Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,978
  • Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,972

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Re: Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??

Shhhhh ::)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Garrett is my "second in line" - it is my decent "come detecting with us, you can use this machine" machine.

Sometimes, we use it ourselves, also. They (Garretts) have their place in our home.

B

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT DFX MXT, many Minelabs, many Fishers, Tesoro Bandido, Lobo, Cortez, efx ground MX400, Treasure Commander TC2X, original Bounty Hunter Red Baron, and many more!

I don't agree that Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserve.

Been detecting for over 30 years and most I have come in contact with seem to respect Tesoro machines just fine. Now they may not be as highly regarded as White's, Minelab, Fisher, or Garrett, but that is simply because they don't manufacture detectors with all the bells and whistles the others do.

Many who detect develop "the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill" syndrome. They listen to others and read all the hype about another machine and convince themselves, "that machine with all those extra features will help me to find stuff my machine is missing now!" Off they go getting one of the high dollar models, .......... and then another, .............. and another, ..... and another. After lots of money spent and lots of time wasted they eventually will settle on a machine they feel very comfortable with, .................. until a NEW model with some new bells and whistles comes out and then off they go again.

Tesoro doesn't market to the "Bells and Whistles" crowd. They make good dependable high quality detectors which will last a long long time, ......................... and do a great job of finding whatever is out there. At one point I had a Whites XLT, Minelab Explorer II, Garrett 2500, Fisher CZ5, and a Tesoro Lobo ST. I loved using my Lobo ST on School sand playgrounds. I decided to do a little test. I carefully detected a sand school playground with the Tesoro Lobo ST, ........... finding a lot of Clad, 3 nice rings, and a hand full of paper clips and other assorted junk. I felt I went over the area pretty good with the Lobo ST, and then went back the next weekend with the Explorer. The Explorer fond one Penny, .... just one penny. I went back the following weekend with the Whites XLT, ................... and found nothing! Not a thing! What all this told me was the Tesoro did a real good job at finding just about everything there was to find in that sand, and my confidence in that machine really grew.

It is all about confidence in the machine, and many people need all the bells and whistles to feel that confidence, .... others do not but rely on the end results to speak for themselves. Tesoro machines don't rely on all those bell and whistles for market share, but have a great following by those who have used one and realize just how good they really are at doing what a metal detector does, ..................... finding metal.

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre

I believe that Tesoro is well respected. I have been at this hobby for over 25 years, tried them all & always go back to a Tesoro. Best machines made period. I find that the people that use Tesoro's are like Tesoro's detectors , good hard working not trying to stand out in the crowd, just get it down with simplicity & not wanting an extra crap just to brag over. I am sure Tesoro hears this everyday but I want to say it again - hats off to you all out there in Prescott,Arizona for building the best detectors with the best support/service. Steve.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably going to get myself in trouble here but I am someone who doesn't give Tesoro any respect. I briefly looked at them this spring when buying a midrange detector and I never could get over the feeling they weren't that much better than my Fisher 1265x that I was replacing. I looked at the Tejon and the Cortez and I couldn't help but notice how similar the Tejon was to my 25 yr old Fisher. My 1265 had amazing depth on coins and the battery life is better than the Tejon. What would I have gained with the Tejon? The Cortez had the visual ID I was looking for but it had terrible battery life. Besides that I don't see many posts claiming great depth on coins with the Cortez. I am not trying to insult or hurt anyones feeling but I believer the original poster is correct that Tesoro's don't get respect. I think Tesoro's are a good solid detector with a great warranty but I don't view them as "cutting edge".

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Speaking about depth, my Tesoro Vaquero has given me signals below the 12-14" inches I dug, below roots and rocks (possibly big iron, but who knows?). I have now three holes unfinished on my own forest land, that I have to return to with different tools to find out what it is so deep.

I have been running it nearly 100% of the time in super tune; full threshold, 10+ on sensitivity, and swing slow and diligently. I have a bucket more crap and few more keepers over land I "cleaned-out" with a Whites and a Garrett, both machines more expensive than the Vaquero.

It is true, at this moment, I have never found a coin below 8" yet. (6 weeks with the Vaquero)

Color me satisfied.

Besides, I hate computers, as well. Between this one and the car's, I have enough anyway to go wrong and cause heartache.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldnow said:
Speaking about depth, my Tesoro Vaquero has given me signals below the 12-14" inches I dug, below roots and rocks (possibly big iron, but who knows?).
I have been running it nearly 100% of the time in super tune; full threshold, 10+ on sensitivity, and swing slow and diligently. I have a bucket more crap and few more keepers over land I "cleaned-out" with a Whites and a Garrett, both machines more expensive than the Vaquero.

It is true, at this moment, I have never found a coin below 8" yet. (6 weeks with the Vaquero)
Color me satisfied.
This is the one problem I have with the Vaquero: it loves iron. You would think that as easy as iron is to phase detect, there would be fewer issues with it. I thought the Fisher 1200 series were bad about it, but the Vaquero equals them. At least the Fishers crackle and pop over iron, which in a way, is a sort of iron ID function. Wound out or not, the Vaquero is an iron hog.

Surprisingly, I've had equal success with my Golden. In cleared fields and deep woods, at high SENS and Supertuned, the Golden gets depth like the "V" - but it ID's iron in the bargain! The Vaquero can only wish to do that.
I did some comparisons last season, and I found nothing with the "V," that my Golden couldn't also hit! There may be times and places where that isn't true, but they are gonna be few, it seems.

I like the Vaquero, for it's beep and dig simplicity. But I've ended up shaking my head over it - and looking around for it's replacement. I already have a nice beep/dig model in my Fisher 1236X2, and which I like better in it's iron response.

So, if you are one who believes in indicators, as I am, that surely means something. Which worries me; I want to like the Vaquero... but I just can't get down with it.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

dahut, I agree 100%. The vaquero loves iron and so does the silver u-max. I have dug a lot of iron with both. The way I see it you must dig the iron to find all the goodies. Too many times I've dug iron and have a signal show up just a few inches away that wasn't there before the iron was removed. Nothing special, a shotgun brass or a small piece of copper. But any one of those items could have been a rare coin or other relic. Iron masking is real, and it is real with all detectors. :wink:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RPG said:
dahut, I agree 100%. The vaquero loves iron and so does the silver u-max. I have dug a lot of iron with both. The way I see it you must dig the iron to find all the goodies. Too many times I've dug iron and have a signal show up just a few inches away that wasn't there before the iron was removed. Nothing special, a shotgun brass or a small piece of copper. But any one of those items could have been a rare coin or other relic. Iron masking is real, and it is real with all detectors. :wink:
In other words, dig it all. As you say - "you must dig the iron to find all the goodies."

I've thought the same thing for many years. Then the reason for my discontent was born

I watched another detector just this weekend, one with iron ID, bust it wide open. It was a trashy lot, and I mean T-R-A-S-H-Y, filled with iron detritus. Where our Tesoros would simply "click" or go nuts over the iron (like my Vaquero with it's sniper coil), his would "itsy beep" in between the iron tones and tip him off. He would dig a goodie there, while we scratched our heads. I saw it myself.
He didn't clear away the iron, first, either - he was able to listen around it.

There is no forum rhetoric or feel good rationale in what I'm saying - believe me, I've said the same things as you in 22 years of detecting. No, this wasn't that at all. It was 'real world' and, frankly, it left me agog, along with a few others.

I'm also sorry to say it wasn't a Tesoro detector which he used. I wont mention the name here, just that it was a very common TID detector, also with a sniper coil.

I know the Holy Grail exists, friends, for I have seen it.

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

I chose the Vaquero for my land conditions and what I'm looking for; Very Old larger size iron relics. And while I'm looking for them, it always nice to pick up the coins, gold rings, and other keepers.

The Vaquero does a 100% great job on discriminating out small iron such as nails, and has many voices to tell me what I may be about to dig. I dig just about everything because that is what I like to do. Get in the dirt and search, with gold hoards dancing in my brain, waiting for my pinpointer to sing her song of discovery.

In the short time I have had this machine (6 weeks), it has already paid for itself, if I sold the finds.

I usually do a 2 hour hunt at a time, and am digging constantly, What more should I ask for?

Maybe a flat screen wrist TV monitor that sees into the earth connected to a miniscule camera attached to my index finger, and shows me in vivid color and in 3-D all angles of the item already cleaned, with instant eBay results on that item streaming at the bottom of the screen, before I get my knees grass stained, all for under $400..

Dale Simmons

Dec 24, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Equinox 600

I've owned a Minelab Safari and X-Terra 70. I had a White's MXT and an M6. I also had a Fisher CZ3D and a F5.
I now own a Tesoro Golden uMax, Silver uMax, and a Deleon. Oh yea, I still own the M6.
I prefer to hunt with my Golden over all the detectors that I've owned.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dale Simmons said:
I've owned a Minelab Safari... X-Terra 70... White's MXT... M6... Fisher CZ3D... F5
I now own a Tesoro Golden uMax, Silver uMax, and a Deleon. Oh yea, I still own the M6.
I prefer to hunt with my Golden over all the detectors that I've owned.
The Golden is a real good'un. It is my favorite Tesoro, along with the Tiger Shark.

I like to try all sorts of detectors and I'm not ashamed to say I have a bunch of 'em, right now, from all different makers. I'm not one of those who turns his nose up any but a certain type or brand.
You know how it goes with some poeple - they wouldn't touch any but their pet brand and will only talk up those. In fact, I'll be using a White's XLT and Classic ID in the coming season, as I've just made some nice deals for these.
Thanks to my sellers! :notworthy:

I also expect to be sellin' my Vaquero, if anyone is interested. And, truth be told, I would even sell my beloved Tiger Shark, if I could find the right deal on a CZ-21.
But there is one detector I will never sell, as long as I can swing a coil... the Golden.

It is a standing rule with me that whatever may come along, the Golden (or it's successor) will be in my battery.

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

I bought a very worn second hand Lobo 15 years ago and it was probably an eight year old machine at the time. I beat the heck out of it in the mountains of north Ga over the years and it was like my Honda Accord, it just kept going. I bought it for 225$ and just recently sold it for 125$ which I now believe I should have kept it cuz it was worth more than that. I sent it to Tesoro to look over and all I had to do was pay for shipping to them. They went over it and repaired a few things I didn't really have an issue with, and then they sent it back. All free of charge. I liked that machine,quality,warranty so much I went out and bought me another used Lobo but this one is a Supertraq. For the money they are without a doubt the best detector I have ever owned. I could keep going on and on about them for the fact that this is such a short changed world we live in, but not if your dealing with Tesoro, not one bit! DISCLOSURE:Like any detector though you need to buy the one that is manufactured for the ground you will be in, do your home work before buying ANY detector! Happy hunting.

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100, Pioneer 101

Great question! I am trying to find one locally...only one I found was a used Sand Shark in a pawn shop for a little under $500.
I wanted to snatch it up and laugh like a mad scientist....but I didn't.
Don't trust pawn shops with no warranty/guarantee for anything over $50!
So I am waiting and counting on my birthday in a month :wink:

So far everyone seems to love theirs!

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010

i'm 60, retired, and new to the hobby. fixed retirement funds makes me do a lot of research and reading these forums before i buy anything. most people here seem to have had a lot of different machines and buy and sell them fairly quickly but the good thing is i can read and learn. i got an ace 250 and really learned it after about 50 hours and it's deadly for anything 6" and under. just got the vaquero and am taking the time to learn it. it definitely goes deeper than the ace but at local city parks, the ace is fine for me. i'm getting the impression that someone with a mid-range machine who knows it will do better than someone with a much better machine who's still in the learning curve. i've dug everything metal out of my back yard with the ace but am finding even more stuff with the vaquero. i think it will be a deadly machine once i learn it. at the age of 60, i'll stick with the tesoro (and it's warrantee!)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

RPG said:
It's not that they don't get the respect they deserve. Tesoro users don't post and complain very often because they don't have time to.

They're out there finding treasure. :headbang:
I like this response best!

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

jeff of pa said:
This is the answer I Give when
asked.

"They Look & Feel like toys".

I Am not saying they are toys,
I Know many who would argue that.
I just believe these are the Main 2 Reasons.

Jeff, I think that answer has a lot of truth to it.
The price is low and the look is inexpensive.
Too small to have any real guts.
A larger control box would help give the impression there is something in there.

Doesn't Tesoro have any real marketing guru's on their payroll?

Plus they are the same old models that have been around for years.
Hasn't electronics, computer chips, and software improved any over these years?
Where are the improvements in the Tesoro line since the Tejon the Cibalo, and Vaquerio?
Are they the current state of the art in detectors?
Sure they still work as good as they ever did ... but so does my Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro.
The Big Bud works BETTER than the new Bounty Hunters but that is another story.

In the academic world you research and publish ... or you stagnate and die.
Where are the new and improved Tesoro's with some visual analyzing features?
Look at where Fisher, Omega, and Teknetics are going.
They may not detect any better than the ones from 20 years ago ... but they sure look like they can.

Bottom line ... detectors are tools and Tesoro is ... like Craftsman ... a good solid tool with a great warranty.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

You have a point for sure Willie. I like their simplicity, light weight and looks. People look at you like you have a toy, but thats ok. when I dig that nice coin or relic. To each there own, I like things that have been around and proven. I see now there making detectors to apeal to the eye, yes some come with advanced computers, but I will keep the nobs and when I want an eye appealing I will look at motorcycles. Keep it light, simple and effective Tesoro! :icon_thumright:

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

it seems, to me at least, that the tesoros are more of a relic machine.

Please dont let my Golden Umax hear that...lol. I clean up on coins with my Golden, and I hunt with a guy who has a fancy schmansy Minelab. While he is busy looking at his screen and trying to remember TID numbers, I am digging the goodies. He is impressed by the Tesoro's, I gotta say I am as well.

Plenty of respect for them where I am at.

LittleJohn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread