Whos Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr Quest. I was gonna tell you, If you are coming to my area, S.Broward, no worries......
half of the Canadian population is down here on the boardwalk. :laughing7:
I can't understand a word anybody is saying! :tongue3: Luckily, I have a friend who's fluent in French, and a few other languages.

I don't carry while detecting, well, cause, 1. I'mma girl. 2. I'm usually in the water 3. I don't detect alone at night on a deserted beach, looking like a mark. 4. There's so many tourist and ppl..... only an idiot would attempt to start something in broad daylight (we are overflowing with idiots here, but they're mostly drunks :laughing7:). 5. Cops, beach patrol, and life guards are everywhere.

My Mom always told me, after 11, 12 of night, ain't nothing out there but trouble anyway.
You all will have a blast, so again, no worries. :notworthy:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dr-quest,

Here's what you do.....you head off to Florida and get TH and GIB who are carrying to cover your butt.....you get all the goodies and spring for drinks and pizza at the end of the hunt...win/win.

Regards + HH

Bill

Okay, I am good again :icon_thumleft:, If it was just me I wouldn't worry at all but with my wife & little guy, well you know. If I lived there and was allowed I am sure I would sport my Jericho from time to time :hello:

hotrock

Apr 25, 2014
streator
Detector(s) used
garrets at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry all the time when detecting.. I carry a colt 45 auto... ya never know

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, this just seems to be going in a circle-j....... I mean, if that's your thing, fine.....
Ya'll tell me, where I gonna hide a gun and with what, should I shoot it with?
The pouch, btw, has triple ziplock baggie with keys, cigs in it, and full of trash.....
also note: it is day time...... not going in that water at night......

beachbum1.jpg

I'm far more worried about getting "jellyfished", than I am robbed.
But also remember too, this is my home beach, everyone knows me, I know everyone.
Yeah, there's always that chance of being a victim of a violent crime, I figured, I done won those odds,
a few times, so I should be good, as I don't usually place myself in situations, where I gotta be concerned about theives, robbers, bad ppl......
One just never knows when "crazy" may cross their path, though.

eta: on the other hand, if on an Everglades or woods outting, you better bet, I'm armed!

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some of my "best spots" are blighted inner city vacant lots -- that teem with trash and homeless folks / drifters ( 95% of which are harmless) ... however the fear of the dangerous 5 % it scares most detecting folks away - ...these old empty lots often once had wooden framed houses or stores upon them before the great Jacksonville , Florida fire of 1901 that wiped out most of the town ..not all the lots got rebuilt upon with brick buildings (it was a law after the fire for quite some time --if you were building it was with brick only) ..some lots were never rebuilt upon ..meaning other than the trash that's been dumped over the last 114 years ...its been "frozen" in time since 1901 ...yah I often carry "protection" of various kinds depending upon where I going to detect ..in the woods there can be wild rabid animals ..in the city there are also rabid beast as well .. two legged rabid beast ..driven crazy by drugs and booze and mental issues ..and not all are down and out looking either.
I am of the school of though that --"its better to have a gun and not need it , than to need a gun and not have it" .. my gun peacefully carried is no "threat" to anyone (other than those who wish to do evil to me -- and screw them cuz they don't matter-when its me vs them )

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a few old lots and parks I'd really like to detect but even carrying I'm not crazy enough to attempt them.

I'm thinking of making a fake blue uniform, which says "Search Team" in white on the back or something, and carrying my portable ham radio in a holster... So the "locals" will mistake me for some sort of government agency and won't mug me while I am searching for old coins.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of my "best spots" are blighted inner city vacant lots -- that teem with trash and homeless folks / drifters ( 95% of which are harmless) ... however the fear of the dangerous 5 % it scares most detecting folks away - ...these old empty lots often once had wooden framed houses or stores upon them before the great Jacksonville , Florida fire of 1901 that wiped out most of the town ..not all the lots got rebuilt upon with brick buildings (it was a law after the fire for quite some time --if you were building it was with brick only) ..some lots were never rebuilt upon ..meaning other than the trash that's been dumped over the last 114 years ...its been "frozen" in time since 1901 ...yah I often carry "protection" of various kinds depending upon where I going to detect ..in the woods there can be wild rabid animals ..in the city there are also rabid beast as well .. two legged rabid beast ..driven crazy by drugs and booze and mental issues ..and not all are down and out looking either.
I am of the school of though that --"its better to have a gun and not need it , than to need a gun and not have it" .. my gun peacefully carried is no "threat" to anyone (other than those who wish to do evil to me -- and screw them cuz they don't matter-when its me vs them )
Yeah, it doesn't hurt to carry...no good reason I can think of not to carry.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DITTO!!!
40 yrs hunting never had a problem, don't need to try to impress anyone showing I carry

you lost me. what does a CCW have to do with impressing anyone? Do you not understand what concealed carry is? I haven't seen anybody here talking about carrying in order to impress anyone else.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
DITTO!!!
40 yrs hunting never had a problem, don't need to try to impress anyone showing I carry

Yep, so far I've wasted 20+ years wearing a seatbelt that just wasn't necessary.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DITTO!!!
Why would you show that you carry? Besides that's breaking the law and we law abiding Americans don't do that, criminals do that, you know, the ones with the guns.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many states allow open carry....

I have carried fire insurance all my life but never had a fire, got flood insurance and no floods so far, got life insurance and still alive, car insurance and only minor fender benders. I didn't buy those insurances to impress anyone either, I bought them in hopes I never need them, but just in case I do..... Same way with my carrying firearms, I carry in hopes I never need them but just in case I do....

Last edited:

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't carry a gun because I'm in the water 80% of the time. I do carry a knife that'll do damage and pepper spray also.if those fail I'll beat the perp with a 200.00 stainless steel pointed shovel until their momma won't recognize them. If that fails I'll throw my 10.00 in pennies at them and start screaming like a little girl...

OHmgoodness I needed that laugh (the visual was just hysterical =throwing pennies then screaming like a girl !LMAO!!!) thanks I needed that today ... My hubs carries, but I do not. Maybe I need to get a ccw permit.:thumbsup:8-):violent1:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simpy put: When you carry a hand gun you can protect your self and others,
especially those you love, from bodily harm and prevent your equipment
and what you have found from being stolen.

Police are there to enforce the law, they are seldom empowered or able to prevent crime.
When/if you become a victim, at best you will end up filing a police report - most likely your stolen equipment/treasure will never be returned (sigh).

At worst (your needless and un-timely demise), your next of kin must rely on justice, that is if the assailants are ever identified, arrested and tried.

Again simply put " Justice is merely the ruling of the Court" !
It is a matter of tradeoffs (expediance, cost, and objectives of those in power) often
it has little or nothing to do with fairness or being just.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
This is very common...
Many detectorists "carry" while detecting.

Coming and living in countries where "guns" are not common and where even if you have one (permit + declaration blablabla) you can't carry one with you "in one piece" : it's amazing.

I do carry a self defense flashlight + tear gas BUT a gun while detecting ???

I'm not judging the right to own a gun or not (it's a question of education), I just think some persons need to think a bit about violence escalation & proportional response.

In UK for example, the policeman don't carry any guns .... which I think in a way preserves bad guys from feeling the need to carry one.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our bad guys already have guns. WE also want our bad guys to fear for their life if they are going to try to rob someone. Look at the knife and ex attacks happening in countries with strict gun regulations. Look at the terrorist attack in your own country. They knew nobody would have a weapon to stop them. Thats why so many mass killings happen in "gun free" zones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread