Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• f p cibola.jpg
    f p cibola.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 767

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??

You read a lot how Tesoro's gets great depth and I just don't understand how that can be true on most of their machines.
In order to get decent depth out of any machine you have to be able to ground balance it and most of their machines are preset. Even the Cortes which I happen to own only ground balances in A/M and is preset in Disc mode.
I've done air test on it and with sens set on 10 all I can get is 6-6.5 inches on a dime, that's the same as my F2. If I hypertune it and put it in boost mode I can just get 8 inches on a dime but I've never been able to hunt that way because it becomes unstable. In the A/M mode the air test aren't much better.
So far my experience in the field is proving out my air test results.
Don't get me wrong I like the Tesoro brand and I especially like the Cortes setup and features it just I was looking for something that ground balanced and went deeper than my F2. In todays market I think the Cortes is over priced now that I bought one.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Good points all. I do live in an area of fluffy soil with no minerals. My machines (all brands) pretty much detect for me up to their air test potential. Just so happens all my Tesoros test very well. The Cibola is the best air test machine I've ever tested but have seen variations between 2 models of the same type. But overall, my Tesoro's - Cibola, Tejon, and Vaquero all hit air test quarters at a foot. More in the case of the Cibola. I get 13.5" with mine. Over a foot on a dime or real copper penny.

Not even my E-trac can match this air test or ground test. Can't speak to other soils around the country.

OT

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In the last 20 years I've owned a variety of machines including Tesoros. Some I really liked (F5) and some I hated (Ace, GTI2500). My favorite machine? The Tejon! I had one then got sucked into the TDI craze, sold the Tejon, and the quality of my finds dropped. True, I dug less trash, but I also stopped finding rings because I came to rely on the display too much.

Just the other day I took my new Tejon out in my backyard (which has been covered by every machine I've had) and I found 5 pennys. Nothing special about the coins other then the fact that I would have bet money that I had the yard cleaned out already. So then I did a little test. I went out to a very small area on my front boulevard. I've only been over the area with a couple of machines, found a few coins, but never hit it aggressively. I took one of my all time favorite machines, the F5, out and went over the area. Some low tones and nothing worth digging. Then I took the Tejon out to the same small area and easily found a 1950 nickel and a newer nickel.

So now I'm convinced that it's better to beep and dig then to let the display talk you out of it. And for beep-and-dig machines, Tesoro can't be beat.

Favorite Tesoros that I've owned: Tejon, Golden ­uMax
Least favorite: Cortes (a mediocre attempt to get into the TDI market)

Dan

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Dan, I recently got a Tejon after using other Tesoro's. I have to agree it's the best. I like my Cibola but do not have to worry about minerals. The Tejon gives you ground balance and would be better in more places around the country.

Like you, I've given up on metered machines. All they do is restrict your digging. None are accurate enough for me and all slow me down greatly as I watch the stupid numbers jump around and then settle into something that is wrong anyway. So no more VDIs. Give me depth every time.

Tesoro's have proven best for my area.

OT

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ive read several of post on here so their is couple thing that id like to say about Tesoro. I bought a tesoro when they first came out and was impressed with them. good detector & good price.later i i decided to become a dealer witch i did, now thats the only detector i sell .Id match them up with any on the market. When my granddaughter wants to hunt she comes in the shop and picks up the silver umax ,she is 9yr. olds so their pretty simple to used. I cant keep used tesoro because they sell fast .Them again most would rather pay a little more and get the liftime warranty.
I use the Tejon mostly & yes you can pin point with it. good all around machine , i would like to see a coil thats is about 3 inches to get into those trashy places. The Delon & Cortes has TID but myself im old shcool if it sounds good dig it.Im not much for what shows up on the screen.
I hunted in a competion hunt about 3 weeks ago their was all differant brands you could tell when certain machine got close to each other the the operator would look at each other and they would walk differant ways i could walk right next to anybody and it wouldnt intefear with anybody so they are great for that kind of competion .
The Cibola has a switch you can adjust the frequency on it for the hunter who like to change.
Last but not least is pricing Tesoro control what dealer price the machine at, that way their is no cut throat going on as far as selling . A dealer can loose their licence to sell ,if not selling within the guide line .
My hats off to tesoro

Attachments

• cibolaface.jpg
    cibolaface.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 433

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My new high tone Cibola arrived today.

A dime air tested at 6", a quarter at 7".

Not bad, but nowhere near Old Town's findings.

Hang on to that machine. It might be a nuclear powered test model! ;D

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I have never used any other brands and after reading all these posts I don't know if I would want to. "

I did, now I'm back with my second Tejon. Save yourself the expense and bother, stick with Tesoro.

Dan

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Cibola air test -

Dime 10"

Quarter 12"

Supertuned, disc just above iron.

Curious note: Silver dime will not air test as good as a clad dime. Only 8" :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot of people seem to be concentrating on air tests, air testing is not a good test of any metal detector's actual ability in real world ground conditions. The ability of any metal detector will constantly be changing, depending on the current conditions of the ground below, the ground minerals, level of the minerals, the length of time the item has been in the ground, metal content of the target, magnetic interference near by and even the type and size of the coil currently being used.........

Excals and Sovereigns do not airtest well, but I have pulled up tiny targets well over 12 to 16 inches deep with both my Excals and Sovereigns..... I couldn't care less about how many inches my detector sees a quarter or dime in the air, I care about how deep it sees a gold ring with precious stones or diamonds under 4 feet of salt water and 12+ inches of wet sand, black sand or deep dirt......That is the true test of a detector.... :icon_thumright:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

thrillathahunt said:
My Cibola air test -

Dime 10"

Quarter 12"

That's about what my Cib used to get.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter said:
A lot of people seem to be concentrating on air tests, air testing is not a good test of any metal detector's actual ability in real world ground conditions. The ability of any metal detector will constantly be changing, depending on the current conditions of the ground below, the ground minerals, level of the minerals, the length of time the item has been in the ground, metal content of the target, magnetic interference near by and even the type and size of the coil currently being used.........

Excals and Sovereigns do not airtest well, but I have pulled up tiny targets well over 12 to 16 inches deep with both my Excals and Sovereigns..... I couldn't care less about how many inches my detector sees a quarter or dime in the air, I care about how deep it sees a gold ring with precious stones or diamonds under 4 feet of salt water and 12+ inches of wet sand, black sand or deep dirt......That is the true test of a detector.... :icon_thumright:

When an air test is done correctly and measured correctly what you find is the detectors max depth that it can reach. It's even more true on a unit that has a preset ground balance.

The reason is because of ground minerals causing interference - effecting depth. You don't have that with an air test.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

19Blockhead64 said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

When an air test is done correctly and measured correctly what you find is the detectors max depth that it can reach. It's even more true on a unit that has a preset ground balance.

The reason is because of ground minerals causing interference - effecting depth. You don't have that with an air test.

Sorry sir, no offense but I have to disagree, both my Excals and Sovereigns go well over twice the depth of their airtests on targets in the ground.... Airtest on my Whites 6000 XL PRO is also less then the true depth it get on targets in the ground....

What is important ( at least to me anyway) is what my detectors actually get in the ground, with the presence of ground minerals, (especially salt), black sand, magnetic interference and being able to skip all tiny pieces of iron.

Air test will show how sensitive a detector is to different metals in the air, but does not give the true depth a detector will see the same object in the ground.

Here is what Andy Sabisch had to say on it.

" Minelab FBS detectors are terrible when air tested and not much better on a freshly buried target. I have seen a Whites XLT air test on a quarter at 24" . . . but I challenge anyone to come close to even half that on a buried target. When we have done side-by-side testing with FBS-detectors (Explorer, Quattro, Safari, E-Trac) and other brands, the only real test is on a long-time buried target which we mark with a poker chip or golf tee and compare all the detectors to before disturbing ANY of the soil."

Good hunting to you :icon_thumright:....

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter - no offense taken.

I found the opposite to be true that an air test to me is a good indicator as to a detectors max depth. All things being equal.

As far as a detector finding deeper coins in the ground over an air test result has more to do with the halo effect and length of time in the ground and ground conditions. The halo effect coupled with the surrounding minerals will make the target appear larger. Which will vary from place to place even if it's nothing more than a few feet apart. That's why I take air test into account.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Those that think air testing reveals anything about a detectors abaility to detect targets deeper is only fooling themselves.
The people that really know ... know better.
Air checks have a useful purpose but determining the ground penetrating ability of a detector aint it.

Also Tesoro detectors DO get the respect they deserve from the people that use them and love them.
Different strokes for different folks ... and that is a good thing.
The great thing about this hobby is that one fella can have just as much fun detecting a school ground recovering clad coins with a $200 detector
as another can have searching the Sierra Mountains for gold nuggets with a $5,000 detector.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess that's what makes the detector industry live. Some people like detectors that have screen after screen of programs and settings. Others like to twist a couple knobs and go. There is a detector out there for everyone. Me personally, I have no interest in something like a V3, because I spend all day at work with complicated programs and mental gymnastics. When it's time to get out with my detector, I just want to twist a knob or 2 and get to it.

Dan

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that's what makes the detector industry live. Some people like detectors that have screen after screen of programs and settings. Others like to twist a couple knobs and go. There is a detector out there for everyone. Me personally, I have no interest in something like a V3, because I spend all day at work with complicated programs and mental gymnastics. When it's time to get out with my detector, I just want to twist a knob or 2 and get to it.

Dan

Exactly DanB! I am new to Tesoro and love the simplicity of controls and audio sound. Just ran my sand shark around dry land to get used to controls and wow I love it! Dug a small piece of iron the size of a 10 penny nail in back yard at 21" All i heard was a faint "whisper" on the threshold. I'm planning on a Vaquero next for land hunting. I really like the solid feel of Tesoro knobs and controls over a rubberized buttons and screens of my Garrett since I use computers and vibration analyzers all day at my job.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly DanB! I am new to Tesoro and love the simplicity of controls and audio sound. Just ran my sand shark around dry land to get used to controls and wow I love it! Dug a small piece of iron the size of a 10 penny nail in back yard at 21" All i heard was a faint "whisper" on the threshold. I'm planning on a Vaquero next for land hunting. I really like the solid feel of Tesoro knobs and controls over a rubberized buttons and screens of my Garrett since I use computers and vibration analyzers all day at my job.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

SSSSHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Keep it down Fletch! You want all those guys with those other machines finding out about Tesoro quality, depth and simplicity? :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread