Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Re: Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??

Well we use the black sheep of the tesoro clan the shadow x2s, when the time comes we ever have to replace them it will be with other tesoro products we like the light weight, great sensitivity to small gold. While Bobbie hasnt used anything but her x2 over the last 9 years I have used detectors from all the manufacturers except for minelab and I know that I still prefer simplicity
hh
dave+bobbie

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its like people just want to have a lot of bells and whistles so they can say look at me while they spend an hour tuning their machine.lol. I like tesoro they work just fine and are a work horse in getting things out of the ground. Quick easy and tough. :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

There are not many replies from UK members on this thread, and I'm not supprised :P ten years ago there would have been more, because the tesoro lobo Super traq was the most respected detector in the UK, but they haven't kept up with the modern detectors that are here now :dontknow:

SS

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Silver Searcher said:

There are not many replies from UK members on this thread, and I'm not supprised :P ten years ago there would have been more, because the tesoro lobo Super traq was the most respected detector in the UK, but they haven't kept up with the modern detectors that are here now :dontknow:

SS

Kept Up? Please explain.

Reading this entire post, I see people who say the paint jobs are not "new and updated" or that the control boxes are too small, or that they just "look like toys".

Fact is these machines do quite a fine job at what they were designed for. The limiting factor to these machines however, in my opinion, is the operators ability to manipulate the controls available, and understand how they really work.

I can see a generation of diggers on the horizon, who wont be satisfied unless they can plug in their Ipod's, text message, and maybe even watch a tv show in the top corner of their detectors. I will just say this....

The people who "REALLY" know how to use these machines, could probably care less about "keeping up" with anybody, because they are out having fun and digging treasure. I hope some day I can learn how to use the machines I have....cause I am just learning, and it's a whole lotta fun already.

LittleJohn

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LittleJohn said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Kept Up? Please explain.

Reading this entire post, I see people who say the paint jobs are not "new and updated" or that the control boxes are too small, or that they just "look like toys".

Fact is these machines do quite a fine job at what they were designed for. The limiting factor to these machines however, in my opinion, is the operators ability to manipulate the controls available, and understand how they really work.

I can see a generation of diggers on the horizon, who wont be satisfied unless they can plug in their Ipod's, text message, and maybe even watch a tv show in the top corner of their detectors. I will just say this....

The people who "REALLY" know how to use these machines, could probably care less about "keeping up" with anybody, because they are out having fun and digging treasure. I hope some day I can learn how to use the machines I have....cause I am just learning, and it's a whole lotta fun already.

LittleJohn
Like I said the tesoro is out dated compared to detectors that are used today here, they are mainly used as back up machines now, were as once they were the front runners. As soon as the XP Goldmaxx, and the Minelab Machines came onto the market, with it's faster recovery in Iron infested sites, the LST droped in popular use. This also reflected the drop in price for them, basically they failed to keep up with the UK market, were fast recovery in Iron infested sites is a must. Weight was another issue, although they have the lighter models, they are not as good as the LST. perhaps Tesoro arn't interested in the UK market :dontknow: But if they are interested to get back to the top of the Tree, they need to bring out a Higher Frequency detector, to give the XPs and Minelabs a run for there money...it's a big market.

SS

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

....both play music, both have a dial you can whip with your fingers.....but...
I know which one I would rather listen to music on.

It's the same with my detector.....I'm a dial man.

Attachments

• analog.jpg
    analog.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,706
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE

I LOVE SILVER UMAX BUT......minelab etrac finds DEEPER COINS that the silver

can only dream of finding.even w the10x12 coil.

different machines have differnt uses. i love to detect sites...etrac first digging hi

tones only for obvious coins. then take silver and clean up a lot of in between stuff

then the etrac again for super deepies an low tone gold.

together they are a great team.

and as always nothing is perfect etrac is a bite to pinpoint with.

silver has poor depth in hi discrim.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If what suits you and what you hunt is a Tesoro, then by all means buy a Tesoro.

For what I do, Beach, Water, Prospecting, cache, and deep nugget hunting, no Tesoro can hold a candle to any of my Minelabs or my Fisher Gemini (two-box). If I was a relic or coin hunter, I would probably own a couple of Tesoros.

Best-Mike

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca

Tesoro the quite tuff dependable fighter with a great chin...Analogy,,cars..everyone brags that their giant expensive gadget laden car that brews expresso,parks itself,an talks is THEE one to own..Thats great if you wanna gee-whiz sum splittail.but if you look at a nascar it taint nuthin but down to bussiness...Personnaly i think its not the machine but the person behind it!Different take ..look at deer hunting,which closely resembles our sport, research a site,try to "read" the site,be patient,BE THE DEER or to find lost treasure, you have to be where treasure IS. You can have a machine that detects a 3cent silver on edge ina box of nails at 25ft...digs it for you..cleans its as the "what date is it" mode goes...slabs and markets it for you thru its internet display.,,,,.does that mean you turn it on an the gadgets pulls you to treasure?..I bet i can kill a blacktail with my old wornout .22 than 90% of you fellas with a $10,000 rifle ona 4wheeler with the Gander Mountian complete line in his pocket.why? had the gun 35yrs..i know it well,butcha gotta know the deer better .. What i'm ringin out here people,, is you have to place that 10" or so of coil over treasure to find it. Jus cuz you drive a million$ Lamborgini, does that really make you think you can go around the track faster than Jeff Gordon..??..snap! he cud out drive most ina school bus..Advise..dont fall fer all the spin that the brand an gadgets find treasure..YOU an YOU alone finds it.. Now, dont get me wrong, ther are small differences in machine at this point..bells n whistles when the machine RECOVERS it.. but you still had to get it there..that in itself aint easy,,Soros are easy on you,, yer budget, yer arm, easy to learn an even easier to develop a close,almost instinctive relationship..like a simple man that learns...Learn yer machine..learn it well,then ferget machines fer a while an concentrate on lookin at yer site..You are more important than the stick in yer hand, cuz thats all it is untill you find treasure.. Tesoros let you keep yer head up, not always lookin down at displays,programs an fancy LCDs..i walk an old site an go back in time which is sumtimes hard to do..but mostly with the thot that I AM the pioneer who lost his gold piece..except i have a thing that beeps when I get it over the goods..i like to tell my machine whats down there, not the other way roun..Me an my BanditoMM2 usually dont have time to wish fer gee-whiz..too busy on my knees diggin..A true THer cud find a lost coin with a broom,cuz hes upgraded his techniques an research,not by takin the easy way out and sayin"its my machine"...i once hunted an old cabin allday an after my 6th silver i noticed my machine didnt even have batteries in it...lol...if yer not findin treasure its yer fault!! not sum beepin stick that sumhow convinced you that it finds treasure..not you..Dont be a victim of yer own stick..yull go blind mama said..well enough crazy talk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No offense, but do you realize how hard it is to read a continuous long post that has no paragraphs....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

It's hard to read oh ya it is hard to read..........

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,731
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,766

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000

I just purchased a Tejon last week and tried it out on Tuesday. I was looking for a machine that would detect deep objects. I got a fairly strong hit that sounded like it was maybe a coin and started digging...and digging...and digging. I started thinking I had not centered the object properly. I removed another inch or two and found the signal was no longer in the hole. That last shovelful of dirt contained a small 1/2" diameter brass button. After checking the depth of the hole with a tape measure, I determined the button had been 12"-14" deep. I think I am going to really enjoy using this detector!

M

miser

Well, I just ordered a Silver uMax from 4-H that is making its way here via UPS.

I've heard too many good things about Tesoro. I have to try one.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

miser said:
Well, I just ordered a Silver uMax from 4-H that is making its way here via UPS.

I've heard too many good things about Tesoro. I have to try one.

You're going to love that Silver. It has a fast recovery. It will find a dime laying next to a nail in a heart beat. It's light weight and you can swing it all day. You should get very good depth in that Fl. sand.

Good luck.
Randy

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
This is the answer I Give when
asked.

"They Look & Feel like toys".

I Am not saying they are toys,
I Know many who would argue that.
I just believe these are the Main 2 Reasons.

And I love to play with my Tejon, particularly when it pulls up those deep fur trade rings.

Attachments

• IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,455

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro have always been a great machine providing excellent performance, great value and that unbeatable warranty.
The Tesoro knockers in the U.K. will say we don't get the same warranty (only two years) but you can return your detectr to the U.S. after this period and enjoy the same benefits as American buyers.

To suggest that the frequency makes an XP a better choice and that Tesoro lack a high frequency detector is a little odd with the XP Goldmaxx running at 18.0 kHz and the Tejon at 17.5. Also if you intend to use a XP for deep targets or on pasture then you need to buy a second machine and XP do have a large range all of which run at 4.6 kHz except for the rather expensive Deus that will run any of its four (4,8,12 and 18 kHz one at a time).

Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000

After hearing all these postitive coments about Tesoros, i am strongly considering purchasing one. Now i have to decide which one would best suit me. Which one is best for Cache hunting, depth, and gold/silver?

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

Treasure_Hunter said:
No offense, but do you realize how hard it is to read a continuous long post that has no paragraphs....
I agree. The poster may have had great information to share, but I will not read those types of posts. Not looking for perfect grammar, punctuation and paragraphs breaks are a novel idea.

As for Tesoro, I have a Tejon that I am still learning. I have been a White's user for 25 years, and I am getting worn out with the weight. I am also getting tired of all of the settings. I love the simplicity of the Tesoro. BUT, the final feature that closed the deal for me is the warranty.

In fact, I am thinking about getting another Tesoro strictly for coin shooting. May look at one of the uMax models.

Use whatever you want. It's your money.
Dan

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

I've been detecting for 20 years and have owned many machines. Most have been very usable. I like Whites and Fisher a great deal. But Tesoro caught my eye a few years back after reading about them on other forums. So I got a Vaquero, then DeLeon, and now a Cibola. I like all three but find the Cibola in my Key West soil to be as deep a detector as I've ever used. This included an E-Trac I have. The single frequency Cibola detects quarters and dimes deeper than my E-Trac by about 2 inches.

This has blown my mind and made me rethink how much you have to pay in order to get good depth.

Funny thing about this Cibola; it's a fixed ground balance yet out-reaches my Vaquero with ground balance. Both detectors are deep in my coral/limestone soil but the Cibola wins.

If I were starting out in detecting today, I'd never buy a metered machine again and only use a Cibola. I get two, in fact. One to use and one for backup.

Old Town

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Old Town said:
I've been detecting for 20 years and have owned many machines. Most have been very usable. I like Whites and Fisher a great deal. But Tesoro caught my eye a few years back after reading about them on other forums. So I got a Vaquero, then DeLeon, and now a Cibola. I like all three but find the Cibola in my Key West soil to be as deep a detector as I've ever used. This included an E-Trac I have. The single frequency Cibola detects quarters and dimes deeper than my E-Trac by about 2 inches.

This has blown my mind and made me rethink how much you have to pay in order to get good depth.

Funny thing about this Cibola; it's a fixed ground balance yet out-reaches my Vaquero with ground balance. Both detectors are deep in my coral/limestone soil but the Cibola wins.

If I were starting out in detecting today, I'd never buy a metered machine again and only use a Cibola. I get two, in fact. One to use and one for backup.

Old Town

Old Town,

Thank you for your post on the Cibola. That is a very interesting comment you made comparing it to your E-Trac. I have heard a lot of comparisions to the Vaquaro and TeJon as far as super depth,but not the Cibola. The Cibola is not my favorite model in the Tesoro lineup, but maybe I should do some more testing? Have you done any air testing between the three?
As you know, Tesoro is not big on metered detectors. Care must be taken not to over rely on a meter to decide to dig or not. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread