Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

I'm super excited. We're finally finishing up the last of the remodel on our house in prep for selling. The house was built in 1900 and I've always hoped to find something cool in the walls. Well today, leaning up against the freezer in the pantry in a spot that's been hidden for years by some old shelves I found a Model 1902 Winchester, about the cutest little bolt-action rifle you've ever seen. It's only 33" long! It has a broken trigger guard and some damage to the stock, but no real rust.

I'll get pics up later this evening. Can't seem too excited right now or my wife will get annoyed (she doesn't like guns).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Re: Winchester Model 1902 Short, Long & Extra Long

TreasureTales, that's the very bit I was trying to remember. I knew mine was after 1914, but couldn't remember if that Q&A had said there was a short only version or if the short/long was the first. Thanks for posting the link again.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer

That really is a sweet little rifle there my friend. It would have been a varmit gun most likely. Varmits being rodents (rats) squirrels, rabbits, gophers etc etc. Here in Kentucky, many a man..er.. boy learned to shoot and hunt with just such rifles. The single shot, most common among small calibers like the 22, instilled if not ensured that the user have a good aim. Especially if they were hunting for dinner table supplements, or dinner itself.
I've seen a few examples of that same model rifle at gun shows and "flea markets" over the years, and invariably they are all well used and perhaps slightly worn, and pricey! If you ever do decide to part with it, first take it to a reputable gun smith and have it checked for safety and if it's "operable". If it is, have the smith furnish you with a certificate of some sort signifying that it is still operable. That little bit of paper could increase the value and therefore the price of the gun should you want to sell it.
I would keep it myself, but then I like small arms and would make room for it somewhere. I might even take it out for a spin once in a while, if only to plink cans or paper targets. I don't hunt so much anymore, don't see the need to kill something if you're not intending to eat it, or it's not endangering me or mine in some unavoidable way. You got to watch out for those rabid killer squirrels and those mythical rabbits from Monty Python fame.. you know, the ones with "..Sharp Pointy Teeth... RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!.."

Again, cool find!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i saw a newer looking one(same as undertakers) at gander mountain for 150 beans Almost bought it :-\

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used

It's certainly a neat little gun. As my best find to date (even though no detector was involved), it'll probably end up hanging in our showroom when we finally get a new building. Come to think of it, Garrett better hurry up with the repairs to my detetctor so I can add to my meager collection of finds for future display. Might be a little embarrassing otherwise...

1 Merc - eyeball
1 Walking Liberty - eyeball
1 Winchester - eyeball
Bunch of clad and iron junk - detector

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Looks like a somebodies little squirrel gun. I would find some old looking gun hangers and hang it on the wall. Pretty neat.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'd like to know the history of that. Just think of all the things hidden away in the walls and under the floors of all the homes in america

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions