LCR 38 special is a wonderful companion when I am alone in the mountains or city parks late night and early morn.
Cops aren't going to be there for me. The damage will have been done already.

I would love to assume the world is a perfect place and no one would want to hurt me or steal from me.....but that just ain't so.
And the laws are making it easier for the criminals to do just that.
Also more people on meds or illegal drugs now a days so they are not thinking right.

Roll the dice!

If I'm rolling the dice, they will be from boxes labeled .45 Hollow Point.....

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow, I must say this thread has unsettled me a bit. We are planning our first trip to florida this month with beach detecting high on our to do list. I am stunned that so many of you feel the need to carry sidearms. Don't get me wrong I love my guns up here but we cant carry anything legally and I don't feel the need at this time. But what am I to expect while detecting? , I read every post and can say I am not going to detect at night, I am 6`4" and will carry a knife but what choice does a travelling Canadian have?, you got me spooked boys

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow, I must say this thread has unsettled me a bit. We are planning our first trip to florida this month with beach detecting high on our to do list. I am stunned that so many of you feel the need to carry sidearms. Don't get me wrong I love my guns up here but we cant carry anything legally and I don't feel the need at this time. But what am I to expect while detecting? , I read every post and can say I am not going to detect at night, I am 6`4" and will carry a knife but what choice does a travelling Canadian have?, you got me spooked boys

Hunting at night depends on where you are in Florida and how late at night you are hunting.... Before I started carrying a pistol at night I carried a 10 inch filet knife and a dive knife..... Understand some of my night hunting was between 10pm and 2 am so almost no one on the beach at that time, if beach has lots of traffic then your most likely fine...

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fear not, I think you'll be ok in FL at night. I rarely carry ON the beach, although I have occasionally, usually on Friday nights between 11pm and 3am when the bars are roaring, because I am searching near the beach bars. Generally the beaches are the safest part of Florida since they are where most of the upper middle class reside. You can legally carry a knife here concealed if the blade 4" or less (width of your palm basically) but you'll be fine without. A scoop is not a bad club hah.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dr-quest,

in broad daylight on an active beach would think you should be fairly safe....your scoop and detector and size should be a sufficient deterrent in any event.

Regards + HH

Bill

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

You should look at the thread about all of the people who metal detect with out a gun and feel safe doing it. Oh wait. No such thread and rightly so. It would probably be a boring read. Anyway as has been posted, you should be fine in Fla. Hope you find some cool finds.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should look at the thread about all of the people who metal detect with out a gun and feel safe doing it. Oh wait. No such thread and rightly so. It would probably be a boring read. Anyway as has been posted, you should be fine in Fla. Hope you find some cool finds.
Be aware of your surroundings and hunt when other people are around.

I started carrying after a friend was mugged while hunting Daytona beach one night and I was harassed by group of punks on a different night and followed by 3 men on another occasion..

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I am good again :icon_thumleft:, If it was just me I wouldn't worry at all but with my wife & little guy, well you know. If I lived there and was allowed I am sure I would sport my Jericho from time to time :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread