Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes, mums the word :)

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves? well... that issue doesn't bother me at all :dontknow:

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
I have my cibola , and so far so good . Returned two vdi machines , they were just to random. Maybe in the upper priced ones they get better . The build quality seems better to me that the others in the same price range . I'm a very picky person and will return at the drop of a hat if it doesn't do what it is suppose . I'm a m&e appraiser and have been in about all types of plants . Watch them make knock offs exactly the same as big name and people are fooled . Batteries , I personally have been in duracells plants and the no name brands are exactly the same . No dufferance at all , just a different cover . So save moneys folks . Personally I don't care about the name as long as it does what it says .

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used???

I have my cibola , and so far so good . Returned two vdi machines , they were just to random. Maybe in the upper priced ones they get better . The build quality seems better to me that the others in the same price range . I'm a very picky person and will return at the drop of a hat if it doesn't do what it is suppose . I'm a m&e appraiser and have been in about all types of plants . Watch them make knock offs exactly the same as big name and people are fooled . Batteries , I personally have been in duracells plants and the no name brands are exactly the same . No dufferance at all , just a different cover . So save moneys folks . Personally I don't care about the name as long as it does what it says .

I found a Used Tesoro Cibola Metal Detector in New condition !! - $275 so he says,can anyone tell me if this is a good price or not..

Thanks..

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New Retail $425- Street Price for $361.25 $275 used, I think it is, although for under $90- more you could have a new one.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is the answer I Give when
asked.

"They Look & Feel like toys".

I Am not saying they are toys,
I Know many who would argue that.
I just believe these are the Main 2 Reasons.

Tesoro's are buildt with exactly what they need to be the best in their class. The lightness, and compact size are what attracted me in the first place to Tesoro. Also, since a least the 90's, the plastic housing has been made with a material that shields the control box from stray signals. If anybody wanted proof on that I have an article from Lost Treasure done on the Tesoro Diablo II that says that exact thing. Big, blocky, metal control boxes don't denote quality, they add cost and weight for little reason.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro's are buildt with exactly what they need to be the best in their class. The lightness, and compact size are what attracted me in the first place to Tesoro. Also, since a least the 90's, the plastic housing has been made with a material that shields the control box from stray signals. If anybody wanted proof on that I have an article from Lost Treasure done on the Tesoro Diablo II that says that exact thing. Big, blocky, metal control boxes don't denote quality, they add cost and weight for little reason.

Well put Nuggetshooter. Simple is better IMHO! No bells, screens, or wrong VDI numbers! Just solid performance on a well built, tried and true platform! And after 1-2 hours the featherweight of units really shines through!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they did all that they would lose me. I prefer performance without the bells and whistles, Tesoro does this better than anyone else. I think Kellyco not carrying them is one reason, also a lot of newer detectorists are lured by the visual ID and other gimmicks, thinking Tesoro not having them makes them inferior. I went through a phase where I felt I needed these, but found the beep and dig Tesoros and never looked back. To each there own, but Tesoro suits me fine the way they are.

Kellyco does carry Tesoro.

Question, do the Tesoro give a different sound for different type targets? Scratchy for iron? Bells for silver? Anything?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Question, do the Tesoro give a different sound for different type targets? Scratchy for iron? Bells for silver? Anything?

No bells, bleeps, dings, dongs. No rubberized/raised bubble buttons. Just really smooth control knobs and switches. I use discrimination and tone strength/signature to identify target type and depth.

bj139

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011

The discriminate control sets what material gives a stuttered signal as if it is being clipped. There is a short tone then a tic sound. Size does matter since big iron will give a good signal when set to discriminate iron. Raising the coil and sweeping will enable you to determine if it is a big target deep or a small target shallow.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of people seem to be concentrating on air tests, air testing is not a good test of any metal detector's actual ability in real world ground conditions. The ability of any metal detector will constantly be changing, depending on the current conditions of the ground below, the ground minerals, level of the minerals, the length of time the item has been in the ground, metal content of the target, magnetic interference near by and even the type and size of the coil currently being used.........

Excals and Sovereigns do not airtest well, but I have pulled up tiny targets well over 12 to 16 inches deep with both my Excals and Sovereigns..... I couldn't care less about how many inches my detector sees a quarter or dime in the air, I care about how deep it sees a gold ring with precious stones or diamonds under 4 feet of salt water and 12+ inches of wet sand, black sand or deep dirt......That is the true test of a detector.... :icon_thumright:

I agree, air testing is totally useless. Your testing a condition that will never exist, total lack of mineralization. The only thing your confirming is, does it work. Searching for gold nuggets is a prime example, a detector like a Gold Bug 2 might air test on a 1/4 ounce nugget at 12"-14", the main reason for that kind of air test is the GB2 is crazy sensitive and the coils are concentric. Put that nugget in the type of mineralized soil you have in gold country, and you might get 2"-6". So you see, that air test has no bearing on real life. Gold nugget hunters usually carry a small nugget glued on a poker chip or a card, and when they get to a new area use that nugget to tune their detector for that specific soil.

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of all the detectors I have owned my old golden sabre found quite a bit for me. And I could tell when I was going to dig Silver by the warm squeal it would give me :)
If they ever make a Multi tone machine and freqs they may win me back.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoyed most of the post here except for the guy that claimed that he found 6 silver before he realized that he didn't have any batteries in his detector!? Wth.

I have a old tesoro silver saber, I loved it. I decided to upgrade and went with the whites V3i. It's a technical wonder, but it takes a lot of adjustment and learning to do well with it. Simple by no means. I find myself wondering if I can get a tejon and may be more happier with it.

Once I decided to get the v3i, I went over a section of my yard two times very thourghly with the Tesoro silver saber. I had found alot with the Tesoro so I didn't expect to find much more with the V3i. Well I was Damn wrong, I found a crap load more. I was super impressed with the V. But as I said I am begining to miss the turn on and go simplicity. I will always respect Tesoro for that and their liftime warranty.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no idiot 'numbers" screens or digital programs or "possible" depth gauges to deal with -- just a old school sound based type machine * solid well made , simple to use and understand , takes a bit of ear tuning to use properly but once trained -- off you go.

for some folks point of view "simple" can not be as good as "complex" --at least not in their point of view -- just like n many folks point of view some that cost more "has" to be better than something that cost less.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I took a old analog tracker iv and showed folks that once properly tuned in # 3 disc mode --that it could tell the difference in many pulltabs and a gold ring -- some were able to be disced out totally and on the ones that were not discible the sound of the pulltab was crackly vs a clear strong tone for the ring --sometimes the older knob analong tracker iv''s are not as "useless" as folks today think they are.---many folks at my metal detecting club were shocked that a mere $100 machine could do that.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
The Tejon and the Vaquero are the only Tesoros that transfers the GB setting from the AM to the disc. mode. All the rest have a pre set GB including the Lobo ST.
The Outlaw transfers the GB setting to disc mode.The Outlaw is a super sweet metal detector.

wilhitr

Jan 6, 2013
Benton
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT 705 & Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When something is on the top everyone wants to knock it down..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread