Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

I'm super excited. We're finally finishing up the last of the remodel on our house in prep for selling. The house was built in 1900 and I've always hoped to find something cool in the walls. Well today, leaning up against the freezer in the pantry in a spot that's been hidden for years by some old shelves I found a Model 1902 Winchester, about the cutest little bolt-action rifle you've ever seen. It's only 33" long! It has a broken trigger guard and some damage to the stock, but no real rust.

I'll get pics up later this evening. Can't seem too excited right now or my wife will get annoyed (she doesn't like guns).

Upvote 0

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find.....The value of the thrill is priceless...however...

sale value is between $125-200 in very good condition which yours looks to be in...if not better :o
They were made to be a kids gun....before we knew you could get hurt, ah the good old days, single shot, bolt action and a darn good squirrel and rabbit gun in it's day.

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

I went to a large gun show here in Vt. 2-3-08. I saw one of those little single shots that was refinished. Stock was redone and barrel apeared to have been reblued. It was tagged at $295.00. I have one just like it that is in original condition. It still shoots nice but the stock has a 2 inch crack in it. Im always looking for a replacement stock but have yet to find one. I think if I could locate a person that can work with wood I could probably have one made. By the way winchester rifles have had a history of always going up in value. Nice Find :)

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used

Not sure if I want to mount it in my office, or carry it when heading out into the wilds for extended prospecting trips. It's small and light enough that it might be worth having "just in case". Never know when you're going to break down or worse yet, get injured out in the middle of nowhere...

In any case, I'd like to get it to a decent gunsmith eventually and get it tightened up. I'd also love to find a trigger guard to replace the broken one on it.

Undertaker, this site has replica stocks in walnut: http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=980810&chrSuperSKU=&MC=YJ

There was another site I found the other day as well, but am not finding it today. Also saw one on eBay. Best of luck with your search, and let me know if you see any trigger guards while you're at it. :)

1962Vdub

Feb 1, 2008
H-town MD
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

One little word for that find SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

very cool find can't wait to here what else you find good luck and hh

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

You were right! I rushed home to find the pics of your find and oh my oh my! I would be ECSTATIC! Great find my friend!!

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

NICE RIFLE. IT LOOKS LIKE A YOUTH RIFLE. I HAVE A FEW. BEEN COLLECTING THEN FOR 30 YEARS.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500

Swet find. Hope ther is more hiding around ther somewhere.
Tennessee Joe

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used

Eathan thank you for the info on where to find a stock for my 1902 single shot. I purchased a repro stock today that should work just fine. I was also thinking of rebluing the barrell but I like the old worn finish so I think I will keep it the way it is. I will keep the original cracked stock and if I ever sell it I will let it go with the rifle. I hope you find a trigger guard and I will keep a look out for one. Thanks Again.

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used

undertaker, glad to help!

Would you mind doing me a favor and taking a closeup pic of the bolt that holds your barrel on the stock? My barrel has a slight bit of play and I want to make sure it's the original bolt.

Thanks much if you can, and no worries if you can't.

And thanks again all!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice! I have one similar .Great straight shooting little gun! Love it . My father had one as a kid.He said they sold out of sears and roebuck for 12 dollars new.

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used

eathan here is a couple of pics of the bolt that holds the stock to the barrel...sorry it took so long to get you the pics. Also are some pics of my 1902 restored. I found a repro stock on ebay and I brought it to a local gunsmith to have him put it on. He talked me into complete restoration which meant blueing also. I wish I had a before pic as stock was cracked badly and barrel was brown from pits and rust.

Attachments

• 150.JPG
    150.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,058
  • 157.JPG
    157.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • 154.JPG
    154.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 151.JPG
    151.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,056

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

They are both beautiful! What a find!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Super find!
Great woodwork on the new stock. Looks beautiful.
I have a 1903 pump that was handed down.
You got yours for free. (Just buy a house, spend zillions of dollars remodeling, refurbish .22, ect.) :wink:
Happy for you.
Joe

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

Metal detectors and guns,,,,,,,, kinda makes ya feel all tingly don't it?

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used

Undertaker, thanks for posting the pics! The restoration turned out great!

I'm saving a copy of the trigger guard pic in case I eventually have to have one made. The thumbscrew looks like the same as the one on mine, so it might just be the crack in the stock causing the play. Maybe I'll grab one of those repro stocks and check out a gunsmith once we finally get the housing situation settled. Does the bolt remove from yours?

BTW, I think yours is from the earlier years of their production because it lists Short and Long as ammo types, where mine says "Short, Long or Extra Long". I think they did a short only version first, but I may be wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread