Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Re: Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??

Very interesting Old town. I have an Etrac coming today and of course it will take a while for this low tech guy to get the hang of it, I will be interested on how it does compared to my Tejon. Maybe when I get a handle on the etrac, I will bring the Tejon and try to test it at the same time. That won''t be for some time though, LOL. Thanks for your post :coffee2:

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Have you done any air testing between the three?

Hello, Joe.

The first thing I do with any detector is air test it. I test them in the manner I plan to use them. That is I do not bother to test in all-metal as I never hunt that way. I test with discrimination just above small iron and with sensitivity at max.

The Vaquero when tested this way air tests at 11" on clad quarters. Silver does not detect any deeper than clad in my experience.

The DeLeon tested at 9.5" on a clad quarter in my air test.

The Cibola I have may be an anomaly because when set to disc out small iron and super-tuned with threshold all the way over and sensitivity maxed, it hits quarters at 13.5 inches very clearly. It will go 13 inches in my test garden on clad or silver quarters. No other detector I own, or have owned, will sound a quarter at this depth in my soil. This includes an E-Trac and F-75. Both good detectors but both unable to hear the 13" quarter. I have no explanation for this. I only wish I'd tested a Cibola before buying those other two detectors.

I have some friends who own and use Tesoro Cibola's down here. Their machines give a similar result. It was testing one of their Cibola's in the first place that sent me out to get one of my own. How the Cibola will work in other places in the country is anybody's guess. But for me, it remains the deepest coin detector to date. Plus it runs dead quiet even when running wide open. You either get a beep or you get silence. This thing is simplicity itself and very lightweight. For 340 bucks you could buy three of them and put different coils on them to cover every need and still spend less than for an E-Trac which the Cibola beats anyway for depth. For me, a coin hound, deep is most important.

Old Town

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Old Town ,

I have ONE word: WOW!

Back to the drawing board for me. In your last paragraph you mentioned trying different coils,that also would be very interesting to see the results on. I have been detecting for 43 year's and using Tesoro's since they came out but somehow that Cibola slipped through the crack on me. Thanks again for posting. Joe

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

U.K. Brian said:
Tesoro have always been a great machine providing excellent performance, great value and that unbeatable warranty.
The Tesoro knockers in the U.K. will say we don't get the same warranty (only two years) but you can return your detectr to the U.S. after this period and enjoy the same benefits as American buyers.

To suggest that the frequency makes an XP a better choice and that Tesoro lack a high frequency detector is a little odd with the XP Goldmaxx running at 18.0 kHz and the Tejon at 17.5. Also if you intend to use a XP for deep targets or on pasture then you need to buy a second machine and XP do have a large range all of which run at 4.6 kHz except for the rather expensive Deus that will run any of its four (4,8,12 and 18 kHz one at a time).
Just seen this reply, and guess it was aimed at me, I'm not a knocker of tesoro, I used to own one for six years.
The XP is way faster at recovory than the LST and all the people I know(a lot) all switched from the Lst to XP for this reason, Look how much they go for now, you can pick a good second hand one up for £250, the same machine would have set you back £450-£500, before the XP came out.
And I have said before the XP isn't much use on pasture, the MEXP11 are way better...are you a dealer by the way?

If they still are as good now as you say, why are the so devalued now, bit different here detecting, than it is in the US, I found some nice stuff with my Tesoro LST, but I'v three times as much stuff with the XP.

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are a knocker of Tesoro because you state that they don't make a high frequency (or was it need a high frequency machine ?) half a KHz is no difference at all with the Tejon. You insist on making a comparison with a detector thats been on the market for years rather than their later products.

As for detector prices since the introduction of the T2 and F75, XP prices fell dramatically when people realised they could detect both plough and pasture with one machine rather than two. The original post was about Tesoro so bringing in the subject of a European detector thats totally unsuitable for U.S. use is a little strange.

No I'm not a detector dealer just someone who has a range of detectors that anyone is welcome to try so they can find out the real facts without parting with any money.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

U.K. Brian said:
You are a knocker of Tesoro because you state that they don't make a high frequency (or was it need a high frequency machine ?) half a KHz is no difference at all with the Tejon. You insist on making a comparison with a detector thats been on the market for years rather than their later products.

As for detector prices since the introduction of the T2 and F75, XP prices fell dramatically when people realised they could detect both plough and pasture with one machine rather than two. The original post was about Tesoro so bringing in the subject of a European detector thats totally unsuitable for U.S. use is a little strange.

No I'm not a detector dealer just someone who has a range of detectors that anyone is welcome to try so they can find out the real facts without parting with any money.
Never said anything about the High frequency :icon_scratch: my point was that they had dropped in favour with the UK market, and they have, and it's because they haven't kept up with the UK market or don't want to :dontknow: XP prices dropped, I don't think so when I first bought mine it was £550 and £125 for the cordless phones, try buying one for that now £700+ headphones on Regtons site.

My point all along was that they had fell behind the UK market, reflected by the price drop of the most popular...The LST Most people in the UK hunt on ploughed and rolled land, stubble and set aside..fields that have constantly been turned...no need for depth, and the XP is simply the best in these conditions, I like the Tesoro always have, but I think they could make a detector to rival XP if they wanted, guess the US market is big enough.

SS

RKW

Aug 11, 2010
Four Corners of New Mexico

Willee said:
Plus they are the same old models that have been around for years.
Hasn't electronics, computer chips, and software improved any over these years?
Where are the improvements in the Tesoro line since the Tejon the Cibalo, and Vaquerio?
Are they the current state of the art in detectors?
Sure they still work as good as they ever did ... but so does my Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro.
The Big Bud works BETTER than the new Bounty Hunters but that is another story.

In the academic world you research and publish ... or you stagnate and die.
Where are the new and improved Tesoro's with some visual analyzing features?
Look at where Fisher, Omega, and Teknetics are going.
They may not detect any better than the ones from 20 years ago ... but they sure look like they can.

Bottom line ... detectors are tools and Tesoro is ... like Craftsman ... a good solid tool with a great warranty.

Maybe they read your post. I looked at the Tesoro website and some of the model descriptions, specifically the Silver uMax, tout the high-tech internal upgrades that the detector has received over the years, while still maintaining the simplicity and lightness of the original design. So I'm guessing they probably do detect better than the Tesoros from 20 years ago.

I like your analogy to the Craftsman tools.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro still have huge sales in the U.K. XP in the States none. Those who have imported privately have soon sold the detectors on.

Re Tesoro failing to keep up by not bringing out a higher frequency machine. They produced higher frequency machines than XP for years until the Goldmaxx came out five or six years back and then produced the Tejon that is virtually the same frequency. Your statement that you have forgotten in this thread is "They (Tesoro) need to bring out a higher frequency detector to give XP's and Minelabs a run for their money". They did do.

Another assumption is that the whole of Britain sits at home waiting for the crops to come out so that finds can be ploughed to the surface to be picked up. Vast areas of the North and West are rarely ploughed. That means deep machines are necessary.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

U.K. Brian said:
Tesoro still have huge sales in the U.K. XP in the States none. Those who have imported privately have soon sold the detectors on.

Re Tesoro failing to keep up by not bringing out a higher frequency machine. They produced higher frequency machines than XP for years until the Goldmaxx came out five or six years back and then produced the Tejon that is virtually the same frequency. Your statement that you have forgotten in this thread is "They (Tesoro) need to bring out a higher frequency detector to give XP's and Minelabs a run for their money". They did do.

Another assumption is that the whole of Britain sits at home waiting for the crops to come out so that finds can be ploughed to the surface to be picked up. Vast areas of the North and West are rarely ploughed. That means deep machines are necessary.
Ok fair enough...but the fact is the XP is a way better, faster and lighter machine, even though it only has a little higher frequency. As for you saying that Tesoro have huge sales in the UK, how would you know :icon_scratch: and XP in the States none, well I bet that Minelab sell quite a few, you can't say that they have'nt eaten into Tesoros market.
The fact remains that they are not as popular here or the states, because they ar'nt as good....hence the price now..Fact. A Tesoro LST was £699 new to buy when I started detecting in 2000, the same machine now costs £550.

And your rediculas statement about the whole of Britain sitting at home.....well. I travel all over the UK in my line of work, never had any problems seing ploughed fields in Scotland, can't speak for Wales though ??? Do you acually detect :icon_scratch:

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Full time detecting and you need ploughed fields you can detect on. Modern farming practise is to get one crop out and the next in.

You still insist on referring to a Tesoro that has been out for many, many years and was designed for finding natural gold. It was pressed into service in Europe because it was also effective for shallow hammered coins and had such positive iron rejection (better than the XP's). Time passed and the Wolftrax came out (still not a super deep seeker but not designed to be). The Tejon Pro will keep up with or beat the Goldmaxx/Goldmaxx Power any time for depth and is still produces hammered but at a lower price as the British currency dropped more against the dollar than the Euro. There's also a much wider range of coils and better warranty. With stock coils its the XP's that are the heavier detectors which is why your machine will have the control box mounted under the armrest where you can't easily see your settings.

Re detector numbers sold just ask the dealers but not the one with distribution rights for XP's. You have seen the comments on the Cibola. Look for some who have upgraded it with a ground balance control. As for Minelab BBS and FBS hit every brand's sales as so many wanted an all round machine that can work both land and wet beach. Expensive, heavy and slow recovery speed but much more general purpose than a machine restricted to a narrow band of iron rejection and no true ground balance.

Attachments

• keyssmall.jpg
    keyssmall.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 615
  • scan0005_640x480.jpg
    scan0005_640x480.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 576
  • 09240006.JPG
    09240006.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 22sovereignss.jpg
    22sovereignss.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 625
  • P6210334.jpg
    P6210334.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 607
  • keyssmall.jpg
    keyssmall.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 601
  • P6210326A.jpg
    P6210326A.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 621
  • P6210333.jpg
    P6210333.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 598
  • Jan Finds.jpg
    Jan Finds.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Buttons 012.jpg
    Buttons 012.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 579
  • scan0005_640x480.jpg
    scan0005_640x480.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 558
  • Statue.jpg
    Statue.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 574
  • Uscoins.jpg
    Uscoins.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Seals 2.jpg
    Seals 2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 579

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

superb finds i like that roman action action figuire!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

U.K. Brian said:
Full time detecting and you need ploughed fields you can detect on. Modern farming practise is to get one crop out and the next in.

You still insist on referring to a Tesoro that has been out for many, many years and was designed for finding natural gold. It was pressed into service in Europe because it was also effective for shallow hammered coins and had such positive iron rejection (better than the XP's). Time passed and the Wolftrax came out (still not a super deep seeker but not designed to be). The Tejon Pro will keep up with or beat the Goldmaxx/Goldmaxx Power any time for depth and is still produces hammered but at a lower price as the British currency dropped more against the dollar than the Euro. There's also a much wider range of coils and better warranty. With stock coils its the XP's that are the heavier detectors which is why your machine will have the control box mounted under the armrest where you can't easily see your settings.

Re detector numbers sold just ask the dealers but not the one with distribution rights for XP's. You have seen the comments on the Cibola. Look for some who have upgraded it with a ground balance control. As for Minelab BBS and FBS hit every brand's sales as so many wanted an all round machine that can work both land and wet beach. Expensive, heavy and slow recovery speed but much more general purpose than a machine restricted to a narrow band of iron rejection and no true ground balance.
I don't need ploughed fields to detect on, I refered to the LST because that was the one that got the Hammered, and everybody recommended it to me, I had one for six years , as did most of the people I talked to who had been hunting years before me.
My Hammered rate quadroupled when I bought the XP(which you keep knocking) and the fact still remains that most of the people who had a Tesoro, got rid...for the XP, as for the weight, well all I can say is for me they are way lighter than most of the Tesoros, apart from the plasticky ones.
Pretty pictures...I know you have looked at mine, just a note, since I bought the XP it's very rare I return home without a Hammered, I bought the XP in late 2007, when I still had the Lobo, it took me three months to get used to it. I usually hunt one or two days in a weekend...the Hammered count for me now since bying the XP is over 200....Nice finds by the Way :icon_thumleft:

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another weird post. I still have a Goldmaxx and it has its place. Its also plastic and not way lighter than the Tesoro's. Have you tried Tesoro's since they moved from the big metal boxes of the Eldorado original Gold Sabre ?

The original post was why Tesoro don't seem get the respect it deserved. The answer is they don't need books or reams of instructions to get the best out of them (so not as many forums) and people like to compare more expensive new designs with fifeteen year old ones rather than newer models with new coils such as the Tejon Pro with the 12x10 spider coil (and I'm being a little hard on the old Tesoro's if you check out the Dutch test site results for the Laser B3 (British Bandido version v many of the latest detectors).

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

UK Brian, never discount the need people have to justify their very expensive detector no matter how well another less expensive and less sophisticated detector works. I truly believe most folks in all activities associate spending money with superior result. Maybe true sometimes, but not always.

I first used a Tesoro after a friend bought one. For my conditions here in Florida, the Cibola is deeper and far more stable and easy to use then both my E-trac and F-75. I wish this were not the case as those other two cost a ton. For 340 dollars the Cibola is a better choice for me. Can't speak of other soil conditions and would think the E-Trac and Fisher would do better in minerals.

This is just a case of one very good inexpensive device beating a supposedly better machine in certain conditions. They happen to be my conditions so I go with the machine without thought of price.

One poster compared Volkswagen cars to Ferrari's. He said the Italian car had to be better. But I once drove an original Mini (1968 model) with it's little 12" tires. That car could corner and handle tight streets better than any race car every made. Plus it was surprisingly quick off the mark. I'd rather be in a Mini if being chased by one of Ian Flemming's villains. Others can have the Ferrari and crash into the trash cans in spectacular fashion.

This is how I now feel about detectors.

Old Town

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Town said:
UK Brian, never discount the need people have to justify their very expensive detector no matter how well another less expensive and less sophisticated detector works. I truly believe most folks in all activities associate spending money with superior result. Maybe true sometimes, but not always.

I first used a Tesoro after a friend bought one. For my conditions here in Florida, the Cibola is deeper and far more stable and easy to use then both my E-trac and F-75. I wish this were not the case as those other two cost a ton. For 340 dollars the Cibola is a better choice for me. Can't speak of other soil conditions and would think the E-Trac and Fisher would do better in minerals.

This is just a case of one very good inexpensive device beating a supposedly better machine in certain conditions. They happen to be my conditions so I go with the machine without thought of price.

One poster compared Volkswagen cars to Ferrari's. He said the Italian car had to be better. But I once drove an original Mini (1968 model) with it's little 12" tires. That car could corner and handle tight streets better than any race car every made. Plus it was surprisingly quick off the mark. I'd rather be in a Mini if being chased by one of Ian Flemming's villains. Others can have the Ferrari and crash into the trash cans in spectacular fashion.

This is how I now feel about detectors.

Old Town
:icon_scratch: ???

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Okay, Silver. I'll connect the dots.

The Cibola is the Mini Cooper. The Ferrari is the E-trac. In a race those two should not be even. In some cases, like heavy minerals, (flat straightaway) the E-trac wins. But in my conditions here in Key West with our tight, tangled streets, the nimble Mini wins easily. The Ferrari can't make the turns, crashes into the trash cans or phone poles or whatever. My soil is fluffy and non-mineral. My Cibola (the Mini) is perfect for my soil conditions, my "race course". It makes the E-trac look silly and plodding.

Explaining your similes to an Englishman is funny in a way I can't explain. (seeing how you lads invented the language LOL)

Old Town

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Town said:
Okay, Silver. I'll connect the dots.

The Cibola is the Mini Cooper. The Ferrari is the E-trac. In a race those two should not be even. In some cases, like heavy minerals, (flat straightaway) the E-trac wins. But in my conditions here in Key West with our tight, tangled streets, the nimble Mini wins easily. The Ferrari can't make the turns, crashes into the trash cans or phone poles or whatever. My soil is fluffy and non-mineral. My Cibola (the Mini) is perfect for my soil conditions, my "race course". It makes the E-trac look silly and plodding.

Explaining your similes to an Englishman is funny in a way I can't explain. (seeing how you lads invented the language LOL)

Old Town
I didn't need an explanation, I knew what you meant ??? just wondered why you butted in :dontknow: the conditions here are totally different ???

SS

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Silver, it's a public forum. You boys want a private conversation go email or PM. I thought everyone on a public forum understood this.

What you were discussing was the merits of one detector over another. The single most common topic on a metal detecting forum. If you feel your conditions are so unique, why bother share with the rest of the world in the first place?

I think what's really bothering you is I support your companion in this discussion. You think you have the better detector and he disagrees. I happen to agree with your pal. I don't have to know what your dirt is like to pick a dog in this very public fight. Please understand this and don't question those who read your non-private discussions. It's what drives forums in the first place.

Old Town

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Town said:
Silver, it's a public forum. You boys want a private conversation go email or PM. I thought everyone on a public forum understood this.

What you were discussing was the merits of one detector over another. The single most common topic on a metal detecting forum. If you feel your conditions are so unique, why bother share with the rest of the world in the first place?

I think what's really bothering you is I support your companion in this discussion. You think you have the better detector and he disagrees. I happen to agree with your pal. I don't have to know what your dirt is like to pick a dog in this very public fight. Please understand this and don't question those who read your non-private discussions. It's what drives forums in the first place.

Old Town
No it doesn't bother me you supporting Brian...and I don't think my conditions unique either :icon_scratch: and it's not a public fight either...it's a discussion.

And I don't need a HUGE array of detectors, to find what I'm looking for ::) my comments were based on experience, and I thought I would pass them on. A find rate that has dramatically increased since using the XP.

SS

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Silver, with that last post you seem like a decent guy. You didn't try to get the last angry, clever remark. Actually this puts you somewhat above me as I tend to push things too far. I admire your sportsmanship.

I hope at some point you can add to one of my posts when I'm goring some shmuck who likes the Ace 250. (You can even be the bad guy - doesn't bother me.) I hate the Ace 250 and never miss a chance to downgrade it.

Old Town

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread